How hard can it be to bunt?

witesoxfan

I'm so damn confused.

Konerko can't get a sacrifice down last night, Wellemeyer pops one up today....I mean, what is so hard about sticking the bat out over the plate and watching the ball make contact with the bat?

I guess when players stick the needle in to take the steroids, and when they start hitting the homers, they forget how to bunt or something. Drives me crazy.

The problem is that people are practicing bunting less and less in today's game that it's becoming more of an obscure fundamental. More people are aiming to please the fans, so they work on their swing way more. Without practice, you can't perfect something. Jerry Manuel must put more stress on bunting if he wants his team to bunt better.

No way.  It isn't THAT easy.  It takes practice, pitch recognition, and proper bat angle.

I know for a fact that the bat should never be level :headbang . Seriously though, if you think bunting is easy, go to a batting cage. Go to the cage that is the fastest and try bunting a few. I've done it in a cage that I clocked at 90 MPH with a friend. I hit the ball straight-away and deep before I laid down a bunt that I didn't flat out miss, bunt straight back foul, or bunt into my face. FYI..... bunting a ball into your face hurts ;) . Bunting is a skill that all MLB players should be able to do. Having said that, it still isn't easy but the pros should have no excuse for not being able to do it when the situation arises.