SD Senator suffers brain hemmorhage.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, yeah, of course we are concerned for his health, now let's talk politics.

When this comes up, and it goes either way, it seems that the replacement should be from the same party. It has never made sense to me the fairness of a Dem picking a Dem to replace a GOP and vice versa.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
yeah, yeah, of course we are concerned for his health, now let's talk politics.

When this comes up, and it goes either way, it seems that the replacement should be from the same party. It has never made sense to me the fairness of a Dem picking a Dem to replace a GOP and vice versa.

It makes sense because that Senator is a representative of South Dakota first, and his party second. And the Governor is the highest representative of the state.

So, despite that it may cause a stir in the Senate, I happen to agree with the policy.

You both raise good points, but how many of us Illinoisans (or at least at heart anyway), would want Blag Daddy or George Ryan to pick a new senator. *shudder*

Either way, the way they caught the stroke so early makes it seem to me like he'll be okay and their won't need to be a replacement. Plus he's (relatively) young, so I think he'll make it back to the hill.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
It makes sense because that Senator is a representative of South Dakota first, and his party second. And the Governor is the highest representative of the state.

So, despite that it may cause a stir in the Senate, I happen to agree with the policy.

So the Governor picks someone from the same party as the person being replaced. I am certain there are great Dems and Reps in every state. Then the odds are better the replacement would have closer views than someone from the other party. And the will of the people should trump.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
So the Governor picks someone from the same party as the person being replaced. I am certain there are great Dems and Reps in every state. Then the odds are better the replacement would have closer views than someone from the other party. And the will of the people should trump.

South Dakota statute:

12-11-1. Special election to fill congressional vacancy--Time of election of representative. If a vacancy occurs in the office of a senator or representative in the United States Congress it shall be the duty of the Governor within ten days of the occurrence, to issue a proclamation setting the date of and calling for a special election for the purpose of filling such vacancy. If either a primary or general election is to be held within six months, an election to fill a vacancy in the office of representative in the United States Congress shall be held in conjunction with that election, otherwise the election shall be held not less than eighty nor more than ninety days after the vacancy occurs.
Link.

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson of South Dakota was hospitalized Wednesday, weeks before his party was to take control of the Senate by a one-vote margin.

Johnson, who turns 60 on Dec. 28, was admitted to George Washington University Hospital with an undiagnosed illness, said a spokeswoman, Julianne Fisher.

She said, however, the senator did not suffer a stroke or heart attack. His office had said earlier it was a possible stroke.

Link

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 07:46 PM)
Election - even better.

But I still contend that a Governor's nomination should not be bound by party. I think that runs counter to the spirit of a representative body in a federalist nation like ours.

Regardless of what the law is for that state ... election, appointment, bound by party, whatever ... The state law is the important thing ... The law passed by the state legislature and signed by the governor. There is no way the feds should have a say so in who represents the people of a state. So to say that it should be bound by party ... just because it might change the balance of power in the senate ... is bunk. Unless, the state law deems it be that way.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 04:25 AM)
It sounds like Republicans are already 'salivating' - which is pure bunk if that's the case.

They probably are, but it will more than likely come to nothing. Which I hope is the case. That means he has a reasonably full recovery.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)
I Just saw the reports this morning that he's in critical condition. Damn. Hopefully he comes out of it.

I've heard that since I made my post, as well. He sounds like a good man. Hope he pulls through.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:24 AM)
Regardless of what the law is for that state ... election, appointment, bound by party, whatever ... The state law is the important thing ... The law passed by the state legislature and signed by the governor. There is no way the feds should have a say so in who represents the people of a state. So to say that it should be bound by party ... just because it might change the balance of power in the senate ... is bunk. Unless, the state law deems it be that way.

I am not saying the feds should. I am saying that the voters in a state have elected someone. The obviously want someone like that to represent them in that position and at that time. I think we can also agree that there are fundamental differences between the parties. The best chance that the voter's choice would continue is to have a member of that same party representing them. And this goes both ways, and I am speaking in a general sense. But if the voters elected a conservative Senator, how are they better served when the Governor appoints a liberal to fill his shoes, or vice versa?

And of course I am not advocating a change in this situation, the law is the law. But I'd like to read a counter explaining how the voters, who elected someone with a given ideology and from a certain party, benefit when someone from the other party, and presumably a different ideology, is selected?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
I am not saying the feds should. I am saying that the voters in a state have elected someone. The obviously want someone like that to represent them in that position and at that time. I think we can also agree that there are fundamental differences between the parties. The best chance that the voter's choice would continue is to have a member of that same party representing them. And this goes both ways, and I am speaking in a general sense. But if the voters elected a conservative Senator, how are they better served when the Governor appoints a liberal to fill his shoes, or vice versa?

And of course I am not advocating a change in this situation, the law is the law. But I'd like to read a counter explaining how the voters, who elected someone with a given ideology and from a certain party, benefit when someone from the other party, and presumably a different ideology, is selected?

The people didn't elect a party they elected a person. They also elected the state legislature and the governor.

Johnson had 'successful' brain surgery last night.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
The people didn't elect a party they elected a person. They also elected the state legislature and the governor.

And shouldn't there be some effort or protection that the same type of person be selected as the replacement? If they elected a Pro-Life, war hawk why should the replacement be a Pro-Choice dove? How are the voters better served?

Agreed. As you stated, this is a representative of the state and the people, and should not involve the federal government.

Glad to hear it. I wonder what that means.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
Agreed. As you stated, this is a representative of the state and the people, and should not involve the federal government.

Glad to hear it. I wonder what that means.

How would requiring selecting someone with different views honor the voter's intent? I don't see anyone here mentioning anything about Federal. My point is honor the intent of the voters and select someone similar in views. So far no one has tackled this from the voter's perspective.