Some thoughts on the trades so far

rowand's rowdies

A lot of people here are being negative, just as they were when Lee was traded for Pods and Viz, when we signed AJ, traded for Thome (sorry Arow, still a good trade for us, you'll be back after next season), ect.

I hate to say it but a lot of people on this board wouldn't have anything to say if they weren't b****ing about something. We are acting too much like Philly or New York fans guys, come on.

I want you to consider some things about these moves.

With mediocre pitching going for obscene amounts, what happens when Buehrle leaves, they buy out Vaz, and Contreras retires? Anybody? Sign pitchers like Lilly, Padilla, and Marquis for $12 million a year long term? How will we go out and replace JD, AJ, Pods, Iguchi, and Crede? Or how will we be able to resign them? Anyone have an answer?

Ok, anyone have a REAL answer that would work? Well that's why we're not the GM of this team. KW knows that in this age of free agency. you need to have home grown pitching so that you can (A) go out and sign position players to replace the ones that leave and (B) trade the young pitchers for replacement position players/pitchers (Thome, MacDougal, ect).

1st lets look at the Garcia trade. But first, I want everyone who moaned about Freddy's ability to hold runners on AT ALL who also moaned about this trade to slap themselves. We got back Gio (who a year ago was a huge loss to us as an org when we traded him for Rowand) and a potential long term starter in FLoyd who hopefully will improve after leaving Philly and getting a 2nd chance with a good pitching coach. Garcia is a FA after this year and will demand 12-13 mil a year with a good season (good, not great). He can't hold on runners, is losing velocity, is moving past his prime, and shows discontent with his teamates after a mistake. My thought is that this trade was a good trade based on possible return. It may not work out, but the upside could be big.

The other small moves by Kenny have been solid, everyone pretty much agrees. Pods sucks, and we pretty much all agree. But at the prices of a Pierre and MAtthews, Jr, we can deal with Pods for 3 mil 1 yr.

Now the much hated McCarthy trade. I like McCarthy about as much as anyone else. I will miss him and I really hope he does do well. Texas is not a threat to us or any other AL team as far as I'm concerned. Not yet. Although I would have rather gotten Michael Young, I can deal with Danks and Masset. And yes, I do not know much about them. What I do know is that they both have tremendous upside. Would I rather have seen Baldelli or Crawford for him? Yes, but I have a feeling KW would have done it if it was possible. We trade a young pitcher whos arbitration clock is running, whose ceiling is prolly a good #2, for a pitcher who still hasen't started, is left handed and has a similair ceiling. Anyone tell me who will be our LH starting pitcher without Buehrle? Anyone? Also, we get a flamethrower who can be great in the bullpen.

My point I guess is that KW is building our pitching depth with the thought process more is better. The more pitching prospects, the more who will turn out well, the less overpaid free agents we will have to sign.

So, relax, have a good Christmas and New Years, and :gosox1:

As long as the Sox keep the payroll in the 100 million ballpark, I'll trust KW to make the moves he feels will help the team win. I will not accept going cheap unless the Sox are just totally rebuilding after a few more championship runs. So far, the Sox do not appear to be having a fire sale. KW has earned some benefit of the doubt from me when evaluating pitching talent from other organizations. Also, KW is not necessarily done dealing this offseason. I'm looking forward to seeing these arms in spring training.

Texas is, to my eyes, now officially a major threat to win the American League the next 2 years. I essentially disagree with every single reason given for accepting the McCarthy deal in this post.

I can live with the Garcia deal. It makes sense. The McCarthy deal does not.

Who will be our Left handed starter? We have 2 candidates in Gio and Philipps hanging out at AAA already.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
I think this also shows how much the Sox like Haeger and believe in what he can give the sox in 2007.

Then deal one of the other starting pitchers who hit Free Agency after 2007-2008 at a much higher cost. Don't deal the one who hits Free Agency in 2011.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
I have absolutely no problem with this trade if and only if KW acquires a LF, CF and SS. As of right now, we have none of these. We all wanted Pods gone, BA has proven he can't hit in the bigs and Uribe had two good weeks last year.

He proved he can't hit in the bigs? That .250+ mark in the second half of the season sure proved that. I'm sure no one else on our team ever had issues their first year.

It's pretty damn clear that KW is comfortable with BA in CF.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
It's pretty damn clear that KW is comfortable with BA in CF.

I thought it was pretty damn clear than KW was comfortable with McCarthy in the rotation when he traded Freddy Garcia to make room for him.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
Then deal one of the other starting pitchers who hit Free Agency after 2007-2008 at a much higher cost. Don't deal the one who hits Free Agency in 2011.

Those pitchers wouldn't give the sox the top arms like Danks and Masset.

If KW and Co. thinks that one of Haeger/ Floyd/ Danks will give the sox similar numbers that BMac would in 2007, why not acquire someone like Danks who has a higher ceiling than BMac, who is more likely to outperform him over a career? Not to mention that Masset sounds like the type of bullpen arm that teams would kill for, ala Jonathan Broxton from the Dodgers.

I believe the organization likes Haegar more than McCarthy. Think about facing Haegar and then any of six guys that throw 95+ out of the pen. At the start of the winter OG stated that he wanted 6 guys that could close. Well he has them.

