Williams: Sox not cutting payroll

YASNY

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Ozzie and KW don't really care about OBP. They never have, never will. Ozzie would rather have his speed guy at the top of the order. The biggest reason this offense tanked in the 2nd half was due to the poor performances by many of our hitters against LHP, especially Thome and Iguchi. Adding a player or two that can mash LHP would really help, as there are amazing lefty pitchers in our division.

Our offense really isnt the issue, even though its being attacked here, our pitching staff needs to improve for us to win the division. if you take our 2006 team and make them play the season 10 times, I believe last season would be one of the worst for the amount of talent we had.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
If he can repeat his stellar defense, that's completely acceptable. Still, I'd rather a guy that could get on base at two of the three positions I mentioned considering outside of Konerko, Thome, Dye, and Iguchi, nobody else does. Wouldn't you agree?

I'd be perfectly fine if we got a LFer worth a damn. You're seriously discounting the need for good defense on this team. The only pitcher who consistently can get hitters out by himself is Vazquez, and even he's an extreme flyball pitcher who BA helps. With McCarthy coming, there's another guy who will be helped by BA.

Our defense as a whole slipped last year from 2005. I'd say the two spots where we could reasonably improve is CF (just by playing Anderson six days a week, not Sideshow Rob) and LF.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
Our offense really isnt the issue, even though its being attacked here, our pitching staff needs to improve for us to win the division. if you take our 2006 team and make them play the season 10 times, I believe last season would be one of the worst for the amount of talent we had.

Even with our pitchers underachieving during the first half of the year, we had a 6 game lead at the ASB due to the great offense. Once the offense hit the skids and started to underachieve, we couldn't make up for our poor pitching. Like you said, our pitching should be better, but I think our hitting will have a hard time ever getting close to the level it was during the first half of 2006.

i think people are frustrated by the lack of upgrades that have been made so far this year.

going into the off season we needed

1) A Backup Catcher

2) Middle Relief

3) A new Centerfielder

4) A new leadoff person

5) A new shortstop

and so far we've upgraded at 0 of these positions. Pitchers and catchers report in 3 months and the free agent market is dwindling. I think a lot of Sox fans feel that the "shot clock" is running out and we are going to be stuck with...

1) Chris Stewart or Sandy Alomar

2) No middle relief upgrades

3) Brian Anderson in CF

4) Scott Podsednik leading off

5) Juan Uribe starting at SS

and what did we do to improve our team?????

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
i think people are frustrated by the lack of upgrades that have been made so far this year.

1) A Backup Catcher

2) Middle Relief

3) A new Centerfielder

4) A new leadoff person

5) A new shortstop

and so far we've upgraded at 0 of these positions. Pitchers and catchers report in 3 months and the free agent market is dwindling. I think a lot of Sox fans feel that the "shot clock" is running out and we are going to be stuck with...

3) Brian Anderson in CF

PERFECT POST!

1) A Backup Catcher

2) Middle Relief

3) A new Centerfielder

4) A new leadoff person

5) A new shortstop

3) Brian Anderson in CF

Standard Soxtalk response: "Hey, it is mid-December. There's lots of time for KW to work his magic."

I have a strong feeling that the same people that are saying this now will come up with a new refrain if no significant upgrades have been made by the end of ST. By then it will be, "We didn't need any upgrades. The 2006 team underachieved so we can expect the 2007 to be better with essentially the same players."

Edited by SoxHawk1980

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)

1) A Backup Catcher

2) Middle Relief

3) A new Centerfielder

4) A new leadoff person

5) A new shortstop

3) Brian Anderson in CF

Good post, I think you hit the nail on the head.

1. I don't know much about Stewart, but I know I don't want Alomar. I think KW will make a move before Spring Training for backup backstop.

2. Our bullpen is solid for innings 7, 8, & 9 (MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks). I guess the real issue is whether our starters will consistently make it through 5 or 6 innings themselves. I tend to think they will, more ofteh than not. I don't think a lack of middle relief justifies spending what this current market would require, however.

3. Personally, I'm comfortable with Brian in CF. I love his defense, and I'm hoping that he's going to improve at the plate. Unless we can acquire a Vernon Wells, I don't know who else is out there worth breaking the bank over.

