Rangers fan here on McCarthy trade

Rangers

I don't know if you guys could find scouting reports on Danks and Masset but I'll do my best to tell you guys what I know about them (I know alot more about Danks than Masset) in hopes I can find out some more information on McCarthy from you guys as all the sites I have check provide relatively weak scouting reports.

Danks-Rangers best prospect and seems to of had the best shot of any Ranger pitching prospect to atleast be a solid #3 pitcher, with a chance to be a very good #2 or a decent #1. Alot of you may think that by me saying he doesn't have true ace potential means I think lower of him than some reports. Well I think there are only about 10-15 true aces in baseball today and I don't think that he will be in that upper echolon. To me though, this guy is as safe a bet to be atleast a solid #3 as the Rangers have ever had. Unfourtanately that isn't saying to much. Wow it hurts losing this guy. Drafted in 2003 out of high school and has been young at just about all of his minor league stops. At just about every stop he struggled at first, got things figured out and then dominated the league. Finally in AAA he pitched decent until his last 6 starts had an ERA in the low 2's giving up just one HR over that span. Oh and he was the youngest player in the league. He throws a good fastball which he commands well, sitting in the low 90's, touching 94. He throws what was the best curve in the Rangers organization and it was his best pitch early on and most likely still is. The thing that has set him apart from early in his career is the changeup he has developed, which is regarded as a plus pitch, and really helps him against RH hitters. Makeup is one of this guys best assests. He does what it takes to improve. For stretches in his minor league career he was not allowed to use his curveball in hopes he would develop his change, which he did. Because of this his numbers may not look as impressive as they could of. The guy won't turn 22 until next season and has already acomplished a great deal of improvement as a starter.

Masset-I don't know near as much about him. I liked him and always thought of him as a starter, and still do. He has either 4 or 5 pitches which is why I think he should start. He throws mid 90's and I think he is ready for the pen right now and maybe be able to start next year.

Any Socks fan's perspectives on McCarthy would be apprieciated.

BMac is a gem the White Sox found in the 19th round of the draft a few years back.

BMac features 4 pitches, a low 90's fastball, big sweeping curve ball, a 2 seam fastball he was working on last year, and a circle change, which, if it is working, is by far his best pitch.

BMac has a good health history so far, but does have a bit of a long, lanky frame. It gives him a good chance to have an excellent 2 seamer, because he can really get on top of it well, but it also has had everyone here cheering every offseason when a report comes through of him adding on 10 pounds.

BMac is a very smart pitcher, and knows very well how to work hitters. This is probably his biggest asset to my eyes, he does an excellent job of keeping people off balance, working inside and outside, setting hitters up and putting them away.

His changeup is his key pitch. His fastball is ok, but on its own it won't beat anyone. His curveball can work really well, but I think it's been his most inconsistent pitch as well, sometimes he just doesn't get the big break it needs to be effective. His changeup though, if he's throwing strikes, is just murder. It starts off looking like a fastball coming out of a very quick delivery, but then just buries itself down and in to lefties or down and away from righties. On a good day it can break as much as his curve ball, it's a beautiful pitch when it's working.

Brandon has the potential in him to be a #1 starter for some team if evertyhing works out. The concern with Brandon is last season; Ozzie and KW spent the season dicking around with BMac in the bullpen, so he was not able to get nearly as many innings as he should, and their use of him was very inconsistent, so he struggled to get into a rhythm. Down the stretch in 2005 though he was absolutely dominant. Shut down Texas and Boston in 2 straight games for 15 scoreless innings, went pitch for pitch with Johan Santana for 8 innings, and was a real key to the Sox finishing out the regular season. The Bottom for BMac if he's healthy is going to be a solid #3 starter who can eat a lot of innings, and the sky is probably the limit beyond that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
BMac is a gem the White Sox found in the 19th round of the draft a few years back.

BMac features 4 pitches, a low 90's fastball, big sweeping curve ball, a 2 seam fastball he was working on last year, and a circle change, which, if it is working, is by far his best pitch.

