Daisuke Matsuzaka signs

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
I just can't imagine the Red Sox would be willing to pay $27 mil per. Suppose this info is true, and Boston insists on a 5 year, $40 mil contract. Does Selig annul the bid or does Boras challenge the posting rule in court?

Huh??? They supposedly posted upwards of 40-45 million for matz. Which means he costs them that much even before he gets a contract. Boras has been saying that they want a 3 year deal so he can enter free agency again. I would expect Boras to at least get 11 million per year for 3 years. If that is correct we are talking about a 73 million dollar commitment over 3 years at a minimum for one player.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Huh??? They supposedly posted upwards of 40-45 million for matz. Which means he costs them that much even before he gets a contract. Boras has been saying that they want a 3 year deal so he can enter free agency again. I would expect Boras to at least get 11 million per year for 3 years. If that is correct we are talking about a 73 million dollar commitment over 3 years at a minimum for one player.

AF was saying that he thought (wasn't sure) they have to offer a contract with total value at least as large as the posting amount. If the posting amount is $40 mil, and Boras holds fast to a 3-year contract, that's $80 mil over 3 years, or roughly $27 mil per year. I was asking, if Boston insists on a 5-year deal (making the total $80 mil over 5, $16 mil per year), who blinks?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
AF was saying that he thought (wasn't sure) they have to offer a contract with total value at least as large as the posting amount. If the posting amount is $40 mil, and Boras holds fast to a 3-year contract, that's $80 mil over 3 years, or roughly $27 mil per year. I was asking, if Boston insists on a 5-year deal (making the total $80 mil over 5, $16 mil per year), who blinks?

I believe Boras only gets commission on the contract and not the posting amount. From his perspective he can then send Matz back to Japan for one year where he will have a clear shot at Free Agency and make another killing on that market.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)

This is exactly why Boras has so much less negotiating power in this system than in the "free market system." Nobody else can compete for the offer. I think he'll have no choice but to blink. Once a post has been made, I believe its good for one year; And if no deal is made, then the Red Sox get the 40 million back. If the deal is fair, then Boras will probably have to take it. Fair is probably 8-12 million.

Boras could sue alleging restraint of trade... but that battle could take years. I suspect the court would not grant an injunction against the posting system since the loser would be irreparably harmed and the actual likelihood of success is questionable. (Some of the other lawyers here, I'd be interested to hear other opinions).

Maybe the Bo Sox trade the negotiation rights... I don't know. I could easily see a scenario where the Dodgers trade a bunch of their prospects (they have a lot) for the rights to Matsuzaka and like 20 mil. Then, the Dodgers could probably put together a reasonable deal for Matsuzaka.... and he stays out of the bronx.

The cubs could be another possibility; but other than cash, I don't see what else they have to offer. The more capital they spend on a risky investment, I think they would be less valuable as an organization that may be for sale.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)
This is exactly why Boras has so much less negotiating power in this system than in the "free market system." Nobody else can compete for the offer. I think he'll have no choice but to blink. Once a post has been made, I believe its good for one year; And if no deal is made, then the Red Sox get the 40 million back. If the deal is fair, then Boras will probably have to take it. Fair is probably 8-12 million.

Boras could sue alleging restraint of trade... but that battle could take years. I suspect the court would not grant an injunction against the posting system since the loser would be irreparably harmed and the actual likelihood of success is questionable. (Some of the other lawyers here, I'd be interested to hear other opinions).

Maybe the Bo Sox trade the negotiation rights... I don't know. I could easily see a scenario where the Dodgers trade a bunch of their prospects (they have a lot) for the rights to Matsuzaka and like 20 mil. Then, the Dodgers could probably put together a reasonable deal for Matsuzaka.... and he stays out of the bronx.

The cubs could be another possibility; but other than cash, I don't see what else they have to offer. The more capital they spend on a risky investment, I think they would be less valuable as an organization that may be for sale.

Hmm... I doubt it. That's Boras' whole m.o. -- not blinking. I think it's far more likely that he'll challenge the posting system in court, then, as Rock said, wait a year if that fails. Or Selig will cancel the bid. On a 3-year contract for $40 mil, I bet the Red Sox have to eat at least $30 mil. That would require finding a team willing to pay Matsuzaka $17 mil per year. I can't imagine many teams going higher than that. And that seems like an enormous amount of money just to keep him away from the Yanks. Too much.

