Daisuke Matsuzaka signs

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Is there any indication which teams have currently placed bids? I know the process is secretive, but I thought information would have surfaced as to the identity of bidding teams. I know the White Sox aren't one, that's for sure. They wouldn't have done anything whether or not Boras was involved, and personally, that's rather upsetting to me. I would have definitely accepted the risk of signing Daisuke. Trade two starting pitchers, insert Brandon, and suddenly the net salary increase isn't so high. Oh, but know cares? We're good with what we currently have. Rather go for it under this "window of opportunity" with the current rotation entact. LOL.

I have to admit, though, I would definitely cheer for the Cubs to successfully sign Daisuke. For one, his presence in the National League reeps the obvious benefit of avoiding New York or Boston. Two, even with Daisuke, Cubs would only have a reliable rotation two-deep. Offense is still rather soft. Contractual issues with Ramirez would have to resolved quickly. Last point -- and this is personal -- I'd love the opportunity to watch him pitch everygame.

The Cubs are my most hated team, but I would rather have him go there than Boston or NY. Cubs aren't going anywhere anyways.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Aboz, in section 13 of the MLB-Japan agreement, it states the MLB Comissioner can oversee the bidding process, and can revoke the highest bidder's negotiation rights and give it to the next highest bidder all for "the best interests of professional baseball."

That is disturbing as hell to me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
That is disturbing as hell to me.

lol, me too... I can just see after the TV ratings for the series this year that Ol' Bud thinks it's in the best interest for only the NYY or Red Sox to have this guy...

When will the announcement be made who had the highest bid? I'll go out on a limb and say the Rangers won.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
lol, me too... I can just see after the TV ratings for the series this year that Ol' Bud thinks it's in the best interest for only the NYY or Red Sox to have this guy...

When will the announcement be made who had the highest bid? I'll go out on a limb and say the Rangers won.

Good question. I wonder who and when we will know. A team like Texas is interesting because they need pitching BAD. Really they need it worse than either Boston or the Yankees. The one thing is that Texas after getting burned by the Park and ARod signings, might be a little timid to put up that kind of cash.

The only reason I think it may be Texas is that they have a chance to not get in a bidding war with NYY, Red Sox or Cubs with the actual contract. I think the other teams probably know they are in big baseball markets and can lay out an actual contract that would entice a Schmidt, Zito, etc... Rangers may think this is their only real chance to land a quality pitcher via FA and over bid for the posting, then have exclusive rights to deal with the guy.

I would imagine Boras made it known what it will take to sign the guy. With that said, I could see the Cubs winning the posting too. It would create a media splash locally and nationally.

If Texas doesn't win, I would imagine they would have a stronger interest in FG or Vaz, again with the idea they don't have to fight off Boston or NYY.

Funny thing occured in my Sociology class earlier this afternoon. When discussing Daisuke's bid with several classmates, some random Asian kid sitting behind us said the Arizona Diamondbacks won the bid. When asked how he knew, he replied the Japanese division of MLB.com had information concerning it.

Now, I have yet to personally verify if -- or bother locating the link -- but that would be one hell of a wildcard victory. It would be even sweeter realizing all American league teams (esp. New York) were outbid.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
Funny thing occured in my Sociology class earlier this afternoon. When discussing Daisuke's bid with several classmates, some random Asian kid sitting behind us said the Arizona Diamondbacks won the bid. When asked how he knew, he replied the Japanese division of MLB.com had information concerning it.

Now, I have yet to personally verify if -- or bother locating the link -- but that would be one hell of a wildcard victory. It would be even sweeter realizing all American league teams (esp. New York) were outbid.

I saw/read the (google translated) link. It's bunk. It just said that the D'Backs were surprise bidders, which is the same thing that the AZ Republic stated today. There was another article that stated that the Lions were informed of who the highest bidder was, but gave no indication as to which team had won.

ESPN report posted online doesn't sound very conclusive. They claim Boston "may have" won. Boston's MLB message board is basing their opinions off Olney's information.

If I were a Red Sox fan, personally, I'd wait before celebrating. We've seen before how supposedly "close" deals were overblown.

Even if this preliminary report is true, between $38 million and $45million is an absurd amount for an unproven pitcher. Include this total with a rather conservative three year estimate of his salary (~30/3), and over the duration of three years, he's costing Boston between 22 and 25 million per season. If you're looking at cost in 2007 alone -- when combined with $10 million salary -- he's costing Boston between 48 and 55 million. For that price, he damn well better be Cy Young.

Oh, and goodbye Manny Ramirez.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
ESPN report posted online doesn't sound very conclusive. They claim Boston "may have" won. Boston's MLB message board is basing their opinions off Olney's information.