BMac has a good health history so far, but does have a bit of a long, lanky frame. It gives him a good chance to have an excellent 2 seamer, because he can really get on top of it well, but it also has had everyone here cheering every offseason when a report comes through of him adding on 10 pounds.

BMac is a very smart pitcher, and knows very well how to work hitters. This is probably his biggest asset to my eyes, he does an excellent job of keeping people off balance, working inside and outside, setting hitters up and putting them away.

His changeup is his key pitch. His fastball is ok, but on its own it won't beat anyone. His curveball can work really well, but I think it's been his most inconsistent pitch as well, sometimes he just doesn't get the big break it needs to be effective. His changeup though, if he's throwing strikes, is just murder. It starts off looking like a fastball coming out of a very quick delivery, but then just buries itself down and in to lefties or down and away from righties. On a good day it can break as much as his curve ball, it's a beautiful pitch when it's working.

Brandon has the potential in him to be a #1 starter for some team if evertyhing works out. The concern with Brandon is last season; Ozzie and KW spent the season dicking around with BMac in the bullpen, so he was not able to get nearly as many innings as he should, and their use of him was very inconsistent, so he struggled to get into a rhythm. Down the stretch in 2005 though he was absolutely dominant. Shut down Texas and Boston in 2 straight games for 15 scoreless innings, went pitch for pitch with Johan Santana for 8 innings, and was a real key to the Sox finishing out the regular season. The Bottom for BMac if he's healthy is going to be a solid #3 starter who can eat a lot of innings, and the sky is probably the limit beyond that.

Balta's perspective is the positive one. Others, like myself, believe him to be a fair pitching prospect with a ceiling of #3 who might be a number two but is not an Ace. He'll give up a lot of homeruns because that's what he's always done, and that's his achilles heel so far in his career.

On personal notes, he has a teddy bear that he lugs around everywhere. You're likely to hear him yukking it up on the radio about it. And he does a lot of interviews.

Personally, I think the Rangers got hosed.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
Balta's perspective is the positive one. Others, like myself, believe him to be a fair pitching prospect with a ceiling of #3 who might be a number two but is not an Ace. He'll give up a lot of homeruns because that's what he's always done, and that's his achilles heel so far in his career.

On personal notes, he has a teddy bear that he lugs around everywhere. You're likely to hear him yukking it up on the radio about it. And he does a lot of interviews.

Personally, I think the Rangers got hosed.

I'll just add that while the longball concerns aren't unfounded but in my eyes, this type of scouting report emphsizes a narrow conception of stuff. McCarthy's fastball is nothing to write home about but he does throw two plus pitches and his control is impeccable. BMac's repatoire might not be particularly sexy but in my opinion rates of 7 Ks per 9 IP in the majors and 10 K/9 in the minors belie the claim that his ceiling is that of a number three pitcher.

If Danks is probably going to be a number 3 ,this wasnt a good trade in my eyes.But i think he has a good chance to be an ace considering he is a hard throwing lefty with a good change.Sounds alot like a Santana-Liriano kind of talent.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Danks supposedly has a better curve, fastball, and his best pitch is his changeup, im pretty happy about that.

Intruiging. Is that based on a scouting report that compares the two or grading of the pitches? I certainly don't doubt that Danks fastball is a better pitch. Is the fact that his change is his best pitch supposed to indicate it's better than BMac's change or not? I've seen some indications that the scouting community might favor Danks (I think he outranked BMac's peak ranking on BA's top 100 prospects list last year) so it wouldn't shock me. I guess some of my resistance there is that I have learned to approach BA's scouting reports with some skepticism over the years. I'd be interested to see a link to anything you're referring to though.

Edited by Jeremy

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 07:31 AM)
I've seen some indications that the scouting community might favor Danks (I think he outranked BMac's peak ranking on BA's top 100 prospects list last year) so it wouldn't shock me. I guess some of my resistance there is that I have learned to approach BA's scouting reports with some skepticism over the years. I'd be interested to see a link to anything you're referring to though.

