Gagne, Lofton to the Rangers

Balta1701

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
I wonder if the LA Times ever referred to the possibility while Gagne was still a Dodger. Or, is this breaking news?

I'm not sure if they did. Most newspapers don't publish rumors or allegations about their star athletes cheating unless someone quite credible is willing to publicly attach themselves, so I'd imagine that LA didn't. I mean -- I'm sure you know, YASNY, about how much Gagne meant to the Dodgers, so I don't think so, but I think that the diction of the article acknowledges that the rumors were always around: "he was always surrounded by whispers of suspicions."

I've had my suspicions and I've heard it before plenty of times.

I'm just saying that I believe he was on steroids and it has been whispered about in plenty of places before, and apparently the LATimes have, too.

Yet a muscle bond first baseman who tears a bicep around the same time is viewed as clean as a whistle around here. But then, he's "our guy". And I am not accusing him, just pointing out that judgments get clouded by the color of a guy's uniform.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
Yet a muscle bond first baseman who tears a bicep around the same time is viewed as clean as a whistle around here. But then, he's "our guy". And I am not accusing him, just pointing out that judgments get clouded by the color of a guy's uniform.

:o

I wonder how soon until this ends up in SI, I mean I don't need a needle sticking out of his ass or anything... Look how much smaller he was as a rookie, and the strange injuries... etc

See how easy that is? Now the rumor is out there, and maybe we can ruin the guys life, career, reputation, hall of fame chances etc. All over some self-satisifying conjecture...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
:o

I wonder how soon until this ends up in SI, I mean I don't need a needle sticking out of his ass or anything... Look how much smaller he was as a rookie, and the strange injuries... etc

See how easy that is? Now the rumor is out there, and maybe we can ruin the guys life, career, reputation, hall of fame chances etc. All over some self-satisifying conjecture...

A little overblown, don't you think?

No less overblown than Milkman's comments about steroids, IMO.

Though I do get your point. Kind of. Disagree with it, though.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
A little overblown, don't you think?

No less overblown than Milkman's comments about steroids, IMO.

Though I do get your point. Kind of. Disagree with it, though.

No, it's not overblown. Something can happen to a quote can be taken out of context and twisted to fit a person's agenda and someone's reputation is raked over the coals. I've been on the receiving end of being quoted out of context ... in Sports Illustrated no less ... and it's not a pleasant experience.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
I would imagine it unlikely that Sports Illustrated will run a report about Milkman posting that he doesn't need a needle to prove to him that Gagne is a juicer.

SI quoted me ... from here! I would have imagined it would be unlikely too. But they did it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)

agreed 100%, which is why this is nothing more than a witch-hunt. So and so kind of looks like he maybe did steroids once, and by the end of the conversation, he's a full-blown roider.

This thread has quite a few empty accusations in it in an attempt to hurt a person's reputation...that's kinda referred to as libel.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
They already quoted a guy here about Clemens being on roids, why wouldn't they?

Not that it means much but I've heard more rumors of Clemens being on steriods than Gagne. Probably more because he is higher profile and not the most pleasant person to deal with, though.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 04:53 AM)
Not that it means much but I've heard more rumors of Clemens being on steriods than Gagne. Probably more because he is higher profile and not the most pleasant person to deal with, though.

and wasnt Clemens mentioned in Canseco's book? And as much of a scumbag person Jose Canseco is.... the names he put out all seem to be pretty legit.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
and wasnt Clemens mentioned in Canseco's book? And as much of a scumbag person Jose Canseco is.... the names he put out all seem to be pretty legit.

He was mentionned, but wasn't in the "I stuck the needle in his ass" group.

On Clemens, a teammate with the Red Sox, Blue Jays and Yankees: Canseco and Clemens "talked about what steroids could do for you, in which combination, and I've heard him use the phrase 'B-12 shot' with respect to others."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, told Newsday that Clemens denied using steroids but takes B-12 vitamin shots.

Link