Anybody ever beat a ticket on a technicality?

santo=dorf

I was an idiot the other day and took the wrong route to a bar. I ended up in one of those BS safety check road blocks and got hit with a $75 fine for not having a front plate installed. (I have an insert.)

I was getting ready to pay the ticket online today when I noticed the Cop wrote my court date as 02/01/06 My lawyer dad doesn't think it's strong enough to pass, but I'm going to ask my cop buddy about this.

I've heard of people beating tickets because their name or SSN was wrong, and recall reading something about dates being incorrect.

Any good stories or advice?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:48 AM)
I was an idiot the other day and took the wrong route to a bar. I ended up in one of those BS safety check road blocks and got hit with a $75 fine for not having a front plate installed. (I have an insert.)

I was getting ready to pay the ticket online today when I noticed the Cop wrote my court date as 02/01/06 My lawyer dad doesn't think it's strong enough to pass, but I'm going to ask my cop buddy about this.

I've heard of people beating tickets because their name or SSN was wrong, and recall reading something about dates being incorrect.

I got a $75 ticket reduced to $25 once because the cop had written so many tickets, the judge didn't hink he could hear them all. So, he told eveyone up fron if you plead guilty, $25 and off you go. He was taking 2 people per minute, until one guy got up and said he wanted to plead innocent. The judge was pissed and made him wait until eveyone else was done. Good luck with the date, though. Sometimes judges get pissed at the cops, so you may get lucky. Other times, they will get pissed at you.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)

I am an attorney, I think your dad is most likely right. What would happen if you didn't show up on 2/01/07, they would likely issue you a no-show letter with a correct date.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hopefully the cop doesn't show or shows up late. I avoided points on my license because the cop was 45 minutes late to the hearing. My friend just beat a bogus ticket because the cop didn't show up at all.

Here's the thing, I got ticketed at home. I live in Iowa now, so it'd cost me more to miss a day at work (I'm a contractor so I don't get paid) drive home and back. I'm currently on supervision for a speeding ticket, but I don't think the non-moving violation will hurt me.

One other thing I noticed; the Copper underlined "A.M." when it was 10:40 P.M.

Attorneys??? :huh

I rather give the $75 to a lawyer to show up and fight this to keep it off my record than give $75 to the state.

Edited by santo=dorf

Unless you know them you more than likely wont get an attorney for cheaper then the ticket, and youre right, the non moving violation wont effect your supervision. Without counsel the only way really to beat it is if the lawyer shows up. I would just pay it online if you can and get it out of the way. For something that small its not worth missing work over.