Sox need RH bench bat for LF, DH/1B

VAfan

In a short piece in USA Today listing some potential FA bargains, they listed Craig Wilson as one of the guys still free who could be a bargain.

We still really need a RH bat off the bench who can play LF and 1B/DH because the lefty-righty splits last year for Scott Podsednik, Rob Mackowiak, and Jim Thome were HORRIBLE. Thome, the best of this lot, slugged less than .400 against lefties last season. Needless to say, Pablo Ozuna isn't going to fill this void. (Personally, I would rather have Sweeney up semi-platooning with Anderson in CF than have Ozuna. Without Sweeney, we are stuck with Mack backing up Anderson in CF. But that's another debate.)

But Craig Wilson could. Here are his splits for the last 3 years.

vs. Left 294 52 80 18 3 14 43 40 10 81 2 1 .272 .378 .497 .875

vs. Right 823 121 210 46 5 37 110 68 36 279 4 1 .255 .337 .458 .795

As far as fielding goes, he's played a lot more RF than LF, but he's played more in the OF than as a 1B. He's even played catcher in 40 games (it never hurts to have an emergency third guy there).

His salary last year was $3.3 million. I wouldn't give him much more than that. But we really need someone to fill that hole, and now that Ross Gload is gone, we need a right hander to fill that need.

If not Craig Wilson, then who??

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
Dye also in a pinch

So IF a move is made like this, who would be the odd man out of the 40 man?

I'm pretty sure Luis Terrero was brought in to try to take this exact role, he's a righty, he's at least non-terrible defensively from what I'm told, can't hit worth a lick, but he at least covers the defensive role. If we wanted to focus more on the bat, then I think he'd have to be the one to go...and anyway, he's about the only other guy on the 40 man who isn't considered either a decent prospect or expected to be on the team this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
I'm pretty sure Luis Terrero was brought in to try to take this exact role, he's a righty, he's at least non-terrible defensively from what I'm told, can't hit worth a lick, but he at least covers the defensive role. If we wanted to focus more on the bat, then I think he'd have to be the one to go...and anyway, he's about the only other guy on the 40 man who isn't considered either a decent prospect or expected to be on the team this year.

Terrero is terrible. I'm not saying we don't give him a chance but the guy couldn't make it with the freaking Orioles...that should say something right there. He's a decent defensive guy but can't hit for crap at the major league level and isn't exactly a toolsy guy. I'll take my chances with Mack in CF before I'd have Terrero as our main CF backup (since I'd rather utilize Sweeney if Terrero is my other option and just creatively find a way to get him AB's).

I just don't think we picked him up to be on the roster...will we give him a chance during spring, sure, but aside from that I think it was just a guy that caught our eye and Kenny knew he could get him cheap and have him as a worse case scenario.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
Terrero is terrible. I'm not saying we don't give him a chance but the guy couldn't make it with the freaking Orioles...that should say something right there. He's a decent defensive guy but can't hit for crap at the major league level and isn't exactly a toolsy guy. I'll take my chances with Mack in CF before I'd have Terrero as our main CF backup (since I'd rather utilize Sweeney if Terrero is my other option and just creatively find a way to get him AB's).

I just don't think we picked him up to be on the roster...will we give him a chance during spring, sure, but aside from that I think it was just a guy that caught our eye and Kenny knew he could get him cheap and have him as a worse case scenario.

He's nothing but an insurance policy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
I agree, but I see way too many people continuosly saying he's pretty much got a job on our bench and personally I don't think that is true (plus I don't want it to be true, lol).

I'm pretty sure I don't want it to be true either, but I just can't see a better option available other than Owens.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
So IF a move is made like this, who would be the odd man out of the 40 man?

It's really not of concern. There's dead weight on the 40-man.

Sean Tracey, Dewon Day, Paulino Reynoso, Pedro Lopez, Andy Gonzalez, Casey Rogowski.

None are likely to ever make an impact on the big league roster.

If the Sox want to upgrade, they'll have no problem letting one of these go...

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)

Sean Tracey, Dewon Day, Paulino Reynoso, Pedro Lopez, Andy Gonzalez, Casey Rogowski.

