NBC: Saddam to hang within 48 hours.

Balta1701

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Couldn't they have made the execution a little less ghetto looking? Like put the executioners in uniforms and real hoods instead of denim jackets and ski masks? Or maybe have it take place somewhere other than the upstairs of an abandoned apartment?

How many nicer buildings are there left standing in that country?

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
It was done successfully........thats all I care about.

Trouble is...the people over there keep caring about other things. This cell phone video is starting to look like just the latest gas can thrown on the fire over there. Yeah it's already burning out of control, but do we need to make sure that everything goes up?

- Enraged crowds protested the hanging of Saddam Hussein across Iraq's Sunni heartland Monday, as a mob in Samara broke the locks off a bomb-damaged Shiite shrine and marched through carrying a mock coffin and photo of the dictator.

The demonstration in the Golden Dome, shattered in a bombing by Sunni extremists 10 months ago, suggests that many Sunni Arabs may now more actively support the small number of Sunni militants fighting the country's Shiite-dominated government. The Feb. 22 bombing of the shrine triggered the current cycle of retaliatory attacks between Sunnis and Shiia, in the form of daily bombings, kidnappings and murders.

Monday's protest came on a day that saw the U.S. military kill six Iraqis during a raid on the offices of a prominent Sunni political figure, who was suspected of giving al-Qaida in Iraq fighters sanctuary.

Until Saddam's execution Saturday, most Sunnis sympathized with militants but avoided taking a direct role in the sectarian conflict -- despite attacks by Shiite militia that have killed thousands of Sunnis or driven them from their homes. The current Sunni protests, which appear to be building, could signal a spreading militancy.

Angered by taunts

Sunnis were not only outraged by Saddam's hurried execution, just four days after an appeals court upheld his conviction and sentence. Many were also incensed by the unruly scene in the execution chamber, captured on video, in which Saddam was taunted with chants of "Muqtada, Muqtada, Muqtada."

The chants referred to Muqtada al-Sadr, a firebrand Shiite cleric who runs one of Iraq's most violent religious militias. He is a major power behind the government of Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

Many Sunnis are also upset that Saddam was put to death the day that Sunni celebrations began for Eid al-Ahda, a major Muslim festival. The judge who first presided over the case that resulted in Saddam's death sentence said the former dictator's execution at the start of Eid was illegal according to Iraqi law, and contradicted Islamic custom.

The law states that "no verdict should implemented during the official holidays or religious festivals," said Judge Rizgar Mohammed Amin, a Kurd.

Rizgar presided over Saddam's trial on charges he killed 148 Shiite men and boys in Dujail, north of Baghdad, in a botched assassination attempt in 1982. The judge was removed from the case after Shiite complaints that he was too lenient.

In a Sunni neighborhood in northern Baghdad, hundreds of demonstrators mourned the executed leader. Some praised the Baath Party, the outlawed nationalist group that under Saddam cemented Sunni Arab dominance of Iraq.

"The Baath party and Baathists still exist in Iraq, and nobody can marginalize it," said Samir al-Obaidi, 48, who attended a Saddam memorial in the Azamiyah neighborhood.

In Dor, 77 miles north of Baghdad, hundreds more took to the streets to attend the dedication of a giant mosaic of Saddam. Children carried toy guns and men fired real weapons into the air.

Mourners at a mosque in Saddam's hometown of Tikrit slaughtered sheep as a sacrifice for their former leader. The mosque's walls were lined with condolence cards from tribes in southern Iraq and Jordan who were unable to travel to the memorial.

Link.

Supposedly, this piece of video has already become so big in Iraq that while going around trying to interview people about it today, a group at NBC was taken at gunpoint today by Shi'a militia members and forced to give up their video of interviews asking people about the execution. Twice.

If we're going to do it, wouldn't the worst possible way we could do it given the current mess be to have him hang while Shi'ite Muslims are taunting him and shouting Muqtada?

Many Sunnis are also upset that Saddam was put to death the day that Sunni celebrations began for Eid al-Ahda, a major Muslim festival

When are the Muslims NOT having a holy day, week month or celebration? If there was a half green color, I would use it, because I am partly serious in this question. It seems like every damn thing is a holy month, major celebration, etc.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
When are the Muslims NOT having a holy day, week month or celebration? If there was a half green color, I would use it, because I am partly serious in this question. It seems like every damn thing is a holy month, major celebration, etc.

They really act like its a holy month or day or whatever when they blow people up, gun them down and leave dozens of beaten and bullet riddled bodies laying around.

Religon of peace...............

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)

Stealing from Wikipedia:

* Ramadan - the month in which Muslims must fast during daylight hours.

* Feast of Breaking the Fast (Eid al-Fitr), or the Little Feast (al-Eid saghir) - occurs at the conclusion of Ramadan and is held on the first day of the month of Shawwal.

* The Big Feast, (Eid al-Adha), also "The Feast of Sacrifice" (Kurban Bayram) - two months and 10 days after the Little Feast. Animals are slaughtered to commemorate Abraham's sacrificing of a ram instead of his son Ishmael, as believed in Islamic tradition. (The Bible says it was his son Isaac who was to be sacrificed.) Those who are economically able to make a pilgrimage to Mecca do so just before this date, on the Hajj.