This is just ludicrous money. Is this guy the love-child of Clemens, Koufax, and Walter Johnson? I dunno, it just seems implausible. Something's got to be wrong with these figures.

Gammons - Boston won bidding with 42 million

Sports Illustrated -

Boston, burning from its disappointing 2006 season, is acting quickly to get back on the right track. It is believed they are preparing to make a megabucks offer to J.D. Drew by the end of Monday that will easily top the $33 million Drew walked away from in Los Angeles. One person suggested it may even exceed the deal former Red Sox center fielder Johnny Damon got with the Yankees, $52 million over four years. Boston tried to keep Damon last winter but for $40 million over four years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/base...drew/index.html

So, Boston just has 55+ million laying around this offseason? HOw the hell can they afford this?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)

Sports Illustrated -

So, Boston just has 55+ million laying around this offseason? HOw the hell can they afford this?

Yeesh. I'm a big fan of Mats but that's ridiculous what they bid for him. And they can have JD Drew, that team needs more pitching not more offense.

I think it's far more likely that he'll challenge the posting system in court, then

Hope Boras understands the Japanese court system, because the posting system would be insulated from US anti-trust law. As MLB has an anti-trust exemption (think about drafts, which are in essence restraint of trade) he would be out of luck in US courts.

Now I dont know a lick about Japanese law, but my guess is that the Japanese courts would protect Japanese baseball and approve of the posting system. Otherwise Japanese baseball would be raided for free.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)

Sports Illustrated -

Hooray for the New England Yankees.

Everything that's been said in or around Boston is that tapping into the Japanese market will more than pay for the amount they put up for bid to claim the rights to talk with Boras.

It made way too much sense for the Mariners and Yankees and to a lesser extent the White Sox, so long as they can ink him to a decent deal having that leverage of him wasting away another year if they don't come to an agreement.

As for JD Drew. I find it extremely hard to believe that the Red Sox would be so cautious to give Johnny Damon 4 years and 40 million yet are going to give Drew well over the 3 years and 33 million dollars he left on the table. It just doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 13, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
As for JD Drew. I find it extremely hard to believe that the Red Sox would be so cautious to give Johnny Damon 4 years and 40 million yet are going to give Drew well over the 3 years and 33 million dollars he left on the table. It just doesn't make any sense.

How much stock does Theo put in Depodesta's computer?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
They are going to end up putting over 100 million into this pitcher, just watch.

Oh easily, easily over 100 million for a guy that has thrown as many major league innings as I have. This could be the biggest bust in the history of sports, easily, if it doesn't work out, which is far from unlikely.

I view it as ownership putting money into Fenway renovations as they have done in years past. Matsuzaka will better enhance my Fenway experience, as well as others. It doesn't go against the cap, something Henry has already said he won't come near as Zito or Schmidt would have.

I like the move, no I love the move, and I applaud Henry for getting the rights to a player that every team in the majors wanted.

Also, nobody has a damn clue how much money it was. It could be 32, it could be 38, it could be 42, it could be 51.1... Nobody knows.. Regardless of how much it was, I have a feeling John Henry won't have a problem feeding his family any time soon.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
I view it as ownership putting money into Fenway renovations as they have done in years past. Matsuzaka will better enhance my Fenway experience, as well as others. It doesn't go against the cap, something Henry has already said he won't come near as Zito or Schmidt would have.

I like the move, no I love the move, and I applaud Henry for getting the rights to a player that every team in the majors wanted.

Also, nobody has a damn clue how much money it was. It could be 32, it could be 38, it could be 42, it could be 51.1... Nobody knows.. Regardless of how much it was, I have a feeling John Henry won't have a problem feeding his family any time soon.

51.1 is the offically released number sir. Oh, and I know John Henry isn't going poor, but that doesn't change the fact that this is, at best, a HUGE overpaying risk.

How stupid can a club get, 51 million dollars just to get the pleasure of getting bent over from Boras.

I wonder how his arm will hold up with going every 5 days, and having the mileage of the silly 150 pitch games and crap that they put him through. Now lets see if the SABR community craps all over this, because if they apply pitcher abuse theories to this guy, he is a walking time bomb.

Red Cubs strike again.