LCD HDTV's

aboz56

I've been looking to get one for quite sometime, but have been holding off due to falling prices.

Just read the other day that prices will be coming down 30% in 2007.

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to what I want, but wanted to get some thoughts/feedback on the set you own or the one you're looking at...

One other thing is I'm seeing a lot of commercials about this company called Vizio and I took a look at a couple of their sets at Costco the other day and the picture seemed to stand up just fine against the competition, mainly a Sharp Aquos and a Phillips. Anyone have any experience dealing with them?

I'm zeroing in on the Panasonic TC-LX60, it's a 32" and I can get a pretty nice discount on it to take it to around $900 (shipped) through Panasonic's Direct site (my company has a partnership with Panasonic).

I am also shopping for a 40 in LCD for my bedroom. If you are going HD, make sure you go 1080 P. The 720's are already behind in the HD market. Also brands, I would go with Samsung, Hitachi, Phillips as some of my fav's. Im a HUGE fan of Hitachi and Samsung, but I think im going with the Samsung LCD.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
I am also shopping for a 40 in LCD for my bedroom. If you are going HD, make sure you go 1080 P. The 720's are already behind in the HD market. Also brands, I would go with Samsung, Hitachi, Phillips as some of my fav's. Im a HUGE fan of Hitachi and Samsung, but I think im going with the Samsung LCD.

It also depends what deal you get. I picked up a 1080i(720p) 37 inch for my bedroom for 499 on Black Friday. Its not 1080P, but for that price I can deal with it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
I've been looking to get one for quite sometime, but have been holding off due to falling prices.

Just read the other day that prices will be coming down 30% in 2007.

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to what I want, but wanted to get some thoughts/feedback on the set you own or the one you're looking at...

One other thing is I'm seeing a lot of commercials about this company called Vizio and I took a look at a couple of their sets at Costco the other day and the picture seemed to stand up just fine against the competition, mainly a Sharp Aquos and a Phillips. Anyone have any experience dealing with them?

I'm zeroing in on the Panasonic TC-LX60, it's a 32" and I can get a pretty nice discount on it to take it to around $900 (shipped) through Panasonic's Direct site (my company has a partnership with Panasonic).

I haven't been as impressed with the Vizio's. To me, the picture quality isn't as strong as a Panasonic, Phillips, Sharp, etc. My understanding is they have a high return rate at Costco compared to the other brands. That's not necessarily based on any hard numbers, just things I have heard.

Here is a good reference point for high-end TV's.

Best Buy Plasma (not affiliated with Best Buy retail stores)

Then take the model # and plug it into pricegrabber.com.

Buy.com has had some very good deals on Phillips plasmas (42" and 50") lately. I think they had one of the 42" models for around $1200 shipped recently.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
I haven't been as impressed with the Vizio's. To me, the picture quality isn't as strong as a Panasonic, Phillips, Sharp, etc. My understanding is they have a high return rate at Costco compared to the other brands. That's not necessarily based on any hard numbers, just things I have heard.

Here is a good reference point for high-end TV's.

Best Buy Plasma (not affiliated with Best Buy retail stores)

Then take the model # and plug it into pricegrabber.com.

Buy.com has had some very good deals on Phillips plasmas (42" and 50") lately. I think they had one of the 42" models for around $1200 shipped recently.

Thanks for the info, Rex.

The problem with 1080p today is there is no programming broadcasting in it.

Also, note that the Vizio's are a good value for what you pay. I just can't equate them with the others, price excluded. If you are thinking about going that route, then check them out carefully again. If the price and the picture works for you, then by all means, go for it.

Another very good resource for info on TV's...... There are also forums for HDTV programming, local HD info & reception, and everything else HD. You gotta search a little bit, but there is good info here.

AVS Forums

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)

I've read from a lot of places that the 1080P on screens 40 and smaller that the difference between 1080P and 1080I is almost non existent and that you might as well save the money and go with the 1080I set.

Personally I was looking between Plasma, LCD, & DLP and fell in love with DLP. I realize its not as trendy as the Plasma and LCD but I was able to purchase a 50 inch 1080P TV with a 10,000:1 contrast ratio (something I don't think many, if any LCD's are capable of doing and something that is standard on almost all Plasma TV's) for 1500 (and i had to pay zero tax and zero shipping fees). I have a Samsung and the thing is amazing, with two HDMI inputs as well as a couple component inputs (the thing has all the extra connections you could want) and is rated as being one of the best TV's out available at a fraction of the cost of most of them.

One thing you should be careful with is to make sure that if it is 1080P that both HDMI are 1080 and I'd recommend getting a TV that has two HDMI inputs because you get a better picture quality via HDMI. But with one of BluRay/HDDVD winning out and the PS3/Xbox360 (both of which have 1080P capabilities) I highly recommend having it (even though TV won't be broadcasted in 1080P).

And Boz from what I read the Vizio's were a pretty damn good buy. The Aquos is just a bit better of a set (Sharp makes a beautiful LCD) but its also quite a bit more. Oh and definately try and take advantage of one of the many online retailers that sell this bad boys tax free and without any shipping costs.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
And Boz from what I read the Vizio's were a pretty damn good buy. The Aquos is just a bit better of a set (Sharp makes a beautiful LCD) but its also quite a bit more. Oh and definately try and take advantage of one of the many online retailers that sell this bad boys tax free and without any shipping costs.

I also like that I can return essentially any TV I would potentially buy at Costco at anytime.

My three finalists are the Aquos (priced at 899.99 at Costco), the Vizio (699.99 at Costco) and the Panasonic which is rated higher than both for 923 (retails at 1200.00 but I get a discount through Panasonic Direct as well as free shipping).

I still may wait it out based on the article I read the other day about a 30% price drop on most models in 2007.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
I also like that I can return essentially any TV I would potentially buy at Costco at anytime.

My three finalists are the Aquos (priced at 899.99 at Costco), the Vizio (699.99 at Costco) and the Panasonic which is rated higher than both for 923 (retails at 1200.00 but I get a discount through Panasonic Direct as well as free shipping).

I still may wait it out based on the article I read the other day about a 30% price drop on most models in 2007.

Ya, I bought my Xbox from Costco so I can return it when the PS3's come out if I want to. Or if there is a price drop or anything good like that. Definately a perk. I do recommend only buying the HD tv if you plan on getting the HD box top from Direct TV because I swear once you see HD programming you'll hate watching non HD stuff.

But just before you buy, froogle.com the TV and see what other prices are just in case. On a random sidenote you don't need to have any warranty for your Costco TV since I think you have up to 2 years to return it (IIRC).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
I've read from a lot of places that the 1080P on screens 40 and smaller that the difference between 1080P and 1080I is almost non existent and that you might as well save the money and go with the 1080I set.

Personally I was looking between Plasma, LCD, & DLP and fell in love with DLP. I realize its not as trendy as the Plasma and LCD but I was able to purchase a 50 inch 1080P TV with a 10,000:1 contrast ratio (something I don't think many, if any LCD's are capable of doing and something that is standard on almost all Plasma TV's) for 1500 (and i had to pay zero tax and zero shipping fees). I have a Samsung and the thing is amazing, with two HDMI inputs as well as a couple component inputs (the thing has all the extra connections you could want) and is rated as being one of the best TV's out available at a fraction of the cost of most of them.

Yeah, I guess I never thought of getting a TV smaller than 40.

DLP is the s***, I actually have an LCD projection from hitachi that is about 3 years old, and the HD is amazing.

Basically, if you go with a decent brand, get a good warranty, there isnt much wrong you can do.