Dontrelle Willis - DUI

YASNY

MIAMI -- Marlins two-time All-Star pitcher Dontrelle Willis was arrested and charged with DUI in South Beach early Friday morning, according to police reports.

The 24-year-old, who was married earlier this month, failed a field sobriety test and he refused a Breathalyzer test. The arrest occurred about 4 a.m. ET.

According to police reports, Willis drove up to a South Beach night club, got out of his black Bentley and urinated on the street. He got back into his car and was arrested on Washington Avenue close to the Mansion nightclub.

Willis spent the rest of the night in jail, and bond was set at $1,000.

As of early Friday morning, the Marlins organization had not been notified of the incident by authorities.

Marlins senior vice president of communications and broadcasting, P.J. Loyello, said the organization had no comment Friday morning.

A call to Willis' agent, California-based Matt Sosnick, was not immediately returned.

Raised in Alameda, Calif., Willis makes South Florida his home year-round.

"He couldn't keep his balance, he had a strong smell of alcohol," Miami Beach police spokesman Bobby Hernandez told the Associated Press.

The high-profile Willis is one of the rising stars in the league, and the left-hander is immensely popular.

The National League Rookie of the Year in 2003, Willis has been to two All-Star games, he's been a 20-game winner, and he represented the United States in the 2006 World Baseball Classic. He was the organization's Roberto Clemente nominee, an honor that recognizes his achievements on and off the field.

With a 58-39 career record, Willis is the Marlins' all-time leader in victories. In 2005, the lefty went 22-10 with a 2.63 ERA, pacing the Major Leagues in victories. He was 12-12 with a 3.87 ERA in 2006.

Willis is very active in the community, visiting numerous schools and representing the organization at holiday-related events.

Willis made $4.35 million in 2006 and is in line to make more than $6 million in arbitration this season.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Typically, when charging for something like DUI, the smaller things like public urination are not addressed. Not worth it. Unless the prosecutor is trying to make a point about something.

Yeah, or sometimes in the County I work in they'll take on some extra stuff just so the plea deal looks better when they drop some things.

But you're right, with DUI often things like disorderly conduct aren't charged, but the traffic stuff is usually on there, because often they use that as a basis for the stop.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
Iam curious as to what his blood alcohol level was just to see how drunk he was.Because .08 really isnt that drunk but once you start getting into the 1.5 and the 2 your an absolute idiot and should go to jail for a while.

At .08 your reaction time is slowed quite significantly. Your eyesight is diminished as well. You may not realize it, but you are much less safe at .08 than when you are sober.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
At .08 your reaction time is slowed quite significantly. Your eyesight is diminished as well. You may not realize it, but you are much less safe at .08 than when you are sober.

After years of experience ,not so much with myself but family and friends a .08 doesnt have you swirving all over the road.I will give you that it can have an effect on a milla second decision,maybe it was just the grace of God that none of my friends and family have been hurt with a couple cocktails in them.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Who?

Dr Johnny Fever, WKRP in Cincinati. He and Venus Flytrap were doing an on-air drinking test for the police testing thier reaction times. He was super-slow when sober and fast as lightning when sloshed. The tester was getting pissed at him because they were supposed to be showing how alcohol slowed your responses, and his was getting better.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 07:16 AM)
After years of experience ,not so much with myself but family and friends a .08 doesnt have you swirving all over the road.I will give you that it can have an effect on a milla second decision,maybe it was just the grace of God that none of my friends and family have been hurt with a couple cocktails in them.

Do you guys carry a breathalyzer with you out to the bar?

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 07:16 AM)

a "couple cocktails" during a few hour event will not cause a .08 unless you are Kate Moss and haven't eaten all day. To blow worse than .08, as a general guideline (there is no hard and fast rule), you need to be averaging 1.5 drinks per hour or more, as I recall.

So, in a 4 hour evening gathering, you'd need to have 6 drinks to be .08. That, I guarantee you, slows your reaction time and reflexes.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
If breathalyzers were cheaper, I think most (if not all) would bring them out to the bars with them.

It would be pretty cool for bars to have them. Some idiot might use it as a challenge, but more people might be convinced to take a cab home.

But, since bars have no direct liability for DUI's leaving their bar, there is no motivation to spend the money. If some locality or state though, made a connection with liquor licensure and regular, habitual DUI problems (i.e. not renewing the licenses for "problem" bars), that might change.