McCarthy was ranked higher:

Danks - 59th in 2006 and 2005

McCarthy - 49th in 2005

Here are some other rankings:

Garcia deal:

Gonzalez - 73rd in 2006

Floyd - 35th in 2005, 23rd in 2004, 9th in 2003, 56th in 2002

Gload deal:

Sisco - 77th in 2004, 53rd in 2003

Just for reference - Houston prospects to COL for Jennings:

Hirsh - 52nd in 2006

Buchholz -50th in 2004, 88th in 2003

Other Sox pitchers:

MacDougal - 79th in 2001

Jenks - 24th in 2006, 62nd in 2004, 60th in 2003, 74th in 2002

Vazquez - 83rd in 1998

Garland - 32nd in 2000

Positional Players

Konerko - 2nd in 1998, 11th in 1997, 42nd 1996, 38th in 1995

Thome - 51st in 1992, 93rd in 1991

Iguchi - 96th in 2005

Uribe - 94th in 2001

Crede - 94th in 2002, 36th in 2001, 96th in 2000

Dye - 30th in 1996, 88th in 1995

Anderson - 51st in 2006, 37th in 2005

Cintron - 62nd in 2001

Ozuna - 62nd in 2000, 8th in 1999

Sweeney - 92nd in 2006, 42nd in 2005

Fields - 95th in 2005

Link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...ures/26983.html

I don't know about other Sox fans, but I would have to compare McCarthy's pitching style to Greg Maddux or Jack McDowell. Neither one of them had dominating stuff but they had good stuff and great pitching instincts.

The fact that the Sox did a 2 for 1 trade, I have to give them the advantage of this trade.

Both teams have solid 3's. The Sox a have a potential 2.

The Sox also got a guy for the pen this year who is a possible closer in exchange for the premise that BM can start right now where Danks is slotted for 2007.

All three guys need to make the transition to the MLB level now. Despite the fact that BM did have a couple of glimmers he has had some rough spots which BM's fans will gloss over. He was creamed coming out of the pen last year and Tampa hit him good in a spot start. He was used very irratically by Guillen out of the pen so last year was a waste to him although he did learn he needs to make quality pitchers every time he throws the ball. His mistakes are not missed.

My personal thoughts are that the Sox want to start someone other than McCarhty this season. The Chicago press have him rated pretty highly. The organization I feel wanted to avoid a PR mess in April by going through it now. The madia here believe prospects are only good for the independent leagues.

For 2006 Texas got what hey needed therefore right now they will appear to have the upper hand. Going forward it will depend on how Masseret pans out.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(05 Sox R1 @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
I like the deal. McCarthy would have gotten lit up too much in Coors Field East (Comiskey).

It's actually a pretty neutral park - it's just a great park for home runs. Very small field = not many XBHs.

There is a strong possibility he will get lit up in Texas. He should be a pretty solid pitcher regardless...very likely around league average.

I like BMac, but he's going to be inconsistent as a starter. If his change and curve aren't working, he's going to get destroyed. If they are, the opposition pretty much stands no chance unless he leaves something up. As Balta pointed out, he has a great change when it's working, and his curveball just falls off the table. He has a tendency to leave pitches up, which is by far his biggest problem.

From everything I've heard of Danks, he's very similar to Gio. And Masset sounds quite similar to Jenks without the pins in his elbow.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 18, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
I like BMac, but he's going to be inconsistent as a starter. If his change and curve aren't working, he's going to get destroyed.

And those pitches will be much more consistant as a starting pitcher, in a role he's familiar with. Texas or not, Brandon is going to be a very good starting pitcher, starting this season. Just watch.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 19, 2007 -> 01:52 AM)
And those pitches will be much more consistant as a starting pitcher, in a role he's familiar with. Texas or not, Brandon is going to be a very good starting pitcher, starting this season. Just watch.

It probably will allow for more consistency, but the problems are still present. He'll give up the long ball from time to time, but with Texas offense and timely pitching, maybe it won't hurt him too bad.