Some Duke rape case updates

EvilMonkey

NC Congressman asks DOJ to investigate Nifong

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/520846.html

Not only was there DNA evidence that she had sex prior with her 'boyfriend', but there were traces from other males as well, none of them the Lacrosse players.

http://www.newsobserver.com/100/story/521017.html

I know this is off topic, but I make reference to the Duke case during this particular argument.

People who are against abortion say they only favor in the cases of rape and incest. If the government takes away a woman's choice to choose, how many innocent men would be victims of false rape charges?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
I know this is off topic, but I make reference to the Duke case during this particular argument.

People who are against abortion say they only favor in the cases of rape and incest. If the government takes away a woman's choice to choose, how many innocent men would be victims of false rape charges?

Falsely accusing someone of rape should carry the punishment that rape itself does. Of course, this would have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt along with proving intent.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:15 AM)
Falsely accusing someone of rape should carry the punishment that rape itself does. Of course, this would have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt along with proving intent.

Linking the punishment to the severity of the accusation seems like a nice balance. I'd go for changes in the laws along those lines. I wonder if judges already do this on an informal basis when sentencing.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)

Great point, and one I've never heard made before. There usually isn't time for a trial to determine if it was rape or not. Plus would the abortion law only stand if the person was found and convicted.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Apparently, the accuser has given birth ... 9 months after the alleged crime. The defense attorneys are asking for paternity tests.

Why didn't the lacrosse players just find some college freshman girls to hook up with instead of hiring an ugly ass diseased stripper?

lacrosse players

that's why....

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
Apparently, the accuser has given birth ... 9 months after the alleged crime. The defense attorneys are asking for paternity tests.

And, as it should be, a judge has ordered paternity tests.

I doubt it'll happen, but man oh man, what I would give to see the reaction on one of those kids' faces if he was told he was the father.

The D.A. does say she used a morning-after pill after the alleged incident, so it's pretty darn doubtful that anyone will get to see that.

Edited by Balta1701

Can you say 'conspiracy'? Maybe Nifong should learn to bend over and say 'yes, bubba'. Apparently he conspired witht the lab to HIDE EVIDENCE.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/521773.html

Under questioning by Jim Cooney, a defense attorney for Seligmann, Meehan admitted that his report violated his laboratory’s standards by not reporting results of all tests.

Did Nifong and his investigators know the results of all the DNA tests? Cooney asked.

“I believe so,” Meehan said.

“Did they know the test results excluded Reade Seligmann?” Cooney asked.

“I believe so,” Meehan said.

Was the failure to report these results the intentional decision of you and the district attorney? Cooney asked.

“Yes,” Meehan replied.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
Well Nifong did get his goal acheived in this case......frame the rich white kids against the black stripper long enough to get the african american vote in Durham and be re elected. Too bad karma is knocking at the front door.

I hope, if he did hang these kids out to dry the way it appears, that he gets reacquainted with some other folks he may have met in the courtroom.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 06:31 AM)
I hope, if he did hang these kids out to dry the way it appears, that he gets reacquainted with some other folks he may have met in the courtroom.

Agreed. This scumbag needs to be busted out of his job and clapped in irons. This is about the most outrageous abuse of authority I've ever seen.

You mean the government's assurances that they were going after the guilty party(ies) were not just enough to assuage everyone's possible skepticism in this case?

To many people here at ST.com

Overzealous DA wanting fame and attention to get elected going overboard with accusations = bad

US government wanting fame and attention to get elected going overboard with accusations = good foreign policy

See -- hiding evidence, lying government officials...And yet people get all hot and bothered when somebody dares to question indefinite detentions where over 80% of them are eventually freed because there is no evidence to prosecute.

Simply put -- Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or says it.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
You mean the government's assurances that they were going after the guilty party(ies) were not just enough to assuage everyone's possible skepticism in this case?

To many people here at ST.com

Overzealous DA wanting fame and attention to get elected going overboard with accusations = bad

US government wanting fame and attention to get elected going overboard with accusations = good foreign policy

See -- hiding evidence, lying government officials...And yet people get all hot and bothered when somebody dares to question indefinite detentions where over 80% of them are eventually freed because there is no evidence to prosecute.

Simply put -- Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or says it.

Now you're comparing this scumbag DA to the U.S. Governments detention of terrorists huh?

Thats a rediculous statement even for you.

Need I remind you that it is leftists like you that are preventing these terrorists from having a day in court with your frivolus legal challenges.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Now you're comparing this scumbag DA to the U.S. Governments detention of terrorists huh?

Thats a rediculous statement even for you.

Need I remind you that it is leftists like you that are preventing these terrorists from having a day in court with your frivolus legal challenges.

Actually it is representatives from the CIA and the US government who have said that some of their extralegal maneuvers to extract information (read: torture) means that they cannot bring many of these people up for a trial or they'll have their system exposed because what they did to them was extralegal.

And yes, I am comparing the two. Hiding of evidence, going after people who are innocent while the public buys into the media campaign. Its the same thing. Pardon my skepticism and love of the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" in all cases.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Actually it is representatives from the CIA and the US government who have said that some of their extralegal maneuvers to extract information (read: torture) means that they cannot bring many of these people up for a trial or they'll have their system exposed because what they did to them was extralegal.

The infamous they strikes again.

/rolly

QUOTE(NUKE @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Agreed. This scumbag needs to be busted out of his job and clapped in irons. This is about the most outrageous abuse of authority I've ever seen.

Wel said. While there are dangers in note taking action, and all reports of crimes should be pursued, if he lied and ignored DNA evidence, he should be outta there in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
it's says they still face other charges...

If I recall correctly, they were still facing charges from another event a few months beforehand in Washington (not a rape, something a lot smaller). Might be what those involve.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
If I recall correctly, they were still facing charges from another event a few months beforehand in Washington (not a rape, something a lot smaller). Might be what those involve.

kidnapping and sexual misconduct or something like that. Maybe you're right.