2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
f***, I missed Gallardo's debut for the Brewers. Anybody see it? Final line looks very impressive. Good that they finally brought him up -- now Gio can take over as the minor league strikeout king.

He got passed for second place when he had that rain shortened outing (1K?) followed by a low strikeout game in his next time out.

Kershaw leads in K/9.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
f***, I missed Gallardo's debut for the Brewers. Anybody see it? Final line looks very impressive. Good that they finally brought him up -- now Gio can take over as the minor league strikeout king.

He was ok. Threw a lot of balls it seemed. Wanna see him pitch against a better team than SF.

A guy seemingly getting no attention at all this year is Carlos Pena. He's having an absolutely fantastic year, perhaps one that may turn him into one of the next great sluggers in the league. .314/.404/.669/1.073 with 16 homers and 29 XBHs. Kind of funny, because the last organization he was with - the Red Sox - were the ones to turn Papi into what he is today. I wonder if it's at all possible that they hold the secret to turning slow, powerful, left-handed bats into sluggers.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
A guy seemingly getting no attention at all this year is Carlos Pena. He's having an absolutely fantastic year, perhaps one that may turn him into one of the next great sluggers in the league. .314/.404/.669/1.073 with 16 homers and 29 XBHs. Kind of funny, because the last organization he was with - the Red Sox - were the ones to turn Papi into what he is today. I wonder if it's at all possible that they hold the secret to turning slow, powerful, left-handed bats into sluggers.

Remember when the Sox signed Erstad and you brought up Pena's name in the "Erstad Signs" thread as a possible backup 1B for the Sox? You're like some sort of baseball genius.

The Rangers extended the contract of GM Jon Daniels today for an additional year, locking him up through 2009 despite the fact the pretty much every move he's made since taking over the position has been a failure.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
Remember when the Sox signed Erstad and you brought up Pena's name in the "Erstad Signs" thread as a possible backup 1B for the Sox? You're like some sort of baseball genius.

I do; and then the Sox could have used him in LF and 1B when Thome goes down, even as disasterous as that would have been, it would have been so worth it.

Picky, Picky...

MLB suspended RHP Chad Qualls three games for throwing a ball into the stands during Monday's game.

Qualls was upset after giving up three runs to the Angels, so when the inning was over, he took the baseball and fired it into the upper deck. Apparently, that's frowned upon.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 06:11 PM)
Picky, Picky...

MLB suspended RHP Chad Qualls three games for throwing a ball into the stands during Monday's game.

Qualls was upset after giving up three runs to the Angels, so when the inning was over, he took the baseball and fired it into the upper deck. Apparently, that's frowned upon.

lame.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
Picky, Picky...

I want to see a suspension every time someone flips a ball in the stands either on a foul or to end an inning.

And another Rotoworld bit:

Miguel Tejada, who suffered a bruised wrist Wednesday, was pulled for a pinch-runner after bunting into a fielder's choice in the first inning of Thursday's game.

How ridiculous. Tejada's consecutive games streak is worthless if this is what he'll do to extend it. The Orioles knew in advance that this was how it would play out, as they moved Tejada up to the second spot in the order to accomodate him. We're certainly not questioning Tejada's toughness, but if he was too hurt to play, he should have been a man and sat out. Jun. 21 - 4:16 pm et

Couldn't agree more.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
I read that that Sox former manager The Scarecrow may be up for the O's job now that Girardi turned it down. Manual has been rejected a few times already so this may be one of his last chances.

IMO, Manuel makes a ton of sense for that team, as much as any coach can right now, given that it's entirely a transition period and he's got to be a guy looking to just get another short stint somewhere on his resume.