Alex Rios?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
When im thinking of MLB ready arms that they may value, you have to look at Sisco, Haeger, Floyd, as something they may want, but all in all, we may not be a good trade partner.

There is absolutely no reason to trade Gavin Floyd right now. The only reason the White Sox got him was that almost all of the value in him had dried up after 2+ years of subpar performances in Philly. If you trade a guy like him now, you are trading him at perhaps the absolute bottom of his trade value. At least try to get a decent season out of him before you trade him if that's your plan, so that maybe you take advantage of that supposedly excellent pitching coach.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
I'm thinking that Floyd and Broadway won't get it done. What if we add Owens ? Would Toronto take that ?

Then , the Sox could trade Pods for bullpen help.

I'd love that.

I dont think that will come close. Buster Olney suggested that Rios has more value than Vernon Wells in a trade because hes cheap and locked in for 4 more years. He's probably right. I cant imagine that the Blue Jays would take anything less than Garland or McCarthy, especially since the Angels have Ervin Santana to dangle out there, even though the Angels do have their 50 million dollar man patrolling CF. You would be crazy to trade Rios for anything less than a real major league starter or a big, big prospect.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
I dont know. I would think maybe a decent spec or a back of the rotation guy. He had a half-way breakout season last year, but isnt quite a Wells type player that you will overpay for.

He has 4 cheap years ahead of him, will be 26 years old next year and has major upside. Why the hell would they trade him for a league average to below average pitcher (back of the rotation guy) or a prospect like Broadway (who is decent)? That makes no sense. If Ricardi is even a halfway decent GM he won't let Rios go for anything less than a top 5-10 pitching prospect in all of baseball to start.

I love some of these offers...reminds me of my fantasy football league. We have one guy who makes these type of offers

You give me LaDainian Tomlinson and Ill give you Sammy Morris, Bo Scaife, Sammie Parker, the Cardinals defense, and I'll even throw in Brandon Lloyd.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
I love some of these offers...reminds me of my fantasy football league. We have one guy who makes these type of offers

You give me LaDainian Tomlinson and Ill give you Sammy Morris, Bo Scaife, Sammie Parker, the Cardinals defense, and I'll even throw in Brandon Lloyd.

Wait, are you telling me Jerry Owens isn't considered a big time prospect? That Sean Tracey, Arnie Munoz and Casey Rogowski won't bring me big time talent in return?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Wait, are you telling me Jerry Owens isn't considered a big time prospect? That Sean Tracey, Arnie Munoz and Casey Rogowski won't bring me big time talent in return?

Throw in Stephen Randolph and you can maybe pull it off.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
He has 4 cheap years ahead of him, will be 26 years old next year and has major upside. Why the hell would they trade him for a league average to below average pitcher (back of the rotation guy) or a prospect like Broadway (who is decent)? That makes no sense. If Ricardi is even a halfway decent GM he won't let Rios go for anything less than a top 5-10 pitching prospect in all of baseball to start.

He isnt worth nearly what Wells was worth, and has really only had about 1 half of a good season. I wouldnt expect top packages for him IMO.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 09:35 PM)
He isnt worth nearly what Wells was worth, and has really only had about 1 half of a good season. I wouldnt expect top packages for him IMO.

Then be prepared to be shocked at what the Jays get offered. There's some speculation that the Mets might offer Lastings and Heilman for him. I wouldn't be stunned if we offered Vazquez and a prospect for Rios.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
Then be prepared to be shocked at what the Jays get offered. There's some speculation that the Mets might offer Lastings and Heilman for him. I wouldn't be stunned if we offered Vazquez and a prospect for Rios.

Thats not correct, it was rumored they would offer Millege and Heilman for Rios and another top prospect from the Jays.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)

Not sure why he wouldn't be worth nearly what Wells was worth....Wells had 1 year left on his deal and was widely speculated to want to sign long-term in Texas, or stay in Toronto (although that offer they gave him was unexpected). Not many teams would've felt comfortable dishing out the sort of cash Wells would have demanded considering his open desire to return to Texas or stay in Toronto.

