2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
SI is reporting that the Rangers are close to a multi-year deal with Shortstop Michael Young, which could be worth around $90 million for 6 years.

Dag nab it, I figured if we would sign anyone to a fat contract next year in FA it would be Michael Young.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)
Dag nab it, I figured if we would sign anyone to a fat contract next year in FA it would be Michael Young.

The Rangers held a $4M team option for the '08 season, if they're about to give him $15M a year to keep him around for the next 6 years then I doubt they would have had much trouble paying him $4M to stick around for 2008. The soonest he would have hit free agency would have been after the '08 season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
The Rangers held a $4M team option for the '08 season, if they're about to give him $15M a year to keep him around for the next 6 years then I doubt they would have had much trouble paying him $4M to stick around for 2008. The soonest he would have hit free agency would have been after the '08 season.

I've been served. I don't know why I was thinking he was an unrestricted FA. It must have been from all the trade proposals talking about teams picking him up that I assumed it was because he was due to be a FA.

That said I fully agree that is a lot of money to give Young.

Where is this A Rod to the Cubs in '08 rumor coming from?

A Rod might be unhappy in NY and loves Pinella, is that all?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
Anyone see Zambrano's quote gauranteeing the World Series this year. Luke Stuckmeyer reported it on Sportsrise this morning

Holy Crap, that's golden.

I'm gonna print it, take it to Kinko's, have it blown up poster size and bring it to Wrigley in late September.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
Where is this A Rod to the Cubs in '08 rumor coming from?

A Rod might be unhappy in NY and loves Pinella, is that all?

Holy Crap, that's golden.

I'm gonna print it, take it to Kinko's, have it blown up poster size and bring it to Wrigley in late September.

Actually its better than golden, this b*tch is platinum coated with titanium coated with diamond crust

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

After throwing two shutout innings in his Cactus League debut Friday, Carlos Zambrano already was talking the talk.

"I believe this year I will win the Cy Young (Award) and I will enjoy that," he said. "And besides that, we will win the World Series. I guarantee you that. I have faith."

He called Cy Young and winning the World Series in the same sentence.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Mar 4, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
Sam-Me homered for the Rangers and said,

"It's good to get that one out of the way. Now I can relax. I was looking for that, so was everybody else."

All or nothing again... mostly nothing...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...s&fext=.jsp

no actually sammy I await the one where you hop and it's caught on the warning track.

Watched Prior's outing on TV today. Cub or not, it's sad to see a guy who had so much promise look as bad as he does now. He topped out at 88, but mostly was at 87 with his fastball. His curveball wasn't very effective and couldn't throw it for a strike. Gave up 4 runs in three innings, 3 walks and no Ks

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
Watched Prior's outing on TV today. Cub or not, it's sad to see a guy who had so much promise look as bad as he does now. He topped out at 88, but mostly was at 87 with his fastball. His curveball wasn't very effective and couldn't throw it for a strike. Gave up 4 runs in three innings, 3 walks and no Ks

Weren't the Twins considered idiots for passing on Prior for Mauer?

But if you compare the Twins organization compared to the Cubs and if it was reverse, the Twins probably would have turned Prior into a stud and Mauer would probably would be an underachieving backup up Catcher for them... that is how bad the Cubs org. has been these past several years.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)

But he pitched. I wouldn't write prior off. The guy has good mechanics and just really got screwed by the way he got broughten up with Baker just destroying young pitchers.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
But he pitched. I wouldn't write prior off. The guy has good mechanics and just really got screwed by the way he got broughten up with Baker just destroying young pitchers.

If Prior is let go by the Cubs after this season because of injury/bad preformance, I would gladly take him. I have always been a big fan of his, and I think he can become a very good pitcher still. If he is not offered arbitration after next season and becomes a free agent, I would give him an incentive laden deal to compete for a job, especially if Buehrle leaves. And if the Cubs decide to trade him it would only take a mid-level prospect to probably get him. Basically either we would have gotten a huge steal, or we just release/DFA him. It would be one of those high rewards, low risk things.

Also, his velocity did increase by a 2-3 mph from his last outing this spring. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting in the low 90's by the time the season starts, and if everything goes well, in the mid 90's half-way through the season.

I had something kind of cool happen to me today. I met up with the guys on my softball team at the Hitting Zone in Bartlett to have a few rounds of batting practice. On our way out I saw a guy who looked familiar to me and I realized it was Ron Kittle hanging out there, I dont know what for. I went up and shook his hand and he told us some stories about when he played softball in some tournament at a blueberry festival in Indiana, it was pretty funny. He was really cool, chatted with us and wished us luck on our season.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
I had something kind of cool happen to me today. I met up with the guys on my softball team at the Hitting Zone in Bartlett to have a few rounds of batting practice. On our way out I saw a guy who looked familiar to me and I realized it was Ron Kittle hanging out there, I dont know what for. I went up and shook his hand and he told us some stories about when he played softball in some tournament at a blueberry festival in Indiana, it was pretty funny. He was really cool, chatted with us and wished us luck on our season.

