2007 Chicago White Sox Prospects Ratings

RME JICO

This list shows how thin the system has become. I thought the grades were slightly on the low side.

2007 Chicago White Sox Prospects

1. Ryan Sweeney, OF, Grade B (great swing but I still doubt his power)

2. Gio Gonzalez, LHP, Grade B (control and consistency were issues in Double-A)

3. Josh Fields, 3B, B (developing his tools, but still strikes out a lot)

4. Lance Broadway, RHP, B- (polished but not a lot of upside)

5. Charlie Haeger, RHP, B- (knuckleballer is hard to predict, could turn into anything)

6. Aaron Cunningham, OF, B- (good tools, skills are advancing)

7. Kyle McCulloch, RHP, B- (polished but not a lot of upside)

8. Chris Carter, 1B, C+ (impressive raw power but will need time)

9. Matt Long, RHP, C+ (throws hard but secondary stuff is shaky, numbers horrible)

10. Boone Logan, LHP, C+ (should be a good LOOGY, not a good sign that he's rated this high)

You can read the rest here:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/

i think he missed the boat on Logans grade a lil bit, and Phillips and Perez should been in the top 20(15ish). i also think fields grade is a low, yes he strikes out a ton, but he also draws the walk. i was really impressed that he drew 5 walks to 8 strike outs at the ML lvl.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
2007 Chicago White Sox Prospects

1.John Danks

2.Ryan Sweeney

3.Gio Gonzalez

4.Lance Broadway

5.Charlie Haeger

6.Gavin Floyd

7.Josh Fields

8.Nick Masset

9.Andy Sisco

10.Kyle McCulloch

That list looks much better than the original.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Sure does. The farm has some major holes, but we have some legit talent in the AAA and AA levels.

This looks to be the "Off-season of upside"

agreed, i like your tag line :cheers

People forget that Floyd has shown major league success at one point in time or another, much like Brandon has. We are all forgetting about Brandon's unimpressive 06 campaign and relying on some great starts he made with the Sox down the stretch in 05 (a couple darn good ones) but must we forget that Floyd too had some darn good starts when he first came up at the major league level and than he too had a rather unimpressive first full year in the majors (albeit unlike Brandon, Floyd was in the rotation and I do think pitching out of the pen hurt Brandon). Still, Brandon is very much still considered a prospect, he just happens to be a major league ready one.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 01:06 AM)
People forget that Floyd has shown major league success at one point in time or another, much like Brandon has...Still, Brandon is very much still considered a prospect, he just happens to be a major league ready one.

McCarthy's ERA in 151 innings in the bigs is 4.39, Floyd is 6.96 in 108 innings. And McCarthy outperformed Floyd at every level of the minors. I just don't see what's impressive about Floyd other than being a high draft pick. What makes people optimistic about Floyd? I just don't get it.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
McCarthy's ERA in 151 innings in the bigs is 4.39, Floyd is 6.96 in 108 innings. And McCarthy outperformed Floyd at every level of the minors. I just don't see what's impressive about Floyd other than being a high draft pick. What makes people optimistic about Floyd? I just don't get it.

I don't know if I'm "optimistic," but Kenny and his people scout these guys extensively before he goes after them. It's not like Kenny woke up one day and said "Yeah, let's just trade for this guy and see what happens." They obviously feel they see something he's doing wrong and feel like they can fix it. It's worked with guys like Jose Contreras and Matt Thornton. So who knows...

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
I don't know if I'm "optimistic," but Kenny and his people scout these guys extensively before he goes after them. It's not like Kenny woke up one day and said "Yeah, let's just trade for this guy and see what happens." They obviously feel they see something he's doing wrong and feel like they can fix it. It's worked with guys like Jose Contreras and Matt Thornton. So who knows...

I know they probably scouted him extensively. I'm not accusing the Sox frot-office of doing a half-assed job. Given their level of baseball expertise and mine, they have a better chance of beeing right than I do.

But, just from the numbers, Floyd doesn't look like he's going to be a major league pitcher. The thing that's alarming is that his minor league numbers aren't even good.

I don't know how the Sox scouting is set up, but they've done a terrible job drafting for several years now. So it's not like the Sox haven't been wrong about players before.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 03:25 AM)
I know they probably scouted him extensively. I'm not accusing the Sox frot-office of doing a half-assed job. Given their level of baseball expertise and mine, they have a better chance of beeing right than I do.

But, just from the numbers, Floyd doesn't look like he's going to be a major league pitcher. The thing that's alarming is that his minor league numbers aren't even good.

I don't know how the Sox scouting is set up, but they've done a terrible job drafting for several years now. So it's not like the Sox haven't been wrong about players before.

Much like Thorten and Jenks, the talent was always there, but unable to harness for one reason or another. It's been said that Floyd has been too mechanical in his delviery, and is now just starting to let it go a little bit. He's always had good stuff, but sometimes its just giving them the confidence to trust their stuff, and be aggressive on the mound. He's 23, so I wouldn't write him off yet. He's been compared by the Phillies to Garland, both stuff wise and being a late bloomer.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two 23 year olds that probably will start the year in AAA. I disagree.

Not that your post matters whatsoever, but Sisco and Floyd were no longer prospects after being in the majors for as long as they both have. All publications, including futuresox should not and will not include either of these two in 2007 White Sox top prospect lists.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)

It bothers me when people just look at the numbers. There is so much more to evaluating young pitchers, that if you give up on guys, just because they start out rough, you are really missing out on quality players. Look at some of these guys early years, and tell me how you would have felt about their early numbers...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/maddugr01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/glavito02.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/smoltjo01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/bondeje01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/santajo02.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/radkebr01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/contrjo01.shtml

I could keep going, but you get the point. Sometimes the numbers are just that... numbers.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 02:45 AM)
Not that your post matters whatsoever, but Sisco and Floyd were no longer prospects after being in the majors for as long as they both have. All publications, including futuresox should not and will not include either of these two in 2007 White Sox top prospect lists.

Agreed 100%