Sox Sign Cintron

ChiSox9

Per Rotoworld:

White Sox agreed to terms with infielder Alex Cintron on a one-year, $1.9 million contract.

This leaves Joe Crede as the team's only remaining arbitration-eligible player. Cintron settles for a $300,000 raise after hitting .285/.310/.392 with 10 steals in 288 at-bats last season. He'll again serve as the backup middle infielder next season, so how much playing time he'll get will depend on Juan Uribe's performance. Because of his defense and power, Uribe is the clearly better option at shortstop even when Cintron has the better batting average.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
Nice number for Cintron... I wonder what the Crede negotiations look like right now? It has been awful quiet.

Good signing.

I was wondering the same thing about Joe. That illogical little superfan in my head keeps saying "Maybe they're doing a long term contract for Crede!". I really want to get my Crede jersey signed when I go down to ST this spring, and I don't want it to be his last year (or worse, have him not be there at all).

That was the fan talking, so don't try to apply logic to it please.

I'd like to see an open competition between him and Uribe this spring. Uribe could use a fire under his behind and Cintron deserves a shot. Best player win. I know Uribe can play near gold glove D and makes more money, but if he is the better player, let him prove it. Uribe can be that right handed bat off of the bench and be a good super sub. Somehow, I feel this idea will get me scolded here at Soxtalk. I'm not saying dump Uribe, I'm saying let him earn his job. Either way, glad to have Cintron back.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
I'd like to see an open competition between him and Uribe this spring. Uribe could use a fire under his behind and Cintron deserves a shot. Best player win. I know Uribe can play near gold glove D and makes more money, but if he is the better player, let him prove it. Uribe can be that right handed bat off of the bench and be a good super sub. Somehow, I feel this idea will get me scolded here at Soxtalk. I'm not saying dump Uribe, I'm saying let him earn his job. Either way, glad to have Cintron back.

I like your thinking on this.

Alex is a good solid back up at 2B, SS and 3B. I think that if given a chance to play everyday he could hit for a real decent average, but he is more valuable to this team as a super sub. Mack doing some back up at 3B and Alex at 2B and SS looks good again. Now I want Crede signed to stay with the team.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)

If he is cleared from his legal troubles it would be a good idea to at least tell him he has competition for the job in 07 even if they aren't thinking of starting Cintron.

Actually, I expect Uribe to be out of shape from all the offseason time spent defending himself from charges that he shot someone. Hopefully he's been able to maintain a rigorous regimen but somehow I doubt it. Which'll be a shame 'cause he isn't hot with the stick when he has been working out. And I'm a big Uribe fan so I don't want him to come in struggling.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
yup, hopefully he has a good year for us then its like thanks a lot for everything and let him walk. sign michael young, thats what we need to do.

Michael Young isn't much of a SS right now and will only get worse with time, I really don't see him as being a long term solution at SS for the Sox so if they did go out and sign him after this season (which I really don't see happening) they'd still need to find someone to play SS while Young takes over for Iguchi at 2B.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Michael Young isn't much of a SS right now and will only get worse with time, I really don't see him as being a long term solution at SS for the Sox so if they did go out and sign him after this season (which I really don't see happening) they'd still need to find someone to play SS while Young takes over for Iguchi at 2B.

im not exactly sure how good young is at short but i know hes a great hitter and ozzie likes him a lot

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
If Cintron had 10 stolen bases in limited duty, couldn't he add some speed

to the lineup if our regular ss?

Dump Juan.

You can post it as much as you want but the only way Juan Uribe isn't the starting SS next year is if he's in a Dominican prison.