Gagne, Lofton to the Rangers

Balta1701

That's too much to pay for a reliever who was dominant for a while but then again may have had much of his success due to steroids and is one false move away from another arm surgery.

Texas has no clue how to spend their money.

Gagne is awesome when healthy and a fun player to watch. I hope he'll pan out and stay healthy. Still a ton of money for an injury prone guy and the Lofton move is a decent one. The Dodgers did a nice job giving Kenny consistent rest and he rewarded them by having a pretty darn good season.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Gagne is awesome when healthy and a fun player to watch. I hope he'll pan out and stay healthy. Still a ton of money for an injury prone guy and the Lofton move is a decent one. The Dodgers did a nice job giving Kenny consistent rest and he rewarded them by having a pretty darn good season.

I don't. And I don't know why anyone would root for a steroid abuser to make a come back. Screw him.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I don't remember him being in any of the talks, nor have I ever considered him. So Balta's not the only one to think that way.

I know I've heard a few rumors crop up here and there, and he is one of those guys with a big performance spike and dropoff after 04, but as far as we know he hasn't tested positive, no one's produced documents and witnesses saying they injected him, he wasn't in Canseco's book, and no one found anything in his locker.

I'm not saying he for certain didn't, I'm saying that thus far I haven't seen anything that meets any standard of proof other than looking for a rapid rise and decline at about 02-04 (and with a fireballing pitcher, that can happen just from injuries too)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
I know I've heard a few rumors crop up here and there, and he is one of those guys with a big performance spike and dropoff after 04, but as far as we know he hasn't tested positive, no one's produced documents and witnesses saying they injected him, he wasn't in Canseco's book, and no one found anything in his locker.

I'm not saying he for certain didn't, I'm saying that thus far I haven't seen anything that meets any standard of proof other than looking for a rapid rise and decline at about 02-04 (and with a fireballing pitcher, that can happen just from injuries too)

Agreed on the second part. By saying what I said, I'm not saying I won't be surprised if he was found to have used steroids at some point. However, I don't feel he deserves to be held in the same regard as Bonds, Sosa, and McGwire yet.

He juiced, quit being naive.

There's a reason he all of the sudden got really good and is now injured just about all of the time.

I don't need a positive test or a needle in his locker to determine that. It's the truth.

Usually when someone is on steriods there are rumors and talk. I haven't heard any about him. That's not saying he isn't but I don't think it's likely.

Pitchers use steroids more for endurance and the ability to recover faster, not to throw harder.

Gagne is a lot like Bonds, from my viewpoint. Both were amazing to watch during their big "run", as they've dominated their position like no one else has before them. However, it's hard to ignore the changes to their body, as well as what happened to them as soon as the steroid testing came into play. I remember watching Gagne face the Cubs when he was a starter, and he was a skinny guy throwing around 92 mph. The next year, here comes the huge guy throwing 98 or 99 mph to the plate.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Gagne is a lot like Bonds, from my viewpoint. Both were amazing to watch during their big "run", as they've dominated their position like no one else has before them. However, it's hard to ignore the changes to their body, as well as what happened to them as soon as the steroid testing came into play. I remember watching Gagne face the Cubs when he was a starter, and he was a skinny guy throwing around 92 mph. The next year, here comes the huge guy throwing 98 or 99 mph to the plate.

That's not good enough. I need a needle directly out of his ass to be sure about this one.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
I remember watching Gagne face the Cubs when he was a starter, and he was a skinny guy throwing around 92 mph. The next year, here comes the huge guy throwing 98 or 99 mph to the plate.

http://www.superiorsportsinvestments.com/8950

Here's a rookie picture of Gagne. I would hardly call that "skinny".

And really? A guy throwing harder as a reliever than as a starter? Who'd'a thunk it...

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
That's not good enough. I need a needle directly out of his ass to be sure about this one.

Enough with the smart-ass remarks. I haven't even heard his name in any kind of rumors. I get suspicious of people that have certain appearance changes and people that get their names listed for this and that, just as anyone else in the world does. However, I've seen neither when it comes to Gagne, and that's been my point all along.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 01:35 AM)
Enough with the smart-ass remarks. I haven't even heard his name in any kind of rumors. I get suspicious of people that have certain appearance changes and people that get their names listed for this and that, just as anyone else in the world does. However, I've seen neither when it comes to Gagne, and that's been my point all along.

I actually recall an article in SI a few years back where they were shocked at how some baseball players came into the offseason looking like professional wrestlers, in regards to their body. Those players were Trot Nixon, Eric Gagne, and the immortal Ben Davis.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 06:08 AM)
I actually recall an article in SI a few years back where they were shocked at how some baseball players came into the offseason looking like professional wrestlers, in regards to their body. Those players were Trot Nixon, Eric Gagne, and the immortal Ben Davis.

Oh, right. More conjecture.

I like how you posted your little anecdote about how one year, Gagne was a "skinny" guy and the next year he was all muscular, despite the fact that in the rookie picture I posted, he's not what you would call "skinny" at all.

Nice one...

Gagne's been whispered about plenty. From the LA Times today:

Some will say that Gagne's physical breakdown was a clear example of the damage caused by steroids. Gagne denied using steroids, but in a baseball environment where everyone showing a drastic increase in power was guilty, he was always surrounded by whispers of suspicions.