Chad Cordero available for A level prospects?

beck72

The Nationals reportedly are interested in trading closer Cordero. The article mentions the Nats interest in Boston's lower level prospects. Seeing how it wouldn't hurt the present, and the sox would be dealing from a position of stength of pitchers, why not make a play for Cordero. He'd be the perfect insurance policy in case Jenks went down. I'm not sold on MacDougal or Thornton taking over for Bobby if he got hurt. And the cost for getting a closer mid year would be astronomical.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=174781

What's interesting, looking back to talks with the Nats GM Bowden, that both Anderson and a prospect [like Lance Broadway] were mentioned as possible targets by the Wash. Post columnist in a deal for Soriano last yr.

Here's the quote:

"So if a deal with the White Sox is to get done quickly, and it doesn't involve McCarthy, it's possible the Nationals could be targeting an outfielder such as Brian Anderson -- a 24-year-old who is hitting just .205 with a .281 on-base percentage as the White Sox' regular center fielder -- to go along with a prospect, perhaps right-hander Lance Broadway, left-hander Ray Liotta (who has struggled this year), third baseman Josh Fields, or outfielder Ryan Sweeney."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...6072401251.html

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(U can putitontheboarrrrd...YES @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
Cordero is a 1 trick pony, and really not a very good one. He'd get annihilated in the AL. Keep him far away.

He's done pretty well so far in his career. And the sox could trade him to a few teams in dire need of a closer--Marlins, D-Rays. Acquiring him for extra peices could help save the sox from trading prospects the sox don't want to part with

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's done pretty well so far in his career. And the sox could trade him to a few teams in dire need of a closer--Marlins, D-Rays. Acquiring him for extra peices could help save the sox from trading prospects the sox don't want to part with

Think we could get Ciristian Guzman tossed in?

Your post makes no sense. The Sox are going to trade non-prospects for Cordero only to trade him to other teams for valuable "extra peices?" :bang

We have so much potential waiting in the wings now and many can help in the bullpen, if they don't make it as a starter, I just can't see why we would need Cordero. You bring in a guy like Chad and all it does is block the growth and potential of one of our youngsters.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 06:53 PM)
Think we could get Ciristian Guzman tossed in?

Your post makes no sense. The Sox are going to trade non-prospects for Cordero only to trade him to other teams for valuable "extra peices?" :bang

I guess teams stockpiling SP's and bullpen help makes no sense--esp the market for major league pitching the way it is. I'd forsee a guy like Cordero being a big help to the sox bullpen. Yet he could also be moved [or another guy the sox have gotten in a trade, such as Aardsma] to another team who the sox could get an upgrade in the OF, or SS--if the sox didn't have to give up too much in the short term or long term. That was my point.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
If we can get Cordero in our bp to go along with Jenks, Macdougal, and Thornton.... idonno I think that would be pretty much the best bp hands down.

I like the looks of the sox 'pen. But it is light in proven guys after those big 3. You can never have too much pitching talent, as long as the cost isn't that steep.

Edited by beck72

Only giving up Anderson and Broadway would maybe get me interested, but ATM I'll pass.

At this stage, if we wanted to acquire someone for the pen, rather it'd be a lefty so it will allow for Sisco to start down at Charlotte.

No thanks on Cordero, at least that is what I expect the White Sox to say - if you've heard Kenny Williams talk about the bullpen, they are extremely excited about what's currently down there and I think he feels that the pen is a strength of the team, and they don't need to upgrade further.

The value of a decent starting pitcher > the value of a good relief pitcher.

The value of a decent starting pitcher with 0 years MLB service time >> the value of a good relief pitcher with several years of service time.

The value of a hopefully MLB level, solid defensive outfielder with 1 year of Service time and 1 decent starting pitching prospect with 0 years MLB service time >>> the value of a good relief pitcher with several years of service time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:44 PM)
The value of a decent starting pitcher > the value of a good relief pitcher.

The value of a decent starting pitcher with 0 years MLB service time >> the value of a good relief pitcher with several years of service time.

The value of a hopefully MLB level, solid defensive outfielder with 1 year of Service time and 1 decent starting pitching prospect with 0 years MLB service time >>> the value of a good relief pitcher with several years of service time.

What are you getting at?

You're trading for a setup man at closer value, which is kind of like buying a fliet mignon with the intention of grinding it into hamburger meat. Sure it would be great, but you may as well just buy the ass of the cow and get essentally the same product.

If they would take just Broadway - which they won't - I'd do the deal in a heartbeat, but for the Sox, that's pretty much all they can give up. So, no, it's not going to happen.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
Cordero> jenks at the end of the day. I know it is hard for many to believe someone is better than the savior bobby jenks.

Jenks has more upside, but that's upside and not his current ability.

I agree completely, but you know as well as I that Ozzie would insist on Jenks closing.

Bucholz, Bowden, and Bard are "A level prospects" but you make it sound like they are horrible prospects. They all could be top 30 prospects in Baseball America in the next year.

Still, if the White Sox have what it takes ala Broadway and Anderson, they should without hesitiation go after him.