Meanwhile, Rios was a highly touted prospect until probably late 05', when he was struggling. The Jays tried to deal him last offseason, but were unsuccessful. He had a breakout first half in 06', and his poor second half is chalked up to a nasty staph infection. I don't believe many teams view that as much of a detriment to his potential ability or say he only had a "nice half." He is 4 years from FA, with 5-tool ability. The primary reason the Jays would look to deal him is because of his value on the trade market and their need for starting pitching. If his trade value wasn't extraordinarily high in this market, they wouldn't even think of dealing him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Thats not correct, it was rumored they would offer Millege and Heilman for Rios and another top prospect from the Jays.

No matter who that other prospect is from Toronto, the Mets package is a hell of a lot more than what some people on here think we could offer for Rios. Once the Wells contract rumors started, there was some talk that Toronto might be interested in Vazquez.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)
Not sure why he wouldn't be worth nearly what Wells was worth

Because wells>Rios.

I dont ever think Rios will be close to the player that Wells is IMO.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
No matter who that other prospect is from Toronto, the Mets package is a hell of a lot more than what some people on here think we could offer for Rios. Once the Wells contract rumors started, there was some talk that Toronto might be interested in Vazquez.

Yeah, could be true. Millege's stock has dropped drastically and Heilman doesnt want to play his best position which is out of the pen. I woudnt want to deal one of our current starters though, as we would have a gaping hole.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Because wells>Rios.

I dont ever think Rios will be close to the player that Wells is IMO.

Rios showed huge improvements last year, and he's one of the few young guys in the majors who legitimately have five tools. I was very impressed with how the ball jumped off of his bat last year. You're right though, trading a starter away would leave too much of a gaping hole.

From this season, what was the difference in OBP's b/w Rios and Wells, because I know Wells had the better slugging percentage but Rios hit for a better average.

For mine, Rios is probably worth more than Rocco Baldelli (just), but not as much as Crawford (obviously).

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
If it were only that simple.

Do you think Freddy has more trade value than Brandon, simply because

Freddy > Brandon?

Wells in one of the best players at his position, Garcia simply isnt.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Wells in one of the best players at his position, Garcia simply isnt.

That's completely irrelevant. You're overlooking so many other factors in what makes up a player's trade value. If you could have either player, Wells for 1 year guaranteed, or Rios for 4 years guaranteed. are you telling me you would take Wells?

And further, if you could have Rios for 4 years for an absolute bargain, or Wells, and pay him close to 60 million, you'd still take Wells?

Reed Johnson or Alex Rios are now surplus to requirements, and a package will be put together to pursue someone such as the Los Angeles Dodgers' Brad Penny or, maybe, the Oakland Athletics' Rich Harden or Dan Haren. Javier Vazquez of the Chicago White Sox liked working with Blue Jays pitching coach Brad Arnsberg when they were with the Montreal Expos, and the White Sox have been trying to trade him or Jon Garland.

Interesting little tid bit regarding this situation. I am not sure which direction it will go, but I would love to have Rios in a Sox uniform. I am not sure losing Javy for him would break my heart.

Full Story

Scout.com http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=315&p=2&c=601667

Newest Rumor-- George Hewitt, our special contact on the West Coast, reports that the latest rumor has Toronto swapping Reed Johnson, Alex Rios, and Dustin McGowan for Brad Penny.

Johnson is a 30-year-old outfielder who has a four year record of .288-40-220 while operating as a part-timer for the Blue Jays. He hit .319 with 12 homers and 29 RBI over 134 games in 2006.

Alex Rios is a 26-year-old outfielder who has a .283-28-169 record over three seasons and 385 games. He hit .302 in 2006 with 17 homers and 82 RBI.

Both Johnson and Rios are righthanded hitters.

McGowan is a 25-year-old righthanded starter who was 4-5, 3.82 for AAA Syracuse last season and has pitched briefly for the Jays in 2005-06 and has a 2-5, 6.32 ERA over that time.

Penny has the right to demand a trade a year after he's traded to another team. If he remained healthy, he'd probably try to rework his contract.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
That right was removed in the new CBA. It's gone.

Still the Dodgers have been talking about moving Penny since they signed Schmidt anyway. IIRC they can pencil in about 6 starters right now, and they're desperate for a bat with some power. I'm not sure Rios fits that role that well though, so they may just be trying to take what they can get without having to sacrifice Billingsly or Kemp.