2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
He's fun to watch pitch. It's the hype machine that's been way over the top.

An hour long SportsCenter at 5, and 30+ minutes of the show was dedicated to Matsuzaka.

Exactly. And if I had a chance to draft either one of these guys, it would be a no-doubter to King Felix. Dice-k is effective right now, and has good stuff. But hes no pedro, Clemens, etc like they make him out to be.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are people thinking on Matsuzaka in the long run? Seems to me that most pitchers who come over from Japan or Korea have a habit of being virtually unhittable for a short period, like one or maybe 2 seasons tops, then once MLB players figure them out, they go downhill fast. Will this guy have the same problem, or no?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 06:44 AM)
What are people thinking on Matsuzaka in the long run? Seems to me that most pitchers who come over from Japan or Korea have a habit of being virtually unhittable for a short period, like one or maybe 2 seasons tops, then once MLB players figure them out, they go downhill fast. Will this guy have the same problem, or no?

It all depends on where his fastball is. Others have reported he can throw it up there in the upper 90's, and I haven't seen it yet. If he can throw mid to upper 90's, along with his selection of pitches and seeming ability to control them all, he can be good as long as he has his fastball. 5 + years. If he drops into the low 90's though, he can be a decent, Freddy Garcia 05 level pitcher for quite some time, because he has enough pitches with enough control and movement to mix things up.

From Jayson Stark's Rumblings and Grumblings:

Over their first nine games, 714 hitters marched up to home plate. Not one of them stepped into the box while the Nationals held a lead. (The only time they led in the one game they won, remember, was the moment the winning run crossed the plate in the ninth inning.) That's gotta be a record that will never be broken.

Mike Mussina strains a hamstring. Yankees consider moving Rivera to starter.

Josh Bard (Padres C) to the 15 day DL.

Arthur Rhodes (Mariners P) tore a ligament in hsi throwing arm and is considering season-ending surgery.

Jaret Wright to the DL, although the orioles are saying the trip will be short.

Edited by Balta1701

I really am not sure if I want Carl Crawford right now. What a f***ing idiot.

No outs, Zobrist on 1st, Crawford doubles to the wall off of Nathan. Zobrist is wisely held at 3rd, but Crawford doesn't give a s*** and tries for the triple. So, Zobrist runs towards home, for whatever reason, and Crawford is standing on 3rd. Zobrist runs back to 3rd, but it's pointless because Crawford is there and he'll be tagged out regardless - BUTTTTTTTTTTTT Crawford decides he needs to retreat to 2B, and is thus thrown out there.

There's a rally killing, and then there's that. I dont know how the Twins get so f***ing lucky, because this game should be atleast 3-2 right now going to the bottom of the 9th.

Somebody on that team owes the Sox a major f***up, because they have given Minnesota some ridiculous breaks in their history.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)

His offspeed stuff is OUTSTANDING, I think the variations of speed and amount of them he has alone will keep him good. His fastball though in general is going to be in the low 90's and straight as an arrow though, so he'll get hurt on that. Thing is, he's smart enough not to throw it a whole ton. I think the difference between if he'll be good or great is how well he can control the location of his fastball, because it's his one pitch he has to locate or else he'll get killed throwing it.

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
Zambrano with a bad outing today, 6hits 4BB, ERA at 7.88 with the chance for another run to be charged to him, bases loaded no one out.

Ron Santo is f***ing insane.

The cubs are up 5 zip, with their ace cruising and he has a Zambozo moment walks the world, gives up a bunch of runs and then the cubs are down 6-5 giving up 6 runs in one inning. Wuertz comes in and strikes out the side, and Santo goes thats the momentum changer.

Uh no, your ace and only good pitcher got pummelled again, at home and gave up 6 runs in one inning. Momentum is back to the team who came back from a 5 zip deficit. Enjoy your day you mope.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 05:00 AM)
Welcome to the Jungle, Eric Gagne returns with a save. I didn't see it but to strike out Ichiro, his changing of speeds must have been good

He threw all 93 mph fastballs to Ichiro. Gagne looked solid....but still a shell of how good he used to be. Ichiro is swinging an invisible wand right now.

Phil Rogers, thinks the D-rays are going to make a run at Lidge, and turn him into a starter, now i know looper is starting but come on. He also thinks the rays would have to give up Carl Crawford or Rocco Baldelli; wow, how does this guy have a job, honestly.

The rays give up one of their talented, young, cheap and long contracted OFers for a project closer with 2 years left and $5.35M price tag this year.

I could see the rays moving one of them but there would have to be more from the Astros coming back and i would think Tim Purpura would be a bit gun shy after the rays got Ben Zobrist & Mitch Talbot for Huff.

Something along the lines of Lidge, J.R. Towles & Jimmy Barthmaier/Matt Albers

i doubt they'd be able to pry pence, but you never know, Crawford and Baldelli are cost effective and are only going to get better.