McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
And let's remember - in 2005, our 5th starter slot was a near-6 ERA hole most of the year with El Duque. So the fears expressed about white flagging it are pretty ridiculous. This organization has gotten a lot stronger in the young pitching department in the last month, and we still look good for 2007.

this is a good point. how many teams out there are unsure about the #5 spot in the rotation? this is not an uncommon state for a team to be in.

the problem in 2004 was we didnt have worthwhile candidates. right now we have a lot to choose from.

which is the bigger problem: having no 2007 #5, or having a weak farm system? solve the latter, and you can increase your leverage for trading at the deadline for the former (or better than #5 starter)

or one of the young ones steps up quickly, like Brandon did, but maybe better.

Edited by Princess Dye

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
By the way, I think this elusive "inside information" about McCarthy which has been mentioned in this thread is dubious at best. It sounds like spin to me. Whispers about poor work ethic, attitude, etc. surround many, many players. They typically get thrown around a lot more after a trade. Whenever an organiztion trades away a popular player, we always hear a lot more about how he really was a bad seed. I call BS.

I know you are new, and you pretty much post for only a couple of reasons, and the main one is to try to piss people off, but maybe if you shut up for a while, and pay attention you would learn a little something. This board has been around for over 4 years now, and if you had asked, instead of assuming, based on your own ego, you would know that there are people on this board, who have access to information on a regular basis, that the rest of us can only dream about. Assuming it is wrong, just because you don't have first hand access to it, is just ignorant on your behalf, but at the sametime, it isn't really surprising here, just knowing your posts... Just open your mind a little bit, and you might learn something about the resources you have right in front of your closed eyes.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 08:05 AM)
I finally got over here and I am LMAO. Fans of both teams hate this trade. All of my Ranger fans think the Rangers got majorly hosed on this deal. They want the GM strung up like Christmas lights.

Prospects are prospects in my book. I've watched waaaay to many not pan out. (where is big Jon Rauch?) I like B-Mac more because he posted here, but as a pitcher, I'll take a couple extra top to near top prospects for one top prospect.

You're the second guy in this thread to dis Jon Rauch as if he was a complete bust. He isn't a super star but is maturing into a good Major League pitcher. Jon was second in the National League with 85 appearances last year, throwing 91.3 innings with an ERA of 3.35. He went 4-5 on a team that lost 91 games. The National's GM Bowden has been talking about adding him to the rotation for 2007 but will leave it up to new manager Manny Acta.

Rauch was traded along with Gary Majewski (now with Cincinnatti) for Carl Everett in 2004.

While I can't comment on the above poster and his motives, I can agree that the trashing will begin shortly. It always does. And IMHO it occurs by fans of every team.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
You're the second guy in this thread to dis Jon Rauch as if he was a complete bust. He isn't a super star but is maturing into a good Major League pitcher. Jon was second in the National League with 85 appearances last year, throwing 91.3 innings with an ERA of 3.35. He went 4-5 on a team that lost 91 games. The National's GM Bowden has been talking about adding him to the rotation for 2007 but will leave it up to new manager Manny Acta.

Rauch was traded along with Gary Majewski (now with Cincinnatti) for Carl Everett in 2004.

He headlined a group of talented young pitchers that caused more than one national publication to call ours the best minor league system for young pitchers. I don't mean to dis Jon, but many had him as the second coming of Cy Young. He is also around here an icon of someone who "couldn't miss". While he is emerging as a good pitcher, he isn't something we couldn't live without. The difference between a Roger Clemens and a AAAA is razor thin, and can't be predicted with any certainty. So trading prospects isn't as earth shattering to me anymore.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
I know you are new, and you pretty much post for only a couple of reasons, and the main one is to try to piss people off, but maybe if you shut up for a while, and pay attention you would learn a little something. This board has been around for over 4 years now, and if you had asked, instead of assuming, based on your own ego, you would know that there are people on this board, who have access to information on a regular basis, that the rest of us can only dream about. Assuming it is wrong, just because you don't have first hand access to it, is just ignorant on your behalf, but at the sametime, it isn't really surprising here, just knowing your posts... Just open your mind a little bit, and you might learn something about the resources you have right in front of your closed eyes.

Or, perhaps you are giving some of the people here who claim to have "inside knowledge" too much credit.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
Or, perhaps you are giving some of the people here who claim to have "inside knowledge" too much credit.

You don't know what you're talking about and just because you don't have access to it does not mean it can't be true.

So please, take a few moments and realize that just because it isn't being sauntered about in front of your face that it just might still be true.

And oh yes, is everybody else off the ledge from last night with the projections that we're going to be worse than the Royals with the loss of McCarthy? Cuz damn, that got really old and really lame really, really fast.

Soxtalk.com, fitting their own familiar mediocre players for HOF busts since 2004.

Perhaps you are giving too little credit to the White Sox, who recognize that these message boards (not just soxtalk, there are a couple others) are an important marketing tool, and the people who run this board.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)

:headbang Plushie Patrol!!

The people here who have real "inside knowledge" get the credit they derserve.

Because they have been honest, candid and accurate.

They have not been posturing, negative reactionists.

This whole "sources" deal is getting my last nerve.

Seriously.

Form your own opinion & believe what you want to.

It is common knowledge that Sox players whether they be minor or at one point on the roster, have posted here. Put it together kids.

EDIT: Please, just let this "sources" deal die and continue debating whether this was a good move or not.

I LOVE this trade. Two good pitchers for one? How can you pass that up??!! I really like what Williams has done with pitching this offseason. He's acquired ALOT of good arms.

The battle for the 5th spot is going to be interesting:

Danks

Masset

Floyd

Haeger

Broadway

I'm sure there are more deals in the future. Crawford or Badelli??

Kudos to Kenny

To all those naysayers: Kenny just decreased his risk 2 for 1 and opened the door for more trade possibilities to improve over Anderson and/or Podsednik. He and his scouts know what they are doing. Stick to your job and just WATCH.

Last time we made a big trade with Texas it turned out pretty well

"Midway through the 1989 season, the Texas Rangers acquired Baines, along with Fred Manrique, from the White Sox in a much-derided trade which sent Wilson Alvarez, Scott Fletcher, and Sammy Sosa to Chicago."

Don't forget we traded that Sosa guy for a big time slugger named George Bell. :P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
Yep...I may have Rainbow 6 pretty soon. Right now I just have an Xbox Live free month of gold but hopefully by Christmas that will change :)

It should, I hear you are rolling in dollar bills. Literally...

Common now that's not right. :crying

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
It isn't about not trusting Jason. He hasn't even said what the information is, much less whether it is believable/credible.

I just said with what I've heard it makes sense why we'd consider moving him. That is all, I'm not saying anything about whether people need to like the trade or anything like that. Please leave that up to yourself, thats why we have this place so everyone can have there own opinion and be willing to share it.

And even if there is a reason to move a guy (and I'm not saying that in fact there was good reason or not cause again it depends on how people would feel about the situation) that doesn't necessarily mean we got the right package or right deal (I happen to like the deal from the perspective that we decided to deal Brandon I think we got some very good arms for him).

That said I think Brandon had a chance to be a very special pitcher in our organization and there is no denying he'll be missed and no denying that this was a very very risky move made by Ken Williams. Maybe not as risky as the Bulls Brand for Chandler deal (Since Brand was a bit more of a proven commodity, yet no one knew he'd turn into a super star) but I guess you could see this in a similar light (although I hate comparing Brand, the #1 pick in a draft for a sport where #1 picks start immediately most of the time and where top picks are a lot more likely to make at least some sort of impact).

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
You don't know what you're talking about and just because you don't have access to it does not mean it can't be true.

So please, take a few moments and realize that just because it isn't being sauntered about in front of your face that it just might still be true.

And oh yes, is everybody else off the ledge from last night with the projections that we're going to be worse than the Royals with the loss of McCarthy? Cuz damn, that got really old and really lame really, really fast.

Soxtalk.com, fitting their own familiar mediocre players for HOF busts since 2004.

Sorry if I don't blindly trust the "inside information" from people posting on an internet forum. From time to time, people like to puff out their chests and pretend that their insiders when they're not. This behavior isn't exclusive to internet forums. And the next time you call me out like this, we'll exchange phone numbers and arrange a meeting......

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
Sorry if I don't blindly trust the "inside information" from people posting on an internet forum. From time to time, people like to puff out their chests and pretend that their insiders when they're not. This behavior isn't exclusive to internet forums. And the next time you call me out like this, we'll exchange phone numbers and arrange a meeting......

Hahaha, talk about puffing one's chest out.

Irony thy name is MSHAWKS.

And unfortunately I can't give you my number and arrange a meeting because I'm not interested in guys. Sorry.

i may be on the other side of the argument -- but you cant blame anyone for discounting inside information given on a message board.

for all anyone knows, everyone is making stuff up 24-7 on these boards. that mystery aspect also leads to good things... a sort of democracy in a way...which makes boarding worthwhile.

i mean if i wanted to knowingly talk to Mr. Levine all the time, i'd wait for him outside his house and try to start talking to him. which i do . . .

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I swear, it sounds like he really wants a date...and that is kinda creepy. Perhaps it is another form of "insider information" that we're getting.

I kid because I care ™.

And I do believe with this humor, this thread has been sufficiently hijacked. /crosses fingers.