Non-Tenders

CWSGuy406

Over at another board, I'm reading that Marcus Giles was non-tendered. Anyone else of significance?

We need to find our backup catcher here. Molina (Jose), Torrealba, Hall... one of the three. I'd love to see them grab Giles on a two-three year deal and trade Iguchi, but I doubt that'll happen.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Did Giles have no trade value or something?

From the AJC:

OK, on to Giles. The Braves weren’t able to complete a trade at last week’s winter meetings, where interest in Giles alone was tepid, at best. The Braves would’ve had to package him with another player to get a significant return, which is why they were willing to include him with Adam LaRoche in a proposal for Baltimore 2B Brian Roberts and pitching prospect Hayden Penn.

That deal was agreed upon and ready to be finalized before Orioles owner Peter Angelos killed it. Angelos didn’t want to give up Roberts, his team’s most popular player, even though the O’s would have “won” the trade in the eyes of most observers, since LaRoche is the best player in that deal, period.

Though Giles’ stats are comparable to Roberts’ numbers, there are less concerns about Roberts and the O’s believe his peak years are ahead of him. The same can’t be said for Giles, in the view of most.

A trade for Giles before Tuesday seems highly unlikely, because any interest team could wait to see if he’s non-tendered, them probably sign Giles for less than $6 mill - maybe a LOT less - and without giving up anything in a trade.

If the Braves non-tender him, it will be a financial decision based on Giles’ declined production and rising salary, which would be close to $6 million if the Braves tender him a contract. He’s a fifth-year arbitration-eligible player who’ll be eligible for free agency after the 2007 season.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
Did Giles have no trade value or something?

Guys who are rumored to be non-tender candidates have very little value. He was simply a salary casualty in Atlanta. If probable non-tenders are traded at all, it's for virtually nothing.

Freddy Garcia was nearly non-tendered in '04. The M's didn't like the trade proposals they had recieved, and hoped he would put together half a good season to up his value. Which is why you saw him moved in mid-June not late July.

AJ Pierzynski was non-tendered for being a jerk. IIRC, they acquired Mike Matheny before letting Pierzynski walk. They couldn't find a trade partner willing to take on Pierz.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
If im the cubs, im signing Giles right now. He had a somewhat down season last year, but is still younger and capable of producing at a high level.

Just speculating, but there may be some bad blood between Giles and the Cubs after Giles ended "Glass Joe"/Mark Prior's season a few years back.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the Dodgers non-tendered Toby Hall so there's a fine option right there for the Sox.

.....eh, maybe.

Not too sure how many teams are looking for a back up catcher, or a right handed back up catcher. I would rather have the Sox get Jose Molina while the Angels are down on him and have two guys ahead of him.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
Tampa Bay is laughing.

I thought the same thing, haha. What an epic trade. As for the list.....the name Joel Piniero caught up attention for some reason. Career record of 3 games over with a 4.45 and is only 28. I know he's not some sort of savior, but hey he's a non tender with similar numbers to pitches getting 9, 10 million a year in this market, only difference is he struggled badly the last 2 years, as opposed to 2 years earlier in his career.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
I would love for the Sox to go after Jayson Werth. The Illinois-born corner outfielder would look good out there against LHP if healthy.

Yeah, Springfield boy. He hits the LHP's, and his power numbers would improve quite a bit moving from Chavez-Ravine to The Cell. We only have 39 on the 40 after dumping Edwardo Sierra, so yeah (although that might be a sign we want to make another deal).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
.....eh, maybe.

Not too sure how many teams are looking for a back up catcher, or a right handed back up catcher. I would rather have the Sox get Jose Molina while the Angels are down on him and have two guys ahead of him.

and give up anything of potential value for him over just money?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:49 AM)
He was one of the most unimpressive pitchers we've faced in years. I think the Sox had 12 hits or so against him in 2+ innings.

Yeah, but he had surgery after going on the dl. Good minor league record, decent year before last. Homer Bailey can't take 2 spots in the rotation.

Hall makes sense as the backup catcher if the price is right. However he's probably going to want to go to a situation where he gets more playing time. Still he hits lefties very well, which is what we need for a backup catcher.

Jerome Williams is a guy I'd take a look at. Yeah he's not a great K guy, and he didn't do anything in the majors this season. But a few years ago, he looked like he had a great future for the Giants, and he did put up a 3.91 ERA for the Cubbies last season, which if you did this season as a FA, you'd be in line for a $10M a season contract.

I mean if we trade another starter, bringing in Williams to compete with Floyd, Haeger, Broadway and the young starter we would bring in from a trade couldn't hurt right?

Athletics non-tendered RHP Jerome Williams.

With inning eaters going for record amounts, Williams is very much worthy of a 40-man roster spot. Even if there's only a 10-20 percent chance of him fulfilling his past promise, he's a better gamble that plenty of the guys occupying spots elsewhere. The A's may have already worked out a deal to keep him around on a minor league contract.

Pineiro makes sense as a reliever, but some team is going to want him as a starter.

Scott Dohmann has a nice FB/Slider combo for a reliever. Could be worth looking at.

On Jayson Werth, what I want to know is can he handle CF adequately defensively? If so bring him in for a bench spot, and have Terrero down at CF for Charlotte.

I would be gleeful if we could sign Giles on the cheap and then deal Tada... Marcus would be very marketable for the Sox.

A career batting average of .285, including 2 seasons of .300+ and a penchant for hitting doubles (45+ in two seasons)!

Plus, he is still just 28.