Williams: Sox not cutting payroll

YASNY

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Kenny

“Somehow, there’s a common thought out there that Jerry Reinsdorf issued a mandate to lower the payroll, and that is as far from the truth as you can possibly get,’’ Williams said Wednesday.

“As a matter of fact, if I saw something that made sense, I could go out right now and add a player that would increase the payroll significantly.

“But what I’ve seen out there so far doesn’t make sense to me.

“We have either equal or better in house right now, and I’m not going to do something stupid that will cripple this franchise like I fear some other teams have done to themselves.

“Somebody’s going to pay for some of those contracts, and I’m not going to do that to our future. We operate in a different fashion

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 06:05 AM)
Thank you Kenny

How many consecutive years have the Sox invested profits directly into payroll? How many times has it been discussed and proven around here? Yet, everytime something happens that can be twisted to look like there is an outside chance that they'll cut payroll, multitudes start screaming that JR is lining his pockets.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 06:09 AM)
How many consecutive years have the Sox invested profits directly into payroll? How many times has it been discussed and proven around here? Yet, everytime something happens that can be twisted to look like there is an outside chance that they'll cut payroll, multitudes start screaming that JR is lining his pockets.

Every year that they've made profits. 9 of the last 11 years. Also it's worth mentioning, again, that Jerry is NOT the majority holder and there are several in line BEFORE him that would get their pockets lined before he even saw a dime.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)
Every year that they've made profits. 9 of the last 11 years. Also it's worth mentioning, AGAIN!!!, that Jerry is NOT the majority holder and there are several in line BEFORE him that would get their pockets lined before he even saw a dime.

A little editing for emphasis. :bang

Every year that they've made profits. 9 of the last 11 years. Also it's worth mentioning, again, that Jerry is NOT the majority holder and there are several in line BEFORE him that would get their pockets lined before he even saw a dime.

Yea, I know. I wasn't literally looking for an answer. But every little bit of validation helps. As many times as it's been documented around here, it still amazes me when a Soxtalker starts down that path. It's even worse when a local columnist starts spewing that garbage, but it happens.

Testify Sister!!!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)
Show me where we have traded Garland. Heck, show me where Kenny said anything about trading him. All there have been are rumors.

Garland was THISCLOSE to being traded a few days ago. It almost happened. It was reported.

Now whether we choose to believe that since hes still here, hes not going anywhere, or since his name surfaced in that deal and why are we considering trading im is topic for endless discussion.

The bottom line is, the SOX Organization has heard the grumblings from the fanbase and come out and made this statement. Kudos. Its a good PR move

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
Garland was THISCLOSE to being traded a few days ago. It almost happened. It was reported.

Now whether we choose to believe that since hes still here, hes not going anywhere, or since his name surfaced in that deal and why are we considering trading im is topic for endless discussion.

The bottom line is, the SOX Organization has heard the grumblings from the fanbase and come out and made this statement. Kudos. Its a good PR move

The problem with it "almost" happening is that we do not know what else would have happened as a result of a Garland trade. That "almost" includes things further down the line that we do not know about unless we are sitting right there with KW while he is planning things out. So, we still don't know if the deal would have really been knocking off a bunch of payroll or if it would have lead to the addition of something else that even adds payroll.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)

The grumblings, thus far, are groundless.

And haven't you been around baseball enough to know that there are always a ton of "THISCLOSE" trades that don't happen? Or were never going to happen, and someone in the press or a front office jazzed it up to meet their own ends?

If we actually trade Garland, and don't get something spectacular in return, then I'll be first in line to complain.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:03 AM)
Yea, I know. I wasn't literally looking for an answer. But every little bit of validation helps. As many times as it's been documented around here, it still amazes me when a Soxtalker starts down that path. It's even worse when a local columnist starts spewing that garbage, but it happens.

I saw the #1 Jerry/Kenny basher reading when I was on this morning so I took the opportunity to do a little b**** slapping. ;)

Oh boy... I see the wall in this threads future....

