KW on with North

G&T

I'll give a recap.

Thinks BMac will be a good pitcher, but used the word "serviceable." He's not worried about any critics because he trusts his scouts.

Does not think that putting BMac into the pen hurt him, and says there was no problem with him talking about his dislike of the pen on the radio.

He was going to battle Floyd anyway because Floyd has a group of pitches that will work better in The Cell. KW believes that people will agree with him in the end.

Wants to win now and in the future, but teams are reluctant to trade talent now, so he had to strike now or have a 100 loss season in a couple years.

KW feels that Danks and Gio are the best lefty prospects in the game because of all the movement on their fastballs, which will play better in their park. North points out that BMac did not have that, and KW generally agrees but thinks he can change his arm slot to get more movement.

The deal was just as much about Masset, who can move into the pen now. Also sees him as a possible starter, but KW didn't sound like he expected that to happen.

::commercial::

Edited by G&T

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, Williams says McCarthy will have a servicable career, and says McCarthy's public comments about his role on the team didn't bother him, and had no factor in moving him. He was simply going into camp with a big battle with Gavin Floyd who has the type of stuff to succeed in US Cellular.

North gives Williams the benefit of the doubt for the moves, and has said so now about 3 times.

Williams on the young pitching: We can't live (moving the young players) the way we were - in Gonzalez and Denks, the Sox have two of the best pitching prosepects in the game, and have good movement on their fastballs (key at home). In comparison to some of the pitchers he now has, McCarthy's fastball did not have that movement, but he has shown the ability to adapt - this trade was as much about Massot going in the bullpen (just a tick less than Bobb Jenks in MPH) as acquring Denks.

North will now take calls from the listeners (interesting that his two co-hosts, Fred and Annie, don't get to ask questions. Let Annie ask a question, she's qualified!)

CF Job:

Williams "We played with it a little bit. We weren't happy with the overall production, but the alternatives out there didn't fit with us. The trade's out there didn't work - ridiculous asking prices. Were the Phillies one of th teams ? Yes. Williams loves Aaron Rowand. Would he have wanted him back ? Refuses to answer the question becuase of his current players, but obviously, the answer is yes.

On Brian Anderson being over-cocky: Williams has talked to him about a few things - needing to fit into the major league lifestyle, there's a growth period, he'll be all right.

On Podsednik: Maybe what we have, and they've proven they can play at a championship style level, in Chicago, you'd better keep what you have, they had a down year, but who doesn't ?

On the starting pitching: Burhle, Contreras, Vazquez, Garland to have rebound years because they are rested.

Caller 1:

Thome and Buerhle's health: The stressful innings/the load pitching the extra innings (month of playoffs) hurt Buerhle tired out the staff, and that's why he traded for Vazquez. We'll be better off that he got rest...No answer on Thome's health.

They are not happy with the overall centerfield situation last year, but the prices were ridiculous in trades. They did try to get Rowand who KW really likes.

North points out that BA is overly cocky, and KW has talked to him about that.

North likes Pods coming back even though he sucked. KW couldn't justify paying anyone else so much more money. Pods may have only had a down year. KW thinks that the microscope of Chicago is tough.

KW thinks the starters will come back strong.

He says they were tired out, and that he talked to John Smoltz and others about pitchers in the playoffs. Smoltz said every inning down the stretch and in the playoffs is like 2 innings.

A caller says that Thome started out "gangbangers." KW never really addresses this comment.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:15 AM)
::commercial::

On the Score? no way! Long live Sirius.

When is the Bookie Priest going to come on? That is always ingenius.

Ok, done making fun of North. Sounds like KW is very confident in what he has done. I'm excited to get baseball going. The Bears will be over soon, after they lose their first playoff game, and I need me some baseball.

Detroit's young pitching staff, Minnesota's team, how much of these moves had to do with keeping pace ? You'd better analyze your competition.

Would you take Detroit's staff over the White Sox ? No, but Williams belives their staff is going to be tired.

Williams on the bullpen: People always want the veteran names, this will be one of the best bullpens in the league.

Caller 2:

Now that Ross Gload is gone, how do we fill his void (what ?):

Williams: "Thome is the DH, we'll give him a break with a lefty on the mound. Toby Hall can rest Thome, Mackowiak can be the jack of all trades (LF/RF/3B/1B) and Cintron can move around the infield. The important thing is we got Cisco, another power arm, a Rule 5 guy who was tipping his pitches, and never got a chance to develop.