4. Can Pods go anywhere but up after last year? He'll have had a lot more time to let the ol' groin heal. I'm being optimistic, perhaps foolishly, but optimistic.

5. Here's where I'm the most worried. If we can get 2005/playoff Juan back, then we're fine. If not, I'd like to see a change, too. But I don't know what the best move would be. Who can we get without having to break the bank? Or, if we do break the bank, it had better be someone worth the money.

Edited by Balance

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
Standard Soxtalk response: "Hey, it is mid-December. There's lots of time for KW to work his magic."

I have a strong feeling that the same people that are saying this now will come up with a new refrain if no significant upgrades have been made by the end of ST. By then it will be, "We didn't need any upgrades. The 2006 team underachieved so we can expect the 2007 to be better with essentially the same players."

I'm just amazed that I'm hearing Sox management, as well as fans, state that they don't think Pods ever recovered from his hernia surgery. I guess hernia surgery impacts your vision and arm, as Pods inability to swing at the 3rd strike and his pathetic display in the outfield were two of his biggest issues.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:27 PM)

1) A Backup Catcher

2) Middle Relief

4) A new leadoff person

Fixed for accuracy. I do not agree that we need to get rid of BA, or Uribe. You are talking about 2 players who play GG caliber defense, something that helps our pitching staff a great deal. As for middle relief, we made a trade that hopefully upgrades it, but at this point the price tag was too high for mediocre middle relief. Lead off man is a huge hole, but the market was much too high for basically slight upgrades over what we have. Backup catcher isnt that huge of a deal to me, as AJ has proven that he can take a large load of games behind the plate, im sure KW will sign someone who will work for us.

I would like to know what miracle trades/signings you may have had in mind to fix those "holes"

QUOTE(Balance @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Good post, I think you hit the nail on the head.

1. I don't know much about Stewart, but I know I don't want Alomar. I think KW will make a move before Spring Training for backup backstop.

2. Our bullpen is solid for innings 7, 8, & 9 (MacDougal, Thornton, Jenks). I guess the real issue is whether our starters will consistently make it through 5 or 6 innings themselves. I tend to think they will, more ofteh than not. I don't think a lack of middle relief justifies spending what this current market would require, however.

3. Personally, I'm comfortable with Brian in CF. I love his defense, and I'm hoping that he's going to improve at the plate. Unless we can acquire a Vernon Wells, I don't know who else is out there worth breaking the bank over.

4. Can Pods go anywhere but up after last year? He'll have had a lot more time to let the ol' groin heal. I'm being optimistic, perhaps foolishly, but optimistic.

5. Here's where I'm the most worried. If we can get 2005/playoff Juan back, then we're fine. If not, I'd like to see a change, too. But I don't know what the best move would be. Who can we get without having to break the bank? Or, if we do break the bank, it had better be someone worth the money.

1.) Hopefully KW targets Hall with a backup plan of trading for Miller.

2.) Our bullpen is fine. Ozzie makes his pitchers throw at least 5 if not 6.

3.) Brian needs to hit, if he doesnt then platoon him with Sweeney.

4.) If pods sucks, then use a platoon in LF with Ozuna and Mack. Have Gooch leadoff on days that Mack is in the lineup if need be.

5.) Hire Walt Hrniak as a special hitting instructor for problem cases. Bring him in for ST to work with Juan and Brian specifically. He wont want to work full time again. After ST, he can come out once in a great while when a player gets into a funk again to go over what they learned. Both hitters can be good if they keep their swings in check. Juan needs to get his leg kick back, it kept him centered and allowed him to close off and drive towards the pitchers plate. When he ditched it, he was flying open and he had a hard time centering the ball up. Walt can work with Brian on centering the ball up more.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
5.) Hire Walt Hrniak as a special hitting instructor for problem cases. Bring him in for ST to work with Juan and Brian specifically. He wont want to work full time again. After ST, he can come out once in a great while when a player gets into a funk again to go over what they learned. Both hitters can be good if they keep their swings in check. Juan needs to get his leg kick back, it kept him centered and allowed him to close off and drive towards the pitchers plate. When he ditched it, he was flying open and he had a hard time centering the ball up. Walt can work with Brian on centering the ball up more.

