Official: Randy Johnson traded to Diamondbacks

Gregory Pratt

The Yanks aren't in any trouble. Along with Kenny it appears the Yanks actually get things in this market and have probably had the best off-season in the majors (although the BoSox did get a lot better despite giving out some ridiculous ass contracts).

Still I really really like what the Yankees have done and I like what the White Sox have done (albeit the White Sox plan is incredibly risky, but I like the logic of it).

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 30, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
Look at the NY rotation. There is trouble. Mussina and Wang will be fine, but what are you getting from Igawa and Pavano if healthy?

The NY Rotation is actually in damn good shape, even if people get hurt or stink.

Mussina

Wang

Igawa

Pettitte

Open spot - for 1 of Pavano, Hughes, and Humberto Sanchez.

Supposedly, the Yankees already wanted to get Hughes into the rotation within a few months, maybe at the beginning of the year even. They have 3 potential candidates for that last rotation spot, and a good amount of depth right there.

Oh, and they have an open spot in case the 7 time Cy Young award winner decides to come back for another half season, which I am absolutely certain is on their mind.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
The NY Rotation is actually in damn good shape, even if people get hurt or stink.

Mussina

Wang

Igawa

Pettitte

Open spot - for 1 of Pavano, Hughes, and Humberto Sanchez.

Supposedly, the Yankees already wanted to get Hughes into the rotation within a few months, maybe at the beginning of the year even. They have 3 potential candidates for that last rotation spot, and a good amount of depth right there.

Oh, and they have an open spot in case the 7 time Cy Young award winner decides to come back for another half season, which I am absolutely certain is on their mind.

I'm really interested to see Igawa. It seems when he was first posting people were saying bull-pen guy or 4th or 5th starter, but when NYY got him his potential got a huge push (although I am an east-coast bias conspiracy guy!!).

I'll be interested to see what NYY got for him, I heard earlier on ESPN that the more they picked up of the contract the better the prospects the D-Backs would give, so I wonder what ended up panning out

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 01:36 AM)
I'm really interested to see Igawa. It seems when he was first posting people were saying bull-pen guy or 4th or 5th starter, but when NYY got him his potential got a huge push (although I am an east-coast bias conspiracy guy!!).

Igawa's long been projected to be a middle of the rotation guy

The Yanks are finally starting to get it. They're getting younger and arguably better by trading guys like Wright, Sheffield and now Randy. They can't keep paying these huge contracts to older players. Now that they have some youth--esp pitching--they can make a lot of moves. No team wanted their has-beens before. And the Yanks weren't able to trade to get pitching help. Now they have in house help to take over in case of injury

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 04:33 AM)
For a guy who is supposedly washed up, Johnson sure did win a lot of games in 2006.

Which is of course the ultimate proof of how little the "win" stat can mean for some players. #1 offense in baseball, pitcher with an ERA of 5.00. ANY other team in baseball and he looks 5x worse.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Which is of course the ultimate proof of how little the "win" stat can mean for some players. #1 offense in baseball, pitcher with an ERA of 5.00. ANY other team in baseball and he looks 5x worse.

So he's basically Garland, Vazquez, Garcia and Buerhle at this point in his career. If that's washed up, KW shouldn't be faulted for rebuilding.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)
So he's basically Garland, Vazquez, Garcia and Buerhle at this point in his career. If that's washed up, KW shouldn't be faulted for rebuilding.

Except about 15 years older than them, paid $6-7 million more than each of them, with 100% less cartilage in his knees than any of them, and with 1 more recent back surgery than any of them.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
Except about 15 years older than them, paid $6-7 million more than each of them, with 100% less cartilage in his knees than any of them, and with 1 more recent back surgery than any of them.

I'm no longer doing ^^^ because Santa Dorf specifically said not to.

Edit: Wait. I just did. Oh well.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An update from here in Phoenix:

It seems like the Johnson Trade is dead. The Yanks and Dbacks agreed on a deal but RJ wants $14 million for 2008. Unless Johnson comes down on his 2008 price he will not be coming to Phoenix.

So Randy asks to be traded to a certain team. Then he demands the certain team to give him X amount. Nice guy.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm no longer doing ^^^ because Santa Dorf specifically said not to.

Edit: Wait. I just did. Oh well.

:santa

Edited by santo=dorf

Rotoworld:

The Yankees and Diamondbacks have advanced far enough in their discussions that Randy Johnson has already agreed, in principle, to a contract extension for 2008 with Arizona, two people familiar with the situation told Newsday.

So many varying opinions, but this is the most concrete report to come in so far. Newsday says the Yankees will get Luis Vizcaino, not Brandon Medders, in the deal. They're also expected to get Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf or Micah Owings. It's still possible they'll receive two of the three pitching prospects, but they'd have to kick in more money for that to happen. According to the report, the deal remains two or three days away from being finalized. Jan. 4 - 2:15 am et

Source: Newsday