Capital improvement fund raising program

southsider2k5

It looks like I might get to be a big part of a capital improvement fund raising program for a local not for profit organization in the near future. My question is, has anyone ever been involved in anything like this, and if so, what was it like? I imagine it will be a big challenge, but I am curious to hear war stories if anyone has any.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
It looks like I might get to be a big part of a capital improvement fund raising program for a local not for profit organization in the near future. My question is, has anyone ever been involved in anything like this, and if so, what was it like? I imagine it will be a big challenge, but I am curious to hear war stories if anyone has any.

bake sales....killer.

Mike I have done many fund raisers. What is the dollar goal? What has the group done in the past? How many people are involved (paid staff/volunteers)? What resources do you have?

The key is first adding up all the resources, and especially don't forget people and their hidden talents.

Right now I am in the middle of a small fundraiser that we are projecting will earn us $45,000. That is much different than a $2,000,000 capital campaign. So what are we talking?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Mike I have done many fund raisers. What is the dollar goal? What has the group done in the past? How many people are involved (paid staff/volunteers)? What resources do you have?

The key is first adding up all the resources, and especially don't forget people and their hidden talents.

Right now I am in the middle of a small fundraiser that we are projecting will earn us $45,000. That is much different than a $2,000,000 capital campaign. So what are we talking?

Probably something pretty close to the second figure. We are still in the "vision" stage of determining what our "dreams" are before we start to figure out what they would cost, but a really loose estimate was $1-$2 million.

I haven't been to the board of directors meeting yet, or to talk to the finance committee, so I have no real idea of the logisitics here. I was at the facilities committee meeting last night, and we had just started talking about what we wanted to do to transform a mid 1960's facility into something for the 21st century.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Probably something pretty close to the second figure. We are still in the "vision" stage of determining what our "dreams" are before we start to figure out what they would cost, but a really loose estimate was $1-$2 million.

I haven't been to the board of directors meeting yet, or to talk to the finance committee, so I have no real idea of the logisitics here. I was at the facilities committee meeting last night, and we had just started talking about what we wanted to do to transform a mid 1960's facility into something for the 21st century.

Mike, feel free to message me. As a Managing Director of a Theatre I am highly involved in our Fundraising and Giving programs.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)

One thing I have seen proved time and time again, is having the vision of what you will use the money for transforms the fund raiser. The "all we can get" does not work. Once you have the money figure in mind try and ascertain how wide you have to cast your net. If the amount and your location/resources are such that you believe one person/foundation has the resources to fill your needs, go ask and away you go. Some situations are like that. At the other end of the scale of needs, have Pres. Bush and Clinton raising money worldwide is what it takes. Don't cast the net any wider than you will need.

I like the "let's not go" black tie gala. If you are nice, I may just let you in on the details.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 06:35 AM)
Interesting stuff guys, you both just might be hearing from me soon...

The "Let's Not Go" Gala is a letter writing campaign. Basically you would receive a letter from a friend that states, my wife has ben asked to put on this fund raiser gala, tickets are going to be $250. Your wife will need a new dress, and of course new shoes and a handbag to match. You will need to babysitter etc. etc. Why not just send a check for $500 and not go?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
The "Let's Not Go" Gala is a letter writing campaign. Basically you would receive a letter from a friend that states, my wife has ben asked to put on this fund raiser gala, tickets are going to be $250. Your wife will need a new dress, and of course new shoes and a handbag to match. You will need to babysitter etc. etc. Why not just send a check for $500 and not go?

We also are going to be trying for a big grant application from a foundation that only gives money in MC and in NYC. This could be really exciting, and I am glad you agreed that the vision was the key thing here. No one had really addressed it yet, and I said something to that effect. Yeah, asking for money is nice, and it is a good cause, but if you can sell a dream with it, it would seem to be more effective.