I also believe there is a major deal coming up for a couple of young pithcers (ie Danks and Broadway for Crawford).

QUOTE(JERMAINEDYE4MVP @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
BOOLSHEET.

ONE THING I LIKE ABOUT HAVING 2 TEAMS IS THAT WHEN ONE OF THEM SUX, THE OTHER USUALLY DOES NOT.. SO..

GOOD NIGHT WHITE SOX...

GOOD MORNING CUBS!

stonedkitty.jpg

Surely you can't be serious....

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
I believe the organization likes Haegar more than McCarthy. Think about facing Haegar and then any of six guys that throw 95+ out of the pen. At the start of the winter OG stated that he wanted 6 guys that could close. Well he has them.

IMO, it's not that the sox like one guy more than the other. First, they must like what Danks and Masset can give the sox more than BMac can. But I agree the sox must like Haeger more than they are letting on. The sox must feel pretty confident that Haeger or Floyd can give them what Bmac can next yr.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)

I also believe there is a major deal coming up for a couple of young pithcers (ie Danks and Broadway for Crawford).

Any deal involving any positional player shouldn't even be under consideration. A reasonable person can't possibly trade McCarthy, Broadway, Danks within one offseason at the risk of abandoning pitching depth. Screw Crawford. Everyone should forget about him. He won't help us much when the various starters within our rotation begin to leave. Since our organization has shown a reluctance to sign pitchers to long term deals, it makes more sense to stockup on that division of the system.

Anyways, knowing how Williams has operated, it'll probably be Danks/Broadway/Gonzalez for Crawford. That's far too much of our future for someone who represents 1/9 of a lineup. I realize his potential, but Jesus, how much are we willing to sacrifice for him?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
Those pitchers wouldn't give the sox the top arms like Danks and Masset.

I can not believe that Mark Buehrle, one of the best starting arms in baseball the last 5 years, and a lefty to boot, could not bring a similar return to what we got in this deal. It's certainly not like anyone will say we raked Texas over the coals here with the deal we got.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)
Is this clown banned yet?

Hell, even given the state of the NL, the White Sox should still be better than the Cubs next year unless all 4 starters blow their arms out through, um, with no more details because this is a family site let's say, enjoyment of the offseason. Spending $300+ million in one of the worst offseasons to spend Free Agent money this decade does not a winning team make.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
Any deal involving any positional player shouldn't even be under consideration. A reasonable person can't possibly trade McCarthy, Broadway, Danks within one offseason at the risk of abandoning pitching depth. Screw Crawford. Everyone should forget about him. He won't help us much when the various starters within our rotation begin to leave. Since our organization has shown a reluctance to sign pitchers to long term deals, it makes more sense to stockup on that division of the system.

Anyways, knowing how Williams has operated, it'll probably be Danks/Broadway/Gonzalez for Crawford. That's far too much of our future for someone who represents 1/9 of a lineup. I realize his potential, but Jesus, how much are we willing to sacrifice for him?

Weren't Garland, Garcia, Buerhle, and Contreras all signed to long term deals rather than letting them hit free agency?

QUOTE(JERMAINEDYE4MVP @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 12:45 AM)
BOOLSHEET.

ONE THING I LIKE ABOUT HAVING 2 TEAMS IS THAT WHEN ONE OF THEM SUX, THE OTHER USUALLY DOES NOT.. SO..

GOOD NIGHT WHITE SOX...

GOOD MORNING CUBS!

come on smell the cofee, the SOX ARE FAR AND AWAY THE BETTER TEAM- NOT EVEN CLOSE.

The cubs havent done anything to really improve themselves.

Dont drink the Cubs Kool aid.

The sox are gonna win it all in 07.

Our achiles heel was the bullpen, now its solid- Aardsma, Floyd, Sisco, the new guy from texas.

No question we rule chicago.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
Weren't Garland, Garcia, Buerhle, and Contreras all signed to long term deals rather than letting them hit free agency?

"Long term" to me is not 3 years. Long term would be for several more years than that. Signing Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland, and Garcia to long-term deals had 2 of them hitting Free Agency after 2007 and 2 of them after 2008 (and Contreras after 2009).

Jerry Reinsdorf does not like signing pitchers to more than 3 year deals, so therefore, he does not like signing pitchers to "long term" deals based on the newly established Gil Meche, AJ Burnett, and soon to be Barry Zito standard of 5-6 years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
I can not believe that Mark Buehrle, one of the best starting arms in baseball the last 5 years, and a lefty to boot, could not bring a similar return to what we got in this deal. It's certainly not like anyone will say we raked Texas over the coals here with the deal we got.

Weathered lefties with below average stuff who are a year away from hitting a FA market that might make him 15 million per year don't bring what they used to.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Weathered lefties with below average stuff who are a year away from hitting a FA market that might make him 15 million per year don't bring what they used to.

What were the A's asking for Zito at the Trade Deadline last year, for 1/2 a season? That is all I have to say about that.

Who thinks the Knights team is going to bring it next year. :P

Seriously, are pen is stacked, with not even enough room for all. Our rotation can look very good in a year, two years. With our offense, if our starters can hold them for 5 or 6 innings... We have the talent to shut down teams almost every night!

Edited by SEALgep