* Day of Ashurah - the 10th day of the month of Muharram. This is the day on which God saved Moses and the Israelitess from Pharaoh in Egypt as he crossed the Red Sea (the Exodus day). According to Islamic tradition Muhammad fasted along with the neighboring Jewish communities on this occasion, and according to narrations, Muhammad planned on fasting on the 9th and 10th of Muharram. (According to Judaism the Israelites left Egypt on the first day of Passover, and they crossed the Sea of Reeds on the next morn, both of which are celebrated as holidays with meals.) This is also the day on which Muhammad's grandson, Husayn ibn Ali, was killed according to tradition in the Battle of Karbala. For Shi'a Muslims this is a day of mourning. Many Sunni Muslims also commemorate this event, albeit in a less dramatic fashion than the Shi'a.

* Muslim New Year ((Maal Hijrah))- not generally celebrated as an official Islamic holiday, although many Muslim communities have devised or revived some kind of new year ritual celebration.

* The Prophet's Birthday (Al-Mawlidu N-Nabawi Sh-Sharif) - Some scholars consider this holiday to be an innovation in the religion, as Muhammad himself did not celebrate it.Islamic fundamentals condemn this festival due to their perception that it is polytheist in nature.

* Laylat al-Qadr (The Night of Power) - is on one of the odd last ten nights of Ramadan (19,21,23,25,27,29). It is considered the holiest night in the entire month of Ramadan, since it is the night in which the Qur'an was first revealed. It is also considered better than a thousand months. [Qur'an 97:1-3] It is said that if one offers voluntarily worships on that night, all the past sins are forgiven[citation needed].

* Laylat ul Isra' wa-l-Miraaj (The Night of the Journey and Ascension) - is on 27 of Rajab. It is the night when Muhammad was, according to Hadiths, taken to "the furthest mosque" (generally understood to be Jerusalem) on a Buraq (a beast resembling horse with wings; some people consider it a cherub) and ascended to the highest level of the heavens. It is said that he negotiated with God about the number of prayers, which started at fifty a day, but on his way down he met Moses who asked him to ask for a reduction in the number because the requirement was difficult for Muhammad's people. Muhammad returned to God and several times asked for and was granted a reduction of five prayers, until the number was reduced to five in total, with the blessing that if they were properly performed, the performers would be credited with fifty prayers instead of five.

* Laylat ul Bara'ah (The Night of Freedom from Fire) - occurs on the night between the 14th and 15th of Sha'ban. It is considered a night when Muslims are graced with Divine Mercy and blessings. The night is spent in the recitation of the Qur'an and special prayers.

* Jumu'ah-tul-Wida (Arabic: جمعة الودع ) occurs on the last Friday in the month of Ramadan before Eid-ul-Fitr.

I don't think there are a lot more of them than there are in the Western religions, with things like Passover/Lent, Easter, Christmas, days for specific saints honored in certain countries, etc.

The issue here might be that this particular holiday was important enough that the Hussein regime itself even forbade executions during this one. I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of problem cropped up fairly commonly in any country where the leadership becomes overly controlled by one particular religion.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
They really act like its a holy month or day or whatever when they blow people up, gun them down and leave dozens of beaten and bullet riddled bodies laying around.

Religon of peace...............

Pretty broad strokes there, Nuke.

I don't think these assbags represent Islam any more than the tards who attack abortion clinics represent Christians.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
Pretty broad strokes there, Nuke.

I don't think these assbags represent Islam any more than the tards who attack abortion clinics represent Christians.

I have no love lost for a religon that sanctions rape, abuse of women, and murder of anyone who doesn't share their beliefs then claims it is a "religon of peace". I'll take any opportunity I can to point out the hypocrasy in that.

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
I have no love lost for a religon that sanctions rape, abuse of women, and murder of anyone who doesn't share their beliefs then claims it is a "religon of peace". I'll take any opportunity I can to point out the hypocrasy in that.

I just don't believe that the entire religion sanctions these crimes, and that there are no peaceful Muslims anywhere.

There is hypocrisy in people of every religion.

The people make the religion. In some cases Nuke you're absolutely right and the religion of peace becomes quite the opposite. But in the other cases it's just another religion and not some kind of enemy or antagonist to vilify.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:24 PM)

There are so many religions to point fingers at on that one, youd run out of hands.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 12:59 AM)
There are so many religions to point fingers at on that one, youd run out of hands....................

.................which is why I more or less eschew organized religon in favor of a simple belief in God and the existence of Heaven for those who live a virtuous life and a Hell for those who do not.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/01/02/...tion/index.html

Back on topic.........

Why would the U.S. seek to delay the execution? The longer that man was allowed to live, the longer he was a thorn in our side and an impediment to Iraq's rebirth. Better to get rid of the bastard now and let whatever reaction, positive or negative, work itself out so people can move on.