NBC: Saddam to hang within 48 hours.

Balta1701

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish they'd hang Ramsey Clark, too.

Well, not really, but that's one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of his execution. The people defending him. Not just the defense attorneys who do it because they've got to, or the people who genuinely don't believe in killing period -- but people like Ramsey Clark who hate everything this country stands for and would join him at the heart.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/12/30/hussein/index.html

A witness, Iraqi Judge Munir Haddad, said that one of the executioners told Hussein that the former dictator had destroyed Iraq, which sparked an argument that was joined by several government officials in the room.

As a noose was tightened around Hussein's neck, one of the executioners yelled "long live Muqtada al-Sadr," Haddad said, referring to the powerful anti-American Shiite religious leader.

Hussein, a Sunni, mockingly uttered one last phrase before he died: "Muqtada al-Sadr," according to Haddad's account.

The judge said Hussein appeared "totally oblivious to what was going on around him. I was very surprised. He was not afraid of death."

But Haddad's description of Hussein's demeanor before his execution contrasts markedly with that of another witness, Iraqi national security adviser Mowaffak al-Rubaie. "He was a broken man," al-Rubaie said. "He was afraid. You could see fear in his face." (Watch al-Rubaie describe Hussein's final moments )

The former dictator refused to wear a hood as he was hanged, al-Rubaie said.

Hussein's death came in "a blink of the eye" after his executioner activated the gallows just after 6 a.m. (10 p.m. Friday ET), said al-Rubaie.

"This dark page has been turned over," al-Rubaie said. "Saddam is gone. Today Iraq is an Iraq for all the Iraqis, and all the Iraqis are looking forward. ... The [Hussein] era has gone forever."

How come you left out the contrasting view, in the very next paragraph of your same article, that said he was afraid?

I saw the clips on CNN as they tightened the noose. He didn't look defeated, nor did he look afraid, nor did he look like a raving madman (other than looking like Saddam...which I guess is a raving madman). He spoke with a few of the executioners, and it looked like they explained what he needed to do. He seemed very cooperative.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
I saw the clips on CNN as they tightened the noose. He didn't look defeated, nor did he look afraid, nor did he look like a raving madman (other than looking like Saddam...which I guess is a raving madman). He spoke with a few of the executioners, and it looked like they explained what he needed to do. He seemed very cooperative.

That's what I saw also. Seems the only issue was his reluctance to wear the hood.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Boooooo, for a guy who was slick enough to sneak a cell phone in, his camera work got s***tier and s***tier as the action got better and better. I want my money back.

The Better Business Bureau is under speed dial as Fire.

Now that I think about it -- isn't it against SoxTalk protocol to allow threads like this to go on? I don't mind, personally -- hell, if it were up to me, you'd be able to talk about whatever whenever and say whatever. But, I'm curious what makes Saddam's execution and entries about it different than Tookie's.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Now that I think about it -- isn't it against SoxTalk protocol to allow threads like this to go on? I don't mind, personally -- hell, if it were up to me, you'd be able to talk about whatever whenever and say whatever. But, I'm curious what makes Saddam's execution and entries about it different than Tookie's.

We're pricks.