Official: Randy Johnson traded to Diamondbacks

Gregory Pratt

Friggin D'Backs are IDIOTS for doing this...which is nothing really more than a PR move on their part to try and put some butts back in the seats after stagnent attendence the last few years...and a little makeup move for how they dealt with Gonzo. Not saying I disagree with letting Gonzo go...it was just the manner in which they did it that pissed D'Back fans off out here. As with any sport out here in Phoenix...apathy sets in. Sure...there's a billion Suns fans right now...but wait when they're in decline...nobody goes except corporate people.

Randy Johnson is a prick...plain and simple. You just wait...if and when he ends up back in Phoenix...I should start an over and under on the week he starts to b**** and moan about the team. I say middle of June he should be in top prick form.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Friggin D'Backs are IDIOTS for doing this...which is nothing really more than a PR move on their part to try and put some butts back in the seats after stagnent attendence the last few years...and a little makeup move for how they dealt with Gonzo. Not saying I disagree with letting Gonzo go...it was just the manner in which they did it that pissed D'Back fans off out here. As with any sport out here in Phoenix...apathy sets in. Sure...there's a billion Suns fans right now...but wait when they're in decline...nobody goes except corporate people.

Randy Johnson is a prick...plain and simple. You just wait...if and when he ends up back in Phoenix...I should start an over and under on the week he starts to b**** and moan about the team. I say middle of June he should be in top prick form.

I don't know about you but I am so tired of this Randy Johnson s***. I just wish it would end one way or the other. The Dbacks have other needs that need to be fixed more than this RJ trade.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Viscaino (RP), Ohlendorf (SP), Steven Jackson (SP), Alberto Gonzalez (SS)

link

Yanks did not pay anything

Your post was somewhat misleading.

It is Viz and ONE prospect, not all of them. Also AZ gets a 72 hour window to negotiate an extension. Also they ARE sending money.

The D-backs will send veteran reliever Luis Vizcaino and a pitching prospect in exchange for Johnson. It's believed that the Yankees will include some money in the deal to help Arizona defray the cost of Johnson's $16 million salary for 2007.

The pitching prospect will likely come from a group of Ross Ohlendorf, Micah Owings or Dustin Nippert. It's unknown whether the D-backs will include another lower-level Minor Leaguer in the deal.

Edited by RockRaines

So let's see, thus far, this deal works out for the Yankees as:

The D-Backs get:

Brad Halsey

Dioner Navarro

Javier Vazquez

Something in the neighborhood of $9 million in the first deal

Roughly $2 million in this deal

The Yankees get:

Luis Vizcaino

Ross Ohlendorf (10-8 with a 3.29 ERA at Double-A Tennessee last season, made southern league all-star game)

Alberto Gonzalez (a 24-year-old right-handed hitting SS, batted .290 in 129 games with Tennessee with six homers, 50 RBI and 20 doubles, supposedly solid defense, and is currently serving as the Attorney General of the United States)

and potentially Steven Jackson (8-11 with a 2.65 ERA in 24 starts at Tennessee)

2 years of mediocre pitching from Randy Johnson, and 1 beaten up cameraman.

Yeah, I'd say the D-Backs made out pretty well in that. Especially when you replace Javy with Chris Young. Still, I wouldn't have made the deal to get Johnson back.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
ESPN says it's Vizcaino, Ohlendorf, Gonazalez, and possibly Jackson, with the Yankees only picking up $1-2 mil.

wow, that is just awful. i thought they would get a lot more money than that. obviously johnson will do better in the nl west, but not 24 million over 2 years good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So let's see, thus far, this deal works out for the Yankees as:

The D-Backs get:

Brad Halsey

Dioner Navarro

Javier Vazquez

Something in the neighborhood of $9 million in the first deal

Roughly $2 million in this deal

The Yankees get:

Luis Vizcaino

Ross Ohlendorf (10-8 with a 3.29 ERA at Double-A Tennessee last season, made southern league all-star game)

Alberto Gonzalez (a 24-year-old right-handed hitting SS, batted .290 in 129 games with Tennessee with six homers, 50 RBI and 20 doubles, supposedly solid defense, and is currently serving as the Attorney General of the United States)

and potentially Steven Jackson (8-11 with a 2.65 ERA in 24 starts at Tennessee)

2 years of mediocre pitching from Randy Johnson, and 1 beaten up cameraman.

Yeah, I'd say the D-Backs made out pretty well in that. Especially when you replace Javy with Chris Young. Still, I wouldn't have made the deal to get Johnson back.

Randy Johnson was nowhere near mediocre in 2005. Just because he didn't win 30 games like Kruk predicted doesn't mean he wasn't that good.

Let's start this trade from the beginning and look at the net result

Yankees lose:

Juan Rivera

Nick Johnson

Cash

Dioner Navarro

Brad Halsey

a little more cash

Yankees get:

Luis Vizcaino

Ross Ohlendorf

Alberto Gonzalez

Steven Jackson

Sox lose:

Vizcaino

Chris Young

El Duque

Sox get:

Vazquez

a little cash

Diamondbacks get:

Chris Young

Juan Cruz

Evan MacLane

Cash

Diamondbacks lose:

Ross Ohlendorf

Alberto Gonzalez

Steven Jackson

Dioner Navarro

Beltran Perez

Danny Muegge

William Juarez

cash

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
Randy Johnson was nowhere near mediocre in 2005. Just because he didn't win 30 games like Kruk predicted doesn't mean he wasn't that good.

Stealing this from the Trib today:

Mike Lupica of the New York Daily News wrote that the Yankees will wind up having paid Johnson $43 million to win 34 games, none in the postseason. But that's only the tip of the iceberg.