Sox need RH bench bat for LF, DH/1B

VAfan

Hmmmm. I know he's had his issues in the past, but could this guy help?

In a little more than two months in the Mexican Pacific League, Ruben Rivera has more home runs and RBIs than he had all season for Triple-A Charlotte.

The former Major Leaguer went 2-for-4 on Dec. 15 and belted his league-leading 19th homer. In 58 games with the Tomateros de Culiacan, Rivera is hitting .290 with a league-high 51 RBIs. Over a full season with the Knights, the 33-year-old outfielder batted .239 with 16 homers and 42 RBIs in 107 games.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Now we badly need another right handed hitter for the bench. If we got Craig Wilson, I'd play him in LF most of the time. But he should also spell Thome for at least 20 starts against lefties. Thome was an automatic out against lefties in the second half last year.

If you don't like Wilson, then come up with a better alternative. If KW doesn't address this HUGE HOLE, I'll be very disappointed.

I think Wilson definitely is an option. Maybe even Shannon Stewart who is also decent vs LHP.

I don't think backup 1B/DH is a problem. The infield is pretty set with Cintron, Ozuna, and Mackowiak. The outfield is where the Sox need some help. It is also possible that they will just plug Sweeney in there and he will share ABs with Pods and Anderson, and give Dye a day off every now and then. Mackowiak will also fill the corner OF positions when needed.

I think you will see guys like Uribe, Anderson, and Iguchi have a better year at the plate in 2007, and it will probably be against LHP.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
im pretty sure that some of those guys will turn out to be decent big leaguers, atleast tracey and rogowski seem to be promising, but tracey and ozzie had those fudes and we have PK and Thome ahead of Rogo, so he might not have a future with the team (i dont know how many years he has left in the minors) so i wouldnt mind seeing them traded for some prospects at positions that will be open later on, for example second base, the pirates seem to be shopping this kid around who seems to have a good future but is stuck behind freddie gonzalez, instead of dumping these guys i wouldnt mind trading a couple for guys that could actually help fill holes for us later on

Rogowski=Gload IMO.

Wilson would make a lot of sense if we could immediately dump Podsednik after inking him. Why? Wilson, Podsednik, and Mackowiak can't all be on this roster, because we're still left without a halfway decent backup centerfielder. I still think the Sox are one player shy of completing their 25-man roster, and that player should be able to play an average CF defensively along with being able to hit right-handed.

A Jason Michaels type who could actually play decent defense would be nice, although I understand those types aren't freely available.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
What about Preston Wilson? I believe he hit Lefties fairly well and has played all OF positions IIRC. He would probably command too much money though.

Wilson is pretty good vs LHP (.292 BA, .362 OBP). I wouldnt mind having him or Stewart in LF or as the primary Outfield sub.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
Twenty replies and not one addressing whether Craig Wilson would be a good fit??

Off the bench we had:

Rob Mackowiak -- hit lefties even worse than Podsednik, if that's possible

Chris Widger or Sandy Alomar -- no hitting there

Pablo Ozuna -- okay until he pulled his hammy. Then he went two months getting only 2 hits, yet never went on the DL??? Still, this no power guy is there for L/R balance??????

Alex Cintron -- as a righty hitter he is terrible.

, whom we just traded. At least we added Toby Hall in an attempt to rectify the L/R imbalance at one position -- catcher.

Now we badly need another right hand

Guess who the best bench hitter was against lefties?? Yes, Ross Gloaded hitter for the bench. If we got Craig Wilson, I'd play him in LF most of the time. But he should also spell Thome for at least 20 starts against lefties. Thome was an automatic out against lefties in the second half last year.

If you don't like Wilson, then come up with a better alternative. If KW doesn't address this HUGE HOLE, I'll be very disappointed.

I know the problem with us hitting lefties . We have outfielders Pods and Anderson and Dye. Anderson is the only true centerfielder. It was mentioned before I think by Phil Rogers about Ryan CHurch.. He bats left according to his splits he hits lefties as good as righties. He doesn't make many errors. Strikes out a few too many times but even with that he managed a 366 obp.. Has a little pop can play all three outfield positions. I didn't source it but I don't think he'd be too expensive. Could lead off and might be a good #2 hitter. Washington is under utilizing him so is there any interest?

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)

Is Willie Harris available?

QUOTE(sox-r-us' @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 03:56 AM)

I would prefer Carl Jurassic Everett

Joking aside,

Willie signed a minor league deal and is a non roster STI with the Braves. With Giles gone, he will get a look at 2B.

I haven't heard a peep about Everett since Seattle let him go in August. I wonder what he weighs. If he were in shape I'd think somebody would have already taken a chance on him.

For a platoon player who could play LF, DH occaisionally, pinch hit vs LHP, what about Kevin Mench? Very solid splits vs LHP.

For a CF/LF upgrade could Eric Byrnes be available?

Both players currently 1 year to free agent possibly dropping what you would have to give up.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
For a platoon player who could play LF, DH occaisionally, pinch hit vs LHP, what about Kevin Mench? Very solid splits vs LHP.

For a CF/LF upgrade could Eric Byrnes be available?

Both players currently 1 year to free agent possibly dropping what you would have to give up.

Kevin Mench's numbers go down a lot when he doesn't get to face Neal Cotts. And I'm only half joking.

Anyway, I'm really not certain the Brewers would want to part with that bat, considering that they actually are hoping to have a shot at winning this year. Midseason, if they're struggling he might be a lot more available.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
they need pitching in the worst way. I believe they need an established pitcher.

Not for a 4th outfielder...a sub 3.00 ERA LHSP in a hitter's park in AAA with respectable peripherals should be more than enough.

The only reason he really doesn't make sense for the Sox is that he's LH, and seeing as how I don't really care to do the research, he doesn't have nearly enough experience (100 career PA's) to determine whether or not he'll be able to continue to hit LHP at an .800 clip.

I do like Church, but with the current roster, and Ozzie's infatuation with speed at the top of the lineup, Church just doesn't make sense for the Sox right now.