Broncos Darrent Williams

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...ex.html?cnn=yes

DENVER (AP) -- Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was shot and killed in a drive-by shooting early Monday, his limousine sprayed with bullets in downtown Denver just hours after the team was elimated from the NFL playoffs.

Team spokesman Jim Saccomano said police called him about 3 a.m. from the scene and told him three people had been shot, and the 24-year-old Williams had been killed.

A little after 2 a.m., a white Hummer limousine was fired on from a vehicle that pulled up along its side, police spokesman Sonny Jackson said.

I'm a hard-core Denver Broncos fan and he will be terribly missed. He played with a ton of heart being such a little guy. His coach and teammates loved him. I know that some will compare this to the Tank Johnson thing about athletes being at clubs but this was New Year's Eve and its impossible to imagine this happening. Just a shocker to me.

I'm starting to think that aside from dealing with steroids, one of the biggest issues for the new NFL commissioner is going to wind up being a David Stern type crackdown on behavior. The Bengals, Tank Johnson, this, and I'm sure there's a lot of others not coming to mind...people in the NFL just aren't making smart decisions about where to go and who to associate with and the league isn't doing nearly as much about it as they should.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

QUOTE(profootballtalk.com @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
WILLIAMS DIED IN JAVON WALKER'S LAP

A league source tells us that the current talk in team circles is that Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams expired in the lap of receiver Javon Walker after being shot early Monday morning in a limousine.

Williams, we're told, expired instantly. Also in the limousine were linebacker D.J. Williams and receiver Brandon Marshall. Two others who were riding in the vehicle with the Broncos players were shot, but Walker, D.J. Williams, and Marshall were not injured.

Initially, it was feared that Walker also had been shot, but it was determined that the blood on his clothing was from Williams. (We really couldn't think of a more delicate way to report that specific fact, and we continue to feel nauseous about the entire ordeal. We've heard good things about Darrent Williams from members of the media, and our thoughts are with his family.)

We're told that local police have strong leads as to the suspects, and that arrests are expected to come sooner rather than later. Apparently, the bullets were fired by a group of men with whom the Broncos players had squabbled at a New Year's Eve party hosted by one or more members of the Denver Nuggets.

It's easy to say that he was in a bad spot after the fact but he was at a party on New Year's Eve. Who hasn't been out to a bar/club on New Year's Eve. Saying they need to be much more careful is putting the blame on the wrong party here. The douchebag murderer who was carrying guns at a bar is who needs to be dealt with here

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
I just dont understand when it becomes necessary to elevate a verbal squabble to involved guns and drive by's. Maybe its my upbringing, but I cant see the reason to kick it up to that.

Thats my thinking too. Im not sure if this is the entire story, but what justifies shooting at a group of people and htting 3 and killing one because of a verbal squabble?

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
Thats my thinking too. Im not sure if this is the entire story, but what justifies shooting at a group of people and htting 3 and killing one because of a verbal squabble?

The shooter's manhood was probably questioned and/or insulted. That's all it seems to take.

Sad but (presumably) true.

QUOTE(Balance @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
The shooter's manhood was probably questioned and/or insulted. That's all it seems to take.

Sad but (presumably) true.

These kids need to realize that it doesnt take a man to spray bullets at a car full of people. It takes a man to stand eye to eye with someone, and either resolve the argument, or walk away.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
I'm starting to think that aside from dealing with steroids, one of the biggest issues for the new NFL commissioner is going to wind up being a David Stern type crackdown on behavior. The Bengals, Tank Johnson, this, and I'm sure there's a lot of others not coming to mind...people in the NFL just aren't making smart decisions about where to go and who to associate with and the league isn't doing nearly as much about it as they should.

he already mentioned that he has concerns about NFL players and guns, so hopefully he follows through on this. King in his SI.com article has about 2 pages on the story that are very good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
These kids need to realize that it doesnt take a man to spray bullets at a car full of people. It takes a man to stand eye to eye with someone, and either resolve the argument, or walk away.

I agree. Parents need to teach their children this lesson.

I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/foot...ex.html?cnn=yes

They picked up an SUV that they believe was used as the car in the shooting.

Maybe its something in the water in Denver.

In 2003, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter was shot outside a Denver sports bar, and last April, Nuggets guard Julius Hodge was shot while driving on Interstate 76 in Denver. Both shootings occurred after disturbances at nightclubs and neither case has been solved.

Hodge, who played Tuesday night for the first time since he was shot five times April 8, said Williams' killing brought back nightmares of the night he was attacked.