2007 MLB Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

yes, the curse has nothing to do with a GM who spent $300m in the offseason and didn't improve OBP and still have shaky pitching depth

(I've posted it before, but after the dust settled, the fact that the Cubs spent all that money and didn't sign Schmidt blows my mind)

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
yes, the curse has nothing to do with a GM who spent $300m in the offseason and didn't improve OBP and still have shaky pitching depth

(I've posted it before, but after the dust settled, the fact that the Cubs spent all that money and didn't sign Schmidt blows my mind)

I think their pitching depth is fine.

Their pitching talent on the other hand...is troublesome. They're sort of the polar opposite of the Mets. The Cubs have a lot of guys who can throw the ball but very few with decent stuff. The Mets have very few guys who can throw the ball, but the guys they do have have a lot of talent.

OK, this doesn't deserve its own thread, but Levine on ESPN Radio just said the reason Mark Prior has so many shoulder and elbow injuries is because he's "Double jointed" and has so much flexability. He then said that he knew this for awhile, but people at the Cubs told him to keep it quiet. He said how other athletes have had this problem and they weren't able to overcome it.

I don't know what to make of that, but that's not my lame attempt at humor. That is what he said, without me adding anything.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 10, 2007 -> 08:48 PM)
I'd never heard that one before.

I hadn't either, but it's like, what would it matter if it was Crisco or Vagisil? It's obvious why it was on his hand, and I'm more concerned with that than what it actually is.

Not trying to kill the messenger

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Everytime this guys pitches against the sox they should check him for the foreign substance.

I doubt they will.

Forgive me the bold assertion but I've always been under the impression that Buehrle uses pinetar because he's said so. Of course he cleaned it up a little and said, "If I get some on my hands, I don't wipe it off," instead of outright saying "I use it" but he also said, "Hitters get to use it; why can't we?" so I doubt that Guillen would like to put his own pitchers through scrutiny, which was essentially why LaRussa didn't challenge it.

Besides that, it's generally accepted that you don't challenge that kind of thing. That's why Frank Robinson was going to kill Mike Scoscia.