Exactly why do we have Andy Frickin Gonzalez on the 40 man squad?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)

im pretty sure that some of those guys will turn out to be decent big leaguers, atleast tracey and rogowski seem to be promising, but tracey and ozzie had those fudes and we have PK and Thome ahead of Rogo, so he might not have a future with the team (i dont know how many years he has left in the minors) so i wouldnt mind seeing them traded for some prospects at positions that will be open later on, for example second base, the pirates seem to be shopping this kid around who seems to have a good future but is stuck behind freddie gonzalez, instead of dumping these guys i wouldnt mind trading a couple for guys that could actually help fill holes for us later on

You aren't goint to be subbing very much, if at all, for Jim Thome. If he sits for a game or two I would think someone other than Konerko would be the DH, but it's possible that Thome and Konerko might change roles on occassion. CF relief will be by either Owens or Sweeney in my opinion. Mack only in emergencies. I don't know diddly about this guy Terrero we signed.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
CF relief will be by either Owens or Sweeney in my opinion. Mack only in emergencies. I don't know diddly about this guy Terrero we signed.

Sweeney is not going to be sitting on the bench as a backup. As it stands right at this moment Terrero is the best candidate for backup CF.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 03:34 PM)
You aren't goint to be subbing very much, if at all, for Jim Thome. If he sits for a game or two I would think someone other than Konerko would be the DH, but it's possible that Thome and Konerko might change roles on occassion.

Jim Thome will probably actually sit more days next year than last year, especially early in the season, to try to avoid some of the nagging little things that started hitting him around August. I believe Ozzie has indicated he'll try to rest Thome more.

Who knows, maybe whoever KW invites to spring training as non-rosters will pull away from the rest of the bunch and make the roster like Pablo Ozuna did a few years ago. But we have a few months until spring training, I'm sure something will happen.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 08:45 PM)
Trade for Melky Cabrera, switch hitter who can play all three outfield positions.

um your talking young pitching for him, we dont have that much depth and kenny is trying to stockpile it, not saying i dont want melky but its probably not going to happen

Twenty replies and not one addressing whether Craig Wilson would be a good fit??

Alrighty, then .... I guess it's unanimous.

Seriously, folks, get a grip. We got MURDERED last year by left handed pitching. Why? Because 6 guys in our lineup could not hit lefties to save themselves most of the time.

Scott Podsednik

Tadahito Iguchi -- anyone remember his splits for most of the year?? He sucked against lefties

Jim Thome -- under .400 slugging against lefties -- that's pitiful. Ross Gload was better.

AJ Pierzynski -- another lefty with terrible spits

Juan Uribe -- couldn't hit lefties or righties

Brian Anderson -- ditto (actually hit lefties worse)

The three gaps in this lineup were the only guys who could hit lefties at all. Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, and Joe Crede. You can't win many games with mediocre pitching if only 3 guys in your lineup can hit.

Off the bench we had:

Rob Mackowiak -- hit lefties even worse than Podsednik, if that's possible

Chris Widger or Sandy Alomar -- no hitting there

Pablo Ozuna -- okay until he pulled his hammy. Then he went two months getting only 2 hits, yet never went on the DL??? Still, this no power guy is there for L/R balance??????

Alex Cintron -- as a righty hitter he is terrible.

Guess who the best bench hitter was against lefties?? Yes, Ross Gload, whom we just traded. At least we added Toby Hall in an attempt to rectify the L/R imbalance at one position -- catcher.

Now we badly need another right handed hitter for the bench. If we got Craig Wilson, I'd play him in LF most of the time. But he should also spell Thome for at least 20 starts against lefties. Thome was an automatic out against lefties in the second half last year.

If you don't like Wilson, then come up with a better alternative. If KW doesn't address this HUGE HOLE, I'll be very disappointed.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
If you don't like Wilson, then come up with a better alternative. If KW doesn't address this HUGE HOLE, I'll be very disappointed.

im sure K-Dub will find another steal like the sisco deal, hes great at those and im sure he knows that the bench is pretty heavy lefthanded, look for inhouse solutions (even tho i would prefer to keep them at AAA for more ABs) or a small trade that will add the necessary player

BUT THE MAIN KEY TO SUCCESS RELIES ON THE STARTING PITCHING AND THE BULLPEN, we scored plenty of runs last year (atleast compared to 05) and the pitching really let us down, we need Beurhle, Contreras, and Javy to step it up and pitch consistently (good not consistently bad), if more guys step up like Thorton in the 'pen we will be just fine