If I were a Red Sox fan, personally, I'd wait before celebrating. We've seen before how supposedly "close" deals were overblown.

Even if this preliminary report is true, between $38 million and $45million is an absurd amount for an unproven pitcher. Include this total with a rather conservative three year estimate of his salary (~30/3), and over the duration of three years, he's costing Boston between 22 and 25 million per season. If you're looking at cost in 2007 alone -- when combined with $10 million salary -- he's costing Boston between 48 and 55 million. For that price, he damn well better be Cy Young.

Oh, and goodbye Manny Ramirez.

My understanding of this process (and I could be wrong) is that the Red Sox HAVE to match the amount paid to the Lions for the bargaining rights. That is, if they offer $40 mil for the negotiating rights, they have to offer a contract for at least 40 million.

Now, that could be 13.3 mill a year for three years. (a deal Matusaka would probably take, but Boston would be hesitant to offer). It could also be a 1 million dollar deal for forty years... (a deal not likely to be taken by Matusaka). The Lions DO NOT have to take the highest bidder... Instead, they can take the bidder they think is most likely to be able to sign Matusaka.

The catch is this: If Boston doesn't come to terms with Matusaka, then Boston gets their $40 Million dollar for negotiating rights back from the Lions. No other team could then buy his rights for another year. Thus, The red sox would have blocked an attempt by the evil empire to sign him.

This is my understanding of the situation. I do not know if its right. The only other situation I might expect to see is Boston offering Matusaka a 5 year deal worth 40 million... Which he might actually take just to get this move over with. Then, Matusaka would effectively cost the Red Sox approximately 16 mill a year - which is very lucrative, but not necessarily completely insane (think Chan Ho Park).

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
My understanding of this process (and I could be wrong) is that the Red Sox HAVE to match the amount paid to the Lions for the bargaining rights. That is, if they offer $40 mil for the negotiating rights, they have to offer a contract for at least 40 million.

Now, that could be 13.3 mill a year for three years. (a deal Matusaka would probably take, but Boston would be hesitant to offer). It could also be a 1 million dollar deal for forty years... (a deal not likely to be taken by Matusaka). The Lions DO NOT have to take the highest bidder... Instead, they can take the bidder they think is most likely to be able to sign Matusaka.

The catch is this: If Boston doesn't come to terms with Matusaka, then Boston gets their $40 Million dollar for negotiating rights back from the Lions. No other team could then buy his rights for another year. Thus, The red sox would have blocked an attempt by the evil empire to sign him.

This is my understanding of the situation. I do not know if its right. The only other situation I might expect to see is Boston offering Matusaka a 5 year deal worth 40 million... Which he might actually take just to get this move over with. Then, Matusaka would effectively cost the Red Sox approximately 16 mill a year - which is very lucrative, but not necessarily completely insane (think Chan Ho Park).

I agree with what you are saying, but Boras has come out and said he wants a 3 year deal which then allows Matz to move into Free agency again in the MLB which should be a more lucrative payday at that point. I can see the contract being 13.3 for 3 years, which will tie up almost 80 million dollars for one player over 3 years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
I agree with what you are saying, but Boras has come out and said he wants a 3 year deal which then allows Matz to move into Free agency again in the MLB which should be a more lucrative payday at that point. I can see the contract being 13.3 for 3 years, which will tie up almost 80 million dollars for one player over 3 years.

I just can't imagine the Red Sox would be willing to pay $27 mil per. Suppose this info is true, and Boston insists on a 5 year, $40 mil contract. Does Selig annul the bid or does Boras challenge the posting rule in court?

Its also a real possibility that the Red Sox bid so high in an effort prevent the yankees from getting him. Then, they might deal him to a National League team, eat part of his salary, and maybe get a few nice pieces in return.

This keeps him out of the hands of the evil empire for at least three years. If they got 30 million back from the deal, basically they'd be keeping Matsuzaka off the yanks for 3.3 million bucks a year.

Strikes me as a real problem with the posting system...

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Its also a real possibility that the Red Sox bid so high in an effort prevent the yankees from getting him. Then, they might deal him to a National League team, eat part of his salary, and maybe get a few nice pieces in return.

This keeps him out of the hands of the evil empire for at least three years. If they got 30 million back from the deal, basically they'd be keeping Matsuzaka off the yanks for 3.3 million bucks a year.

Strikes me as a real problem with the posting system...

You think they'd only have to eat $10 mil? I dunno, I don't think any team (besides, maybe, the Yanks) will pay $70 mil for 3 years. Still way too much.