:ph34r:

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
The problem with it "almost" happening is that we do not know what else would have happened as a result of a Garland trade. That "almost" includes things further down the line that we do not know about unless we are sitting right there with KW while he is planning things out. So, we still don't know if the deal would have really been knocking off a bunch of payroll or if it would have lead to the addition of something else that even adds payroll.

Good post here. YES, that is the problem is its tough to figure out where the rest of the dominoes would fall. Thats why its so much fun to speculate on what they may have done. Hot stove season. The only thing I could think of right now, was Kenny may have asked for the world or the Astros may have asked for the world. I told a very negative poster somewhere else, that we arent privy to what Kenny has in mind, and all Sox fans can do (and the media too) is guess Kennys motives

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:03 AM)
I saw the #1 Jerry/Kenny basher reading when I was on this morning so I took the opportunity to do a little b**** slapping. ;)

Oh boy... I see the wall in this threads future....

:ph34r:

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I hope Williams isn't cutting payroll. If he trades any more starters then I would be inclined to think that he is trying to cut the payroll.

They have never cut payroll before any season when the profits from the previous season allowed them to increase or maintain. They have ALWAYS put back into the club. Why, after all this time of the having a well established pattern, would think this year is different?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
They have never cut payroll before any season when the profits from the previous season allowed them to increase or maintain. They have ALWAYS put back into the club. Why, after all this time of the having a well established pattern, would think this year is different?

wasnt 04 one of those years in question? Several players were due raises and were traded/let go,

and I think that although salary did go up minimally, the general consensus was that the team basically

added by subtracting

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
wasnt 04 one of those years in question? Several players were due raises and were traded/let go,

and I think that although salary did go up minimally, the general consensus was that the team basically

added by subtracting

The payroll went up. :huh

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)

I don't think KW is just going to spend money to spend money. If the market is out of control it seems like he is just going to wait out the storm. If all he does is add a backup catcher and one more reliever, the payroll will be lower for 2007.

This situation will give him huge flexibility at the trading deadline.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
I don't think KW is just going to spend money to spend money. If the market is out of control it seems like he is just going to wait out the storm. If all he does is add a backup catcher and one more reliever, the payroll will be lower for 2007.

Excellent post.

/end thread.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
The payroll went up. :huh

Pretty much its been a one to one relationship with how profits have turned and how the payroll has turned. As Mike has shown in years past, pretty much you can look at the Forbes report and say that whatever the profit has been, you can see payroll increase at the same step. Anyone who thinks that this organization is cheap with a 100 million dollar payroll is a moron.

And for those using the Garland example, just stop. That is called getting the most for your trade. What will bring you more back, a pitcher in their walk year, or a pitcher with 2 years on the contract. KW thinks he can get an impact pitcher that can front line our rotation with Garland he will ship him off. Plain and simple. And for the love of God its Jon Garland, not Cy Young. He is a durable 200 innning pitcher. Batters hit .294 against him, so lets stop like if we trade him we will be a 5th place team for 10 years. We as fans need to stop falling in love with the names on the back. Because there is no loyalty for the most part either way. FA's want to make the money, and the clubs want to keep a product on the field that can make them money. Why is this so hard for everyone to see. We get silly threads about players being selfish, or the owners being selfish. They are all selfish. Its called human nature. If the cubs would pay me 126 million dollars, as much as I hate them, I would put the hat on right now and smile for the camera. And laugh all the way to the bank later as I bought my Island in the pacific.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)

Nor, do I want him to spend just to spend. If things work out to where payroll is a smidge lower, then something fell through. That is a possibility. That doesn't mean they have an agenda to cut payroll.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)

With the massive money deals we've been seeing, there will likely be more trades at the deadline than the previous few seasons. It's just too bad we weren't more interested in Abreu, as his contract seems below market value now and he'd be the perfect leadoff hitter for the Sox.