Sox sign Toby Hall

Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Can Owens even play CF? I know almost nothing about him, except that he still needs time in the minors.

You hear a lot of people say he can but the sad truth of the matter is that he's a horrid ass CFer who rarely, if ever played it in the minors and for a reason.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Well then let's hope he isn't the one picked for the backup CF role. I am hoping, at this point, we have Terrero for that role, and then either Sweeney or Owens as the backup corner OF (which leaves Mack, Cintron and Hall for the other 3 bench slots). Sweeney is probably more ready, but knowing Ozzie, he'd prefer a speedster like Owens on the bench.

If Sweeney's with the major league team, why not just use him as the backup cf?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
Is Sweeney better than Terrero defensively in CF?

Never seen Terrero. Sweeney is a corner OF/pitcher defensively, but his athleticism and speed makes him look decentish out there, and he has a gun for an arm.

Sweeney is an excellent prospect, but he isn't ready for the majors yet. His 2006 performance in AAA and the majors showed that. We shouldn't slow his development by bringing him up to the majors so that he can sit on the bench as a backup OFer. The fact that he is a little better defensively than Terrero doesn't justify hampering his development.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Sweeney is an excellent prospect, but he isn't ready for the majors yet. His 2006 performance in AAA and the majors showed that. We shouldn't slow his development by bringing him up to the majors so that he can sit on the bench as a backup OFer. The fact that he is a little better defensively than Terrero doesn't justify hampering his development.

These are my sentiments as well.

I would just like someone to explain to me how you get adjusted to MLB pitching in Charlotte? There are somethings that another year at AAA, just doesn't teach you, such as the speed, nuances, and intensity of the MLB game. Ryan Sweeney could stay in AAA until 2010, but there is still going to be an adjustment period when he hits Chicago. Heck look at Joe Crede, he was MVP of AA and AAA, and he still took 4 years to put together an entire solid season at the MLB level.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)
I would just like someone to explain to me how you get adjusted to MLB pitching in Charlotte? There are somethings that another year at AAA, just doesn't teach you, such as the speed, nuances, and intensity of the MLB game. Ryan Sweeney could stay in AAA until 2010, but there is still going to be an adjustment period when he hits Chicago. Heck look at Joe Crede, he was MVP of AA and AAA, and he still took 4 years to put together an entire solid season at the MLB level.

Just a guess as I am no expert on such things, but, maybe it depends on whether or not the player has specific, known weaknesses he needs to work on. For example, if Sweeney has something mechanical about his swing, or he can't read breaking pitches, or some such thing, then that should maybe be worked out at AAA. If its more a matter of general experience, then I agree, he could probably learn faster at the MLB level.

1) You don't get adjusted to MLB pitching by coming up to the majors and sitting on the bench and playing maybe one game a week.

2) When he hasn't yet done particularly well at the AAA level, it is hard for me to see that he is ready for the majors.

3) Therefore, Sweeney needs more time to figure things out and become a better baseball player at the AAA level and come to the majors only when he can come up and get significant playing time.

Rushing Sweeney to the majors isn't going to be good for him or the Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 07:39 AM)

The only thing I would worry about is if Ozzie can only find the playing time Gload received for Sweeney, then sitting on the bench would be stunting his growth. Sweeney is a guy who hasn't played all that much baseball in his life, at least relatively speaking. His high school baseball season lasted less than 20 games I believe, something very similar to one Carlton Fisk who was a much better major leaguer than minor leaguer probably because of experience. Sweeney needs to play. If Ozzie can get him in the line-up, playing in Chicago could be good for him, I agree he's going to have growing pains whether its in 2007 or 2008 or 2009. If he's going to ride a lot of pine, he's probably better off with another year in Charlotte.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)

Definitely needs the call up with expanded rosters, which I realize is an obvious statement. Fact is, he's probably patrolling our outfield somewhere next year. Whether that be RF or LF...

Which means, we need to find him some major league at bats in 07.

Edited by SEALgep