Juan was still flying open off the ball with his leg kick within a few weeks of adopting it as a technique. Greg Walker had the right idea with Uribe last year, it just didn't work. The leg kick is a bandaid on a gaping wound - it's trying to fix the poor design of Uribe's swing in 2005. Last year, Walker had Uribe spread his legs apart to shoot for better balance and better ability to see the ball, which is the right technique. It didn't work with Uribe, because he still kept his batting stance too closed and kept the tendency to pull off the ball, and because it sure seems like he is very, very stubborn about wanting to swing at everything.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Juan was still flying open off the ball with his leg kick within a few weeks of adopting it as a technique. Greg Walker had the right idea with Uribe last year, it just didn't work. The leg kick is a bandaid on a gaping wound - it's trying to fix the poor design of Uribe's swing in 2005. Last year, Walker had Uribe spread his legs apart to shoot for better balance and better ability to see the ball, which is the right technique. It didn't work with Uribe, because he still kept his batting stance too closed and kept the tendency to pull off the ball, and because it sure seems like he is very, very stubborn about wanting to swing at everything.

The point is, with Hrniak and Thomas mentoring Uribe, he was sitting back on the ball much much more than he had ever done in any point in his career. It was amazing... he actually would take sliders down in the dirt for balls, rather than flail helplessly at them.

There was quite a difference in September 2005 Uribe than 2006 Uribe.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)

Juan was not opening up and flying off the ball after the technique was put into use at the end of 2005. It was ditched in ST by Greg who thought that a spread stance would have the same affect. However that experiment failed. The spread stance worked for Ozuna but it didnt work with Uribe. The spread didnt work for Uribe because he still kept moving his feet. Players have different timing generators, and moving his feet seems to be Uribe's. The uribe I saw last year was flying open and spinning just like before. Only 2 things seemd to keep Uribe focused since he has been a whitesox. One was open competition for his job. When he first got here, he was hungry and played with intensitiy and seemed to focus on having good ABs. Once he got the job though, he started getting a bit lazy at the plate(the same reason that the Rox traded him). The 2nd thing was the timing mechanism at the end of the 2005 season. Uribe has enough talent to hit with the best on the team. Its his wild mechanics and his lack of focus at times that gets him in trouble. I think his lack of focus is why some times he messes up easy plays or his throws like last year, but can make the most spectacular plays.

The only one holding Uribe back is Uribe.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
At this point in time, do I realistically see the White Sox winning the World Series? Well, I'd never say never, but with major holes in center field, left field, and short stop among others, at this point I feel as if it's unlikely.

Are you seriously contending that the 2006 St. Louis Cardinals did not have any holes? Who was their LF? So Taguchi? They had Chris Duncan playing RF! David Eckstein (not exactly Mr. OPS himself) was their ss. Their pitching was certainly not spectacular. Ronnie Belliard was their second baseman!

I'm sorry, but at this stage of the game, the White Sox have every bit as good of a chance of winning the World Series as any other team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
I'm just amazed that I'm hearing Sox management, as well as fans, state that they don't think Pods ever recovered from his hernia surgery. I guess hernia surgery impacts your vision and arm, as Pods inability to swing at the 3rd strike and his pathetic display in the outfield were two of his biggest issues.

He obviously struggled with whatever advice he was given to try and draw more walks. He is much better when he is trying to be aggressive and get on base any way possible. Sorry Scottie, but you just don't look at pitches well, my friend.

As for his arm, we all knew his arm sucked. Let's not bring it up now as if it didn't suck just as poorly in 05'. I distinctly remember screaming at him when he could not throw out the runner from second base in the 9th inning of Game 2 in the World Series. I would have held a grudge against him for months. Then he went and hit that homerun in the bottom of the inning and 'completely redeemed himself,' to paraphrase Harry from D & D.

His defense was porous, but that certainly wasn't helped by the injury. I thought he improved in the second half, however, I know I am in the minority with that observation.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
We are screwed in Downers for this. I cant get the Daily Herald nor can I get the Southtown due to a local Downers paper that is terrible. So I have to deal with the trib or the times. This is just so dumb.

Would you be referring to the Reporter or the Sun.. both being completely awful, just curious, I'm with you here in Downers, we've got some sub-par local papers, thats for sure..