ex-Pres Carter is chicken!

EvilMonkey

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
I suppose that works. But I'm skeptical of all awards handed out by panels.

There's a case for Carter...thirty years ago. Today, it isn't a "recognition" as much as a political prize.

I'll agree with the first comment, but this is the mother of all panels.

Number two, I have to agree again that there was a case thirty years ago however, his post-Presidency accomplishments are greater than during his Presidency or at the minimum added on top of them. I can't think of any other American who has traveled the globe as intensively in the name of peace and democracy. While others have lined their pockets, played in pro-ams on the PGA tour, or any other retirement activities, he remained active and used his platform as an American President, to champion human rights around the world. He was a much more worthy pick in 2003.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 09:47 PM)
While others have lined their pockets, played in pro-ams on the PGA tour, or any other retirement activities, he remained active and used his platform as an American President, to champion human rights around the world. He was a much more worthy pick in 2003.

Even when some of the elections he certifies are considered to be almost invalid because of the amount of corruption involved? If he champions human rights but sucks at actually accomplishing anything (in the human rights department), does that make it ok because his intention was in the right place? He probably got the award as much for trying to be opposite of Bush as he did for his charity work, which is a shame because it almost overshadows his good work after leaving office. He should have let Habitat be his legacy and left it at that.

Edited by EvilMonkey

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Let's see how long it takes us to knock down all the houses he's helped build for people without homes.

I would have hoped you could have figured out that I meant in the human rights area, especially since I acknowledged in the same post that he had done good building the homes. I fixed my post for the temporarily challenged people.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
Even when some of the elections he certifies are considered to be almost invalid because of the amount of corruption involved? If he champions human rights but sucks at actually accomplishing anything (in the human rights department), does that make it ok because his intention was in the right place? He probably got the award as much for trying to be opposite of Bush as he did for his charity work, which is a shame because it almost overshadows his good work after leaving office. He should have let Habitat be his legacy and left it at that.

The challenges will take more than one man. In reading your post I am reminded of a quote by Theodore Roosevelt which hung in my office for many a year.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic,"

Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
I would have hoped you could have figured out that I meant in the human rights area, especially since I acknowledged in the same post that he had done good building the homes. I fixed my post for the temporarily challenged people.

I don't read other people's posts...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
I am reminded of a quote by Theodore Roosevelt which hung in my office for many a year.

why was Teddy Roosevelt hanging in your office for many a year?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
I don't read other people's posts...

why was Teddy Roosevelt hanging in your office for many a year?

A genie granted me a wish and I asked for dead Presidents to cover my walls . . .

• 4 weeks later...

14 members of Carter's advisory board have resigned in protest over his new book.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16579676/

Carter's Palestine book prompts resignations

Updated: 49 minutes ago

ATLANTA - Fourteen members of an advisory board to Jimmy Carter’s human rights organization resigned Thursday to protest his new book, which criticizes Israeli policy in the Palestinian territories.

The resignations from The Carter Center board are the latest backlash against the former president’s book “Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid,” which has drawn fire from Jewish groups, been attacked by fellow Democrats and led to the resignation last month of Kenneth Stein, a center fellow and a longtime Carter adviser.

“You have clearly abandoned your historic role of broker in favor of becoming an advocate for one side,” the departing members of the Center’s Board of Councilors told Carter in their letter of resignation.

The 200-member board is responsible for building public support for the Carter Center. It is not the organization’s governing board.

The board’s members “are not engaged in implementing work of the Center,” Carter Center Executive Director John Hardman said Thursday in a news release.

Blame all around, but mostly of Israeli policy

Deanna Congileo, a spokeswoman for Carter and the center, issued Hardman’s statement in response to The Associated Press’ request for comment from Carter.

The book follows the Israeli-Palestinian peace process starting with Carter’s 1977-1980 presidency and the peace accord he negotiated between Israel and Egypt. It doles out blame to Israel, the Palestinians, the United States and others, but it is most critical of Israeli policy.

Steve Berman, an Atlanta real estate developer among those who resigned, said members have “watched with great dismay” as Carter defended the book, especially as he implied that Americans might be afraid to discuss the conflict in fear of a powerful Jewish lobby.

Berman said the religious affiliation of the resigning members, which include some prominent Jewish leaders in the Atlanta area, didn’t influence their decision.

The resignations came a day after Congileo and officials at Brandeis University said Carter will discuss the book at the Waltham, Mass., campus. The Nobel Peace Prize winner will not, however, debate the book with outspoken Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz, as Brandeis originally proposed.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Dersh is terrible, too, but Carter is a serious case to be made for "Worst President Ever."

Meet Herbert Hoover, Andrew Johnson, Calvin Coolidge, John Quincy Adams, Franklin Pierce, & James Buchanan.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Warren G. Harding was a total douchebag and you all know it, yet no one ever says anything.

No he wasn't.

Only chickens take strong stands, especially when it involves the Middle East. Men of courage and conviction would have just tried to appease both sides and not blame anyone.

Gee, now I get it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 07:57 AM)
Only chickens take strong stands, especially when it involves the Middle East. Men of courage and conviction would have just tried to appease both sides and not blame anyone.

Gee, now I get it.

No, they would have at least tried to get the facts right, though.