Would the Sox have interest in Randy Johnson?

Kenkait Sox Fan

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
FWIW, according to ESPN Arizona supposedly offered a 3-player package including one major leaguer, and San Diego also made an offer with Scott Linebrink as the centerpiece.

And that's the equivalent of us giving up Mike MacDougal for him.

So in other words, forget about it. :D

At least the ESPN folks/fools are floating the idea that dealing Johnson could also be associated with an attempt by the Yankees to move themselves into the Barry Zito sweepstakes.

Given that they basically can print money in the Bronx and will have a beautiful new stadium before any Zito contract hits its last few years, that might be a very sensible move for the Yankees.

There is nothing wrong with getting a RJ or a Roger Clemens for a year while we figure out which of these prospects will be legit, with no pressure on them. Also, helps us build depth in case one of our 4 vet pitchers suffer any injuries.

I would have been ok if the Sox had gone after a Maddux too for a year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
According to KFMB in San Diego, Chad Tracy is involved in the trade talks.

Tracy + 2 spects for RJ is a steal for the Yanks.

Tracy can play at 1B, and rotate in the OF, and then they sign Zito with the money they save from trading RJ.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Is Randy Johnson going to net the Yankees more talent that Garcia did for the Sox? If so, KW was fleeced.

I think the only reason he wouldn't net as much would be the additional cash he is owed. Its amazing on this board how awful pitchers on other teams are and how valuable they are as White Sox players when they have similar numbers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
I think the only reason he wouldn't net as much would be the additional cash he is owed. Its amazing on this board how awful pitchers on other teams are and how valuable they are as White Sox players when they have similar numbers.

It could be because Garcia is 12 years younger, and put up better numbers than Randy. Call it a hunch.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
Tracy + 2 spects for RJ is a steal for the Yanks.

Tracy can play at 1B, and rotate in the OF, and then they sign Zito with the money they save from trading RJ.

I dont see AZ giving up a package like that fort RJ> I would offer one ok player, and if they dont take the offer, oh well, leave them with his 43 year old arm and his inflated salary.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
According to KFMB in San Diego, Chad Tracy is involved in the trade talks.

IN fact, I think that is the media trying to drive up the price on RJ. call it a hunch.

QUOTE(Kenkait Sox Fan @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
D-Backs will not want the entire salary. He would probably take a place closer to home but would want a contender. If back healthy, this would be a major type move that KW loves to make (if not Clemens). It would also make more sense to the McCarthy move to open up a rotation spot for a year until the prospects are ready.

I have to disagree with you that this is the type of trade KW likes to make. Randy Johnson has some upside, but if we trade for him and he has a year or two left we lose the advances we just made with the acquisition of young players and keeping the payroll in line. The Yankees will want a lot for the Big Unit and I think someone else should pay it not the Sox.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
I have to disagree with you that this is the type of trade KW likes to make. Randy Johnson has some upside, but if we trade for him and he has a year or two left we lose the advances we just made with the acquisition of young players and keeping the payroll in line. The Yankees will want a lot for the Big Unit and I think someone else should pay it not the Sox.

I'm sorry but 43 year old pitchers do not have "upside".