That black suited villain from the Spider movie...(SPOILER)

Kid Gleason

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Secret Wars was such a amalgamated FUBAR that it would take 7 movies to get through just part of it.

Most of the Spiderman storylines in the 90's had that problem. Too many storylines running through too many different books (the Amazing Spiderman, the incredible Spiderman, the Scarlett Spider, Spiderman). Same thing with the X-men storylines, they just got way out of whack and the editors had to reign in some of the schizophrenic storylines and bring it to a more basic approach. If I am not mistaken that is the reason that Marvel almost went under, they just had too many different issues and titles for the same characters, and not enough people buying them.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 01:13 AM)
True, but 80s Marvel wasn't much better.

All techicolor-y and ads for the newest candy or toy.

(70s too.)

This is true as well, but back in the 70's and 80's comic books were still pretty popular, so they could get away with the not-very-hidden advertisements. Their popularity started to dip in the 90's, to the point that Marvel was taking huge losses on their issues. Truth be told, the giant leap in digital technology and movie graphics has really refueled a sleeping comic book industry. Back in the day, only the big superheroes were getting the blockbusters and TV shows(Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Hulk), now there are niche comics (Hellboy, Domino) and Graphic Novels (Sin City) that are getting a shot, as well as the big-timers in Spiderman, Superman, and Batman getting make-overs.

The great thing is that if you get the right director, one of the storylines such as the Secret Wars or the Infinity Gauntlet becomes a possiblity, which is really cool to a nerd such as myself. I fully expect Venom to get his own movie at some point, he is one of the more popular villains and he has the Karnage storyline to bring to light.

QUOTE(knightni @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Secret Wars was such a amalgamated FUBAR that it would take 7 movies to get through just part of it.

I agree, it would be difficult, but the way LOTR was pulled off gave me some hope for more complicated fantasy type stories. LOTR are long movies, but there was still some cut out from the books, but I think they pulled it off well.

However, Secret Wars would have major rights and money splitting issues, so I'm not holding my breath!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
Most of the Spiderman storylines in the 90's had that problem. Too many storylines running through too many different books (the Amazing Spiderman, the incredible Spiderman, the Scarlett Spider, Spiderman). Same thing with the X-men storylines, they just got way out of whack and the editors had to reign in some of the schizophrenic storylines and bring it to a more basic approach. If I am not mistaken that is the reason that Marvel almost went under, they just had too many different issues and titles for the same characters, and not enough people buying them.

Another thing that really hurt that industry in the mid 90's was that in the late 80's and early 90's there was a big boom in buying those sorts of books as "collectible" items, such that they were making a ton of money by just printing a lot of copies of issues, or adding different covers as "collector" items, but then after a few years people started trying to sell all the new "collectibles" they had and discovered that everyone else already had the same issues and the value hadn't gone up as they wanted, which led to a pretty big crash in overall sales.