Milledge now available?

klaus kinski

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Milledge has been available ever since he pissed off the Mets veterans and coaching staff.

I'm not sure what he did to piss everyone on the Mets off, but is this someone that's worth dealing with in the clubhouse?

Also, how great do people think he's going to be? He may be a good ball player, but is it possible that the NY hype has made this guy better then he is? I'd hate to see this guy turn into the next Daryl Boston.

Bob

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
We couldn't match Oakland's offer unless we were to give a package of players. Blanton would be a nice addition to the Mets starting rotation, whereas most of what we could give may not be ready to pitch at the MLB level.

I believe the thinking is that we'd include one of our four major league starters. Obviously not straight up for Milledge.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure what he did to piss everyone on the Mets off, but is this someone that's worth dealing with in the clubhouse?

There were some bad vibes when he went down the left field line high fiving the fans. Not sure if something else happened though

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Dec 31, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
I believe the thinking is that we'd include one of our four major league starters. Obviously not straight up for Milledge.

Gotcha....Vazquez for Milledge ?

If so, I'd rather keep the pitcher, and just hope that our young OF's can improve next season.

There were some bad vibes when he went down the left field line high fiving the fans. Not sure if something else happened though

There was a lot of talk about Milledge and his relationship with the team and the coaching staff here in the local NY media. There was the incident you mentioned, but other things as well. Reportedly, many players saw him as a prima donna who acted like he was a star even though he was just a prospect. At one point late in the season, some player(s) took everything out of his locker and replaced it with a dress. This fueled some preexisting but unsubstantiated rumors that he is gay.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
There was a lot of talk about Milledge and his relationship with the team and the coaching staff here in the local NY media. There was the incident you mentioned, but other things as well. Reportedly, many players saw him as a prima donna who acted like he was a star even though he was just a prospect. At one point late in the season, some player(s) took everything out of his locker and replaced it with a dress. This fueled some preexisting but unsubstantiated rumors that he is gay.

WASHINGTON - KNOW YOUR PLACE, ROOK!

The hand-scrawled message hung above Lastings Milledge's locker after Friday's 4-3 victory over the Nationals. At the bottom of the two sheets of paper was written, "Your Teammates."

At a time when the Mets should be focusing on the playoffs, it was a disturbing sign.

Milledge, as usual, ate dinner alone seated at his locker, facing inward, as the rest of the Mets crowded the clubhouse cafeteria. Someone had hidden Milledge's street clothes, and one player thought they had been replaced by a dress.

The reason? According to one person familiar with the situation, Milledge - whose reputation is deteriorating quickly - mouthed off to a veteran teammate in Atlanta. Friday's rebuke followed. Apparently, his teammates are becoming more and more annoyed by Milledge's attitude.

"How much does it take to finally wake up?" the person said. "How long before you realize the way you're acting is the opposite of how you should be acting? Fine. Stay asleep, then."

Newsday, back in September.

One Mets beat reporter, in November:

I don't know the root of Milledge's attitude problems are. It is times like this when I wish I took more psychology courses in college.

I talk with him in the clubhouse and want to like him, but he makes it hard. He's got a chip that needs to be knocked off.

This team is pretty unhappy with him. Too arrogant. Not getting along well with the veterans.

As soon as we hear a rumor about him deciding to give a knee to one of the trainers, or offers up $100 to anyone who hits a home run off of Glavine...we'll know he's one of ours.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
If he disrespects veterans, Ozzie would hate him and keep him on the bench. The attitude and the NY prospect hype makes me less than enthusiastic about getting this guy unless he comes cheaply.

The other side of the token may be that he is just too arrogant for a guy who hasn't proven anything, which certainly seems to have been a big part of the problem in NY, and the Mets, a team with a lot of veterans who have proven a lot, weren't ready to put up with arrogance. But there are some teams where a little bit of arrogance can be an accepted thing, if you start performing to keep up with the arrogance.

It's also possible the NY media has significantly blown up the story and therefore degraded his value below what it should be otherwise. I mean Hell, I'm pretty sure I've read a couple different stories about the team putting Anderson in a dress, but that was basically because he was a rookie. And then there's Buehrle and his legendary shaving cream pies...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
I'm pretty sure I've read a couple different stories about the team putting Anderson in a dress, but that was basically because he was a rookie. And then there's Buehrle and his legendary shaving cream pies...

He was dead sexy in that ASU cheerleader's outfit.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
As soon as we hear a rumor about him deciding to give a knee to one of the trainers, or offers up $100 to anyone who hits a home run off of Glavine...we'll know he's one of ours.

:lol: