ONTV

retro1983hat

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Yes, after Sox games were over on Channel 44, you could get pay to get ONTV and if you were like my family you had a Black Box. Of course after 11pm you got a "special" treat. My friends used coat hangers and got the "treat" for free.

The descrambler kit for ON-TV was known as a 7/11 kit back then. I built one for a science fair for grade school. The parts for the kit cost 60 bucks with the antenna.

I never told my parents about the "special" treat that turned on after 11pm. I dont think they would of sanctioned the building of it.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
Yes, after Sox games were over on Channel 44, you could get pay to get ONTV and if you were like my family you had a Black Box. Of course after 11pm you got a "special" treat. My friends used coat hangers and got the "treat" for free.

Didn't it have a knob on the front of it with three channels or something like that?

Man, I TOTALLY remember that...and now I feel old.

Thanks for that. Jerk.

:chair

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Didn't it have a knob on the front of it with three channels or something like that?

Man, I TOTALLY remember that...and now I feel old.

Thanks for that. Jerk.

:chair

Actually I feel old because I remember watching Speed Racer on Channel 44 in the afternoons.

There was another live action show with like three robots. I can't remember the names. They were like Gold, Silver and Bronze or something like that.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
Actually I feel old because I remember watching Speed Racer on Channel 44 in the afternoons.

There was another live action show with like three robots. I can't remember the names. They were like Gold, Silver and Bronze or something like that.

That would be Goldar, Silvar, and their robot kid Gam from Space Giants! :headbang :headbang

Kid Gleason will prolly come along and tell you the show was really called Ambassador Magma in Japan, but here we called it Space Giants!

Yep, Speed Racer on Channel 44 for me too, and also another great early Japanimation treat, Prince Planet. :headbang

As far as ONTV and the "special treat". . . I neber had the wherwithall to build the descrambler, so I spent a lot of late night time watching that image with the big jumpy line through it. 'Wait, wait, was that a half-boob or was it a bowling ball?!?'

:bang

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
That would be Goldar, Silvar, and their robot kid Gam from Space Giants! :headbang :headbang

Kid Gleason will prolly come along and tell you the show was really called Ambassador Magma in Japan, but here we called it Space Giants!

Yep, Speed Racer on Channel 44 for me too, and also another great early Japanimation treat, Prince Planet. :headbang

As far as ONTV and the "special treat". . . I neber had the wherwithall to build the descrambler, so I spent a lot of late night time watching that image with the big jumpy line through it. 'Wait, wait, was that a half-boob or was it a bowling ball?!?'

Can't forget Spectreman. AWESOME!! I will defeat you, Spectreman.

Dr. Gori

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)

No I won't. I loved the shows as a kid, but honestly the Sentai stuff never really appealed to me too much, so I never got geeky about it. I do LOVE Spectreman though. The new DVD for Super Inframan (the lone Shaw Brothers venture into the style) is also a very cool disc.

You didn't need to subscribe to ONTV to get the enjoyment out of Adults ONly, by the way.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
Didn't Channel 7 also have adult pay tv after 2 AM in the early 80s?

Who here remembers that channel 32 used to go off the air about 1 or 2am and then have ads and some music. It was called Night Owl, the ads would be like the local cable TV channel is today and would rotate with some radio station. I remember falling asleep to the Betty Davis Eyes song and I always feel like someone is watching me song was playing like every night.

Specterman was great, but my favorite was the show Battle of the Planets that had G-Force.

Battleplanets2.jpg

Then of course the mother of all TV shows. Robotech.