Let me guess, you didn't even bother to ask him about Barry Bonds. What the hell is the point of talking to Ron Kittle if you're not going to ask him the Barry Bonds story? Pussy.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
If Prior is let go by the Cubs after this season because of injury/bad preformance, I would gladly take him. I have always been a big fan of his, and I think he can become a very good pitcher still. If he is not offered arbitration after next season and becomes a free agent, I would give him an incentive laden deal to compete for a job, especially if Buehrle leaves. And if the Cubs decide to trade him it would only take a mid-level prospect to probably get him. Basically either we would have gotten a huge steal, or we just release/DFA him. It would be one of those high rewards, low risk things.

Also, his velocity did increase by a 2-3 mph from his last outing this spring. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hitting in the low 90's by the time the season starts, and if everything goes well, in the mid 90's half-way through the season.

It's going to cost way more than a mid-level prospect for Mark Prior. As s***ty as he's been, the Cubs have invested a ton of time into him, he still has promise, and he's still a starting pitcher. Joel Pineiro got a $4 million deal coming off a horrendous season to be brought in as a closer; Randy Wolf got a 1-year, $8 million deal and he didn't pitch last year; Jason Marquis got 3 years and $21 million for putting up the worst ERA f***ing ever last year (proven fact, I swear). You think you'd be able to get him for anything less than a 3 year deal or $8 mill for a year? I guaran-goddamn-tee that there is some crazy team out there that would be willing to guarantee him 3 years or $8 million for one year. So, not only would you not just be able to release him, but you have to depend upon him to stay healthy for a full year and hope and pray that he can be a solid #4. That's f'ing crazy, and something KW and JR have not shown a willingness to do.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
Let me guess, you didn't even bother to ask him about Barry Bonds. What the hell is the point of talking to Ron Kittle if you're not going to ask him the Barry Bonds story? Pussy.

Haha, it crossed my mind, but you are right. I pussed out

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 01:27 AM)
It's going to cost way more than a mid-level prospect for Mark Prior. As s***ty as he's been, the Cubs have invested a ton of time into him, he still has promise, and he's still a starting pitcher. Joel Pineiro got a $4 million deal coming off a horrendous season to be brought in as a closer; Randy Wolf got a 1-year, $8 million deal and he didn't pitch last year; Jason Marquis got 3 years and $21 million for putting up the worst ERA f***ing ever last year (proven fact, I swear). You think you'd be able to get him for anything less than a 3 year deal or $8 mill for a year? I guaran-goddamn-tee that there is some crazy team out there that would be willing to guarantee him 3 years or $8 million for one year. So, not only would you not just be able to release him, but you have to depend upon him to stay healthy for a full year and hope and pray that he can be a solid #4. That's f'ing crazy, and something KW and JR have not shown a willingness to do.

Its also looking more and more like he doesn't have a spot on the major league roster with the Cubs. Would it be worse for them to trade him, or send him to Iowa? Speaking personally, I'd be very interested, but I have a feeling he is having shoulder problems that might lead him to surgery if his velocity is that far down. I have no proof, just a hunch based on Cubs history with this kind of stuff.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:46 AM)
Its also looking more and more like he doesn't have a spot on the major league roster with the Cubs. Would it be worse for them to trade him, or send him to Iowa? Speaking personally, I'd be very interested, but I have a feeling he is having shoulder problems that might lead him to surgery if his velocity is that far down. I have no proof, just a hunch based on Cubs history with this kind of stuff.

Considering he was referred to as a "dark horse" for the 5th starters job, I'd definitely say he is on the outside looking in right now. As far as trading him or sending him to AAA, it really depends on what you could get in the trade market. If they could get a couple nice arms for him, I'd trade him in a heartbeat. If they can't get that - and I'm not sure they would - it's probably just a better bet to send him to AAA and hope and pray he can find his magic from 2003 again.

I would also agree with you as well on the injury aspect of it, and I wouldn't even be surprised if his entire arm is just completely shot right now. I don't know if Prior is even with a flyer at this point.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Considering he was referred to as a "dark horse" for the 5th starters job, I'd definitely say he is on the outside looking in right now. As far as trading him or sending him to AAA, it really depends on what you could get in the trade market. If they could get a couple nice arms for him, I'd trade him in a heartbeat. If they can't get that - and I'm not sure they would - it's probably just a better bet to send him to AAA and hope and pray he can find his magic from 2003 again.

I would also agree with you as well on the injury aspect of it, and I wouldn't even be surprised if his entire arm is just completely shot right now. I don't know if Prior is even with a flyer at this point.

With the arm that kid has when healthy, he is worth a flyer. Health being the key caveot. If he is healthy, then you are looking at a two pronged fix job in that both his mechanics and his mind are shot right now. The Sox have a pretty solid history of being able to fix that. If his shoulder is shot, forget it, he is done.