2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

I say, God bless Edgar Renteria for refusing to take the sissification of baseball lying down.

Renteriaisahero.jpg

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
Im going back a few days on this quote, but what does this mean?

Molitor, right now, is a roving minor league instructor for the Twins

It means I admire Paul Molitor the man and the baseball player and the hitting instructor.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 08:00 PM)
Ichiro:

"To tell the truth, I'm not excited to go to Cleveland, but we have to. If I ever saw myself saying I'm excited going to Cleveland, I'd punch myself in the face, because I'm lying."

:lol:

If he's talking about the cold weather there, then we can probably forget about going after him this offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 10:14 PM)
If he's talking about the cold weather there, then we can probably forget about going after him this offseason.

Yeah I definitely think you're reading that wrong, greasy's right -- I'd think he's just talking about the crappiness that is Cleveland, not the cold.

Ichiro is without a doubt the best 'quote' in baseball. He's given some other gems, too. First (from WithLeather)...

On performance-enhancing drugs: “When you take steroids, it’s not as if wings grow out of your back, and you start flying all over the place and stealing home runs (from hitters).

Tiger Woods’ athleticism: “Tiger is a great golfer, but … when you say athlete, I think of Carl Lewis. When you talk about (golfers or race-car drivers), I don’t want to see them run. It’s the same if you were to meet a beautiful girl and go bowling. If she’s an ugly bowler, you are going to be disappointed.”

Next (this one's hilarious -- from Deadspin)...

"The ball became the same color as the sky,'' he said, through interpreter Ken Barron. "So, I wasn't able to see it ... I was sending mental signals for the ball not to come my way, because during that time of day it's impossible for me to see the ball so I lacked mental signals. I lacked in that area.'

"Usually, I don't send mental signals," Ichiro replied. "So, because this is the first time, I thought, please don't come my way."

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
Yeah I definitely think you're reading that wrong, greasy's right -- I'd think he's just talking about the crappiness that is Cleveland, not the cold.

Yeah, I hadn't read the article. I remember seeing a fascinating quote by Ichiro about how he wants to become a pitcher when he turns 40.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 05:14 PM)

I swear, if Jesus came back you'd say "ahh damn all that crazy stuff in Revelations is gonna kills us all now".

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 11:48 PM)
I swear, if Jesus came back you'd say "ahh damn all that crazy stuff in Revelations is gonna kills us all now".

Since when have you been in a position to criticize other people saying negative stuff? I even admitted later on that I hadn't seen the article....I just wanted to make sure that Ichiro wasn't referring to the cold....you know, since people have already started to pencil him into the lineup.

EDIT: We know very little about what Ichiro is looking for in terms of his next team. We do know that he's looking for a team that can compete for the World Series next year. Between our likely .500 or so record this year, and him complaining about the cold, I didn't think it was a good sign for us. That's all....not much more to it. I don't think we'll get him next year, as he's going to get a ton of money and we'd be better off trying to get someone younger and save some of the money to upgrade in other positions like SS.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
Since when have you been in a position to criticize other people saying negative stuff? I even admitted later on that I hadn't seen the article....I just wanted to make sure that Ichiro wasn't referring to the cold....you know, since people have already started to pencil him into the lineup.

EDIT: We know very little about what Ichiro is looking for in terms of his next team. We do know that he's looking for a team that can compete for the World Series next year. Between our likely .500 or so record this year, and him complaining about the cold, I didn't think it was a good sign for us. That's all....not much more to it. I don't think we'll get him next year, as he's going to get a ton of money and we'd be better off trying to get someone younger and save some of the money to upgrade in other positions like SS.

Yeah, at this point, it's starting to look difficult to believe that Mr. Ichiro will be that interested in Chicago's AL team, given the draft position we'll be looking @ next year and the fact that Buehrle, Dye, and Iguchi are probably not long for this side of the city.

Harold Reynolds has joined mlb.com and will be on every weekday at 1pm central time on their online baseballchannel.tv.

He started off with a bang talking about the ESPN firing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
I kid you not when I report that the last two nights on Baseball Tonight, Dusty Baker has talked about how great of a player Neifi Perez is.

And hence his role as a talking head on an increasingly lousy baseball show and not on the field managing.