What would the Mets give for Javy?

beck72

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
I was told by someone in the Cards organization that one of the reasons they didn't go all out after Schmidt and Suppan is because they're saving up money for Buehrle after this upcoming season.

That's interesting, because the Cards were the ones insisting that the Schmidt deal wasn't done the first day it was reported because his agent told them they were still in the running. Apparently, they were making quite an offer to him, despite preliminary reports (which proved to be correct) that he had signed with the Dodgers.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 03:00 AM)
That's interesting, because the Cards were the ones insisting that the Schmidt deal wasn't done the first day it was reported because his agent told them they were still in the running. Apparently, they were making quite an offer to him, despite preliminary reports (which proved to be correct) that he had signed with the Dodgers.

The Cards knew that they'd have to offer the 4th year in order to get Schmidt to play in the midwest. They weren't willing to do that, as they didn't want the extra year/money on the books.

An update.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...6&fext=.jsp

If the Mets are offering a 5 yr, $70 mill. deal for Zito and not going beyond that, Zito will be pitching in Texas. In the article, Wilpon says the Mets are looking at trades with 2 or 3 teams. The sox are most likley one of those. Yet I can see the A's making a big push for Milledge and some arms.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
Shoot, If I were the Mets I wouldn't even give up Pelfrey for Vazquez (I am very biased, I think Vazquez is a marginal, at best, pitcher). However, maybe they like the guy...

Minaya is obsessed with Javy, so i think we could land pelfrey here, he would be ready in less than 2 years for the majors and seems to be a good pitcher in the future, add another prospect who is farther away from the majors and i would jump at this deal, like kwolf said Javy isnt all that great and to get guys like this back would be awesome and would set us up as contenders in the future with a strong pitching rotation

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Shoot, If I were the Mets I wouldn't even give up Pelfrey for Vazquez (I am very biased, I think Vazquez is a marginal, at best, pitcher). However, maybe they like the guy...

We'll see where Zito ends up, but Minya stated he was disappointed they weren't able to get Garcia. They tried for him, but said they couldn't agree on the prospects...

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 05:52 AM)
Who is generally considered the better prospect, Mike Pelfrey or Phillip Humber?

Pure stuff wise, I actually think Humber may be a bit better. However, Pelfrey is the better all around prospect, especially when you consider the health issues Humber has had. When healthy, both are guys that you could project into the front of your rotation in a couple years (if they pan out).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
I could see Toronto getting in the mix for Javy/Jon/Mark.

Hi Rios....

Does Toronto have any quality hanging around in their minor leagues?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Well if you added Heilman (as has been proposed in the Haren deal), to make it Heilman, Humber and Milledge, that certainly looks better from our end.

One thing to potentially consider...the White Sox only have 1 opening on their 40 man roster, and by my count, that's 3 players coming back for 1 going out. Which means that somewhere, we'd need another opening on our 40-man.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
I would be surprised if the Sox traded anymore starters this offseason. I figure they will go into opening day with Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Vazquez, and B-Mac, with Floyd competing as well.

3 of those 4 still have their contracts up within 2 years. That's got to be the key thing driving Kenny right now, if he is serious about trying to build a contender every year.

He won't make a deal without getting someone who is going to start at AAA this year or better so that they can actually compete for that 5th starter spot (unless he also deals Dye and fills that role), but I certainly can see him going with 3 vets, McCarthy, and then the best of Floyd and whoever else we get. That still would put us 6-7 people deep in our rotation, with extra guys ready to come in after 2007, which is a really good place to be in.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 07:52 AM)
Who is generally considered the better prospect, Mike Pelfrey or Phillip Humber?

BP ranked the top three Mets prospects as follows:

1. Fernando Martinez

2. Philip Humber

3. Mike Pelfrey

But really I think it will vary based on who you ask.