Daisuke Matsuzaka signs

Chisoxfn

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
I'll be laughed at but the Red Sox made the three best signings of the offseason, without question in my opinion. Based on money, team needs, etc.

Um, no! Talk to me when you can sign Soriano, Marquis, and DeRosa for below market value (in Canadian dollars, of course). :P

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
I'll be laughed at but the Red Sox made the three best signings of the offseason, without question in my opinion. Based on money, team needs, etc.

The only one I would question is the number of years for Drew given the injury history. There is no doubt about the talent but how often will he see the field.

"The Big Show" just reported that Matsuzaka signed for 6 years, 52 million.

wow, Boras loses.

that's "only" 8.67 mill per season, and when added to the other 51 that he'll never touch? 17.1 mill per

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
"The Big Show" just reported that Matsuzaka signed for 6 years, 52 million.

wow, Boras loses.

that's "only" 8.67 mill per season, and when added to the other 51 that he'll never touch? 17.1 mill per

But you can bet Boras will reference the 17 mill when negotiating for Zito when it comes to signing. "See a pitcher with no experinence in the majors got 17 mil per year, my guy Zito is worth at least X amount because of his experience." Even though he argued with the Red Sox that the posting fee shouldn't be included in salary consideration.

He is the best at convincing theowners to spend their money. It looks like the Red Sox didn't budge much though.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Since it's clear the commish will allow it, now every team will bid huge amounts and lowball the player. I wonder how many players will still be willing to be posted before fa.

The player doesn't have to sign if the player doesn't feel the contract is fair.

Matz had to weight this contract offer versus the fact that he could have come to the U.S. in 2 years as a free agent, with the signing team not having to pay any posting fee at all.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
The player doesn't have to sign if the player doesn't feel the contract is fair.

Matz had to weight this contract offer versus the fact that he could have come to the U.S. in 2 years as a free agent, with the signing team not having to pay any posting fee at all.

Yes, I understand that. But he would have been HATED in Japan for screwing over his team.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Yes, I understand that. But he would have been HATED in Japan for screwing over his team.

Is that the mindset over there? They'd rather see players their players leave and have success over here? That's interesting. I can understand there's some pride involved in seeing your boys go and succeed at the highest level (and they're a very proud people), but if I'm a fan of his Japanese team I'd rather see him stick around for those two extra years. What do I care if my team makes some loot?

This is nothing but me trying to put my feet in a Japanese fan's shoes. Why would he be hated?

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Is that the mindset over there? They'd rather see players their players leave and have success over here? That's interesting. I can understand there's some pride involved in seeing your boys go and succeed at the highest level (and they're a very proud people), but if I'm a fan of his Japanese team I'd rather see him stick around for those two extra years. What do I care if my team makes some loot?

This is nothing but me trying to put my feet in a Japanese fan's shoes. Why would he be hated?

B/c $51 mil is an enormous amount of money for a Japanese team, something like 300% of Seibu's annual payroll. Seibu already budgeted the money towards higher payroll, park improvements, etc. Imagine what the Sox could do with a $300 mil gift. If you return, the team can't use that to improve and the fans know he'll only stick around for one or two more years. Plus, from what I've read, there won't be any sympathy, since even the lowest offer is larger than his Japanese baseball salary. It doesn't sound as if he'd be welcomed back.

eh. JD Drew was a pretty awful contract.

They played this situation out perfectly though IMO, Boras would have convinced Jim Hendry to give him 20 million a season.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eh. JD Drew was a pretty awful contract.

They played this situation out perfectly though IMO, Boras would have convinced Jim Hendry to give him 20 million a season.

I completely disagree on the Drew contract being an awful one, even a bad one, to be honest. You could point to the Juan Pierre and Sarge Matthews contracts, but I'm not a believer in comparing it to this market when you take into consideration how player friendly it has become. Instead, I'm going to point to the fact that he's been one of the best hitters in baseball the last three seasons, has been healthy minus a broken wrist occurring when he was hit on that same wrist, and he performed as well as he did in Los Angeles, a park known for being one of the more pitcher friendly parks in the league. Not to mention, he was heavily relied upon in Los Angeles as there super star. He's only a compliment in Boston. Excellent signing.

Well the Drew signing might be off anyways.. Darn..

The Red Sox were basically competing against themselves in the Lugo bidding. The Mets have Valentin at 2B, and I really think they intended on having him stay as the full-time 2Bman. And I don't think the Cubs were every really serious about playing in CF or whatever that ridiculous idea was.

They will have also payed $103.1 mill total for Matzusaka, even if he only receives $52 of it. That amount of money for a pitcher who has never pitched in the United States before is a little risky. I imagine he'll be quite solid for 2-3 years or so, but I'm really interested to see how the league adjusts to the gyroball.

And then there's Drew who I love, but that's still $70 mill spent on a guy who does have a history of injuries. I think he'll be fine and that contract will be good, but we'll see.

All things considered, its turned out to be a pretty good signing by the Red Sox. Basically, its 103 million for six years. Which, when compared to what you pay for gill f***ing meche, is actually fair. (its crazy that 103 mil is fair, but thats the reality now)

I think Theo Epstein deserves some credit. When the posting fee was announced, everyone thought he was nuts. But actually, he probably predicted the market very well. He must have anticipated that a pitcher like this could get 100 million or so... so he threw a huge number up there and used his position to negotiate a fair deal.

Well, I'm sort of impressed by the red sox prowess. This contract looks actually pretty good given the market. This, of course, presumes that Matsuzaka's career doesn't go the way of Hedeki "Fat Toad" Irabu.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How's that closer situation working out for you guys right now? Third base? Who's going to cover CF for 162 games?

Oh yeah. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
How's that closer situation working out for you guys right now? Third base? Who's going to cover CF for 162 games?

Oh yeah. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

And what does this have to do with anything?

Aren't the Red Sox going to get a windfall broadcasting games in Japan? The Yankees make a ton broadcasting Matsui's games, and this pitcher is a bigger deal. If he's as good as advertised, this will be the steal of the offseason. Of course if he's a like the "fat toad" the Yankees signed, it will be a colossal gaffe.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Aren't the Red Sox going to get a windfall broadcasting games in Japan? The Yankees make a ton broadcasting Matsui's games, and this pitcher is a bigger deal. If he's as good as advertised, this will be the steal of the offseason. Of course if he's a like the "fat toad" the Yankees signed, it will be a colossal gaffe.

Neyer claimed that international broadcast revenues are split evenly among major league teams. :huh