Crede's situation:

Williams: Josh Fields is ready now. Crede will need a break here and there - his condition is what it is. When a guy tells you he doesn't need surgury, Williams will be ok with that. We'll just have to see how this plays out. I'm optimstic, it will flare up, we'll just have to deal with it. I'm friendly with Boras, just not his price tags - I'm continually amazed at what he gets on the market, and I'm not going to play that game.

Mack will take over Gload's job. Why a caller would ask this is beyond me.

Sisco never got a chance to develop and they think he's been tipping his pitches which they can correct. Sounds like he will be in the pen.

Fields is ready, and Crede will need breaks. As for the surgery talk, he prefers not sending guys to surgery. Says he gets along with Boras, just not the price tags.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:37 AM)
Mack will take over Gload's job. Why a caller would ask this is beyond me.

Yeah, because brainiacs listen to Mike North...a hot dog vendor.

Now you guys got me listening. Can't wait to hear more bad questions, after all these f***ing commercials.

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Two quick thoughts:

- KW mentioned that they're still looking at some guys for CF.

- KW seems anything but confident in Anderson and Podsednik.

Yeah, he seems to be saying all the things about Anderson and Pods that he was saying about Bmac when he got traded. For example, "I don't want to talk about other players we are 'enamored with' when we have young guys that have to carry the load for us and we will have to depend on."

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Two quick thoughts:

- KW mentioned that they're still looking at some guys for CF.

- KW seems anything but confident in Anderson and Podsednik.

I'd disagree about Podsednik - he did say that he's coming a down year, but who hasn't ? He also mentioned that Pods can deal with the Chicago landscape. As far as CF, Yes, he did say that, but I got the impression any names that could be had would be nothing more than scapegoats.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
I'd disagree about Podsednik - he did say that he's coming a down year, but who hasn't ? He also mentioned that Pods can deal with the Chicago landscape. As far as CF, Yes, he did say that, but I got the impression any names that could be had would be nothing more than scapegoats.

He definitely didn't give a glowing review of Pods and Anderson. When you start saying things like "we know they can handle playing in Chicago"....that's like saying "she has a nice personality".

The market will dictate where guys like MB will land. He tried to extend him last year but he wouldn't do it. KW finds these contracts ridiculous and usually they don't work well. Fans don't want to hear about the financial side and its realities, but in time they will agree with him.

Ozzie might have given the Twins motivation with his comments about their team, and KW wasn't happy with the comments about getting 95 wins. He just wants to win.

With the attendance, can the White Sox compete given the market ? We have given players (Burehle, Garland, Konerko) contracts, so it's unfair to say the White Sox have no interest in signing players. The market will dictate what we do. When Mark was struggling last year, we went to him, and talked to him about an extension - it didn't work then, and it certainly won't work now. Long-term extensions historically don't work out for the club. I won't mortage the future of the franchise - I can't enter into too many long-term deals, and would lose flexibiltiy on putting together a good team. Some of the moves this off-season will go a long way in giving us flexibility.

Williams on Frank Thomas: I give him credit becuase he still played in pain, obvious the way he was running.

Williams on getting rid of the lefty Cotts: Neil takes the job very seriously, one of our hardest workers. He was expendable because we had Matt Thorton, Logan can get lefties (and righties) out in the back of the bullpen as time goes on. Plus, we liked who we got back, both playes, in the trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
He definitely didn't give a glowing review of Pods and Anderson. When you start saying things like "we know they can handle playing in Chicago"....that's like saying "she has a nice personality".

I like Anderson, but he is going to still struggle at least another season or so. Pods is truely one of the worst regular players in baseball. I don't understand the logic of letting a guy who doesn't get on base that much, who gets himself out a lot on the basepaths, and a guy with really horrible baserunning instincts, I have seen him not get an extra base numerous times, while guys with half his "speed" take an extra base easily, not to mention his defensive shortcomings, lead off, let alone play regularly. If Pods is leading off for the White Sox in 2007, 2007 will be dissapointing for White Sox fans.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)

Guess we disagree on Pods - I never said he gave a glowing review of either, in fact, I have said now 3 times that Williams says Pods had a down year - that's not glowing. I just believe, based on Kenny's comments, that he's more down on Anderson than Podsednik. Wiliams, as you mentioned, indicated, that he could be looking for other possibilites still for CF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
I like Anderson, but he is going to still struggle at least another season or so. Pods is truely one of the worst regular players in baseball. I don't understand the logic of letting a guy who doesn't get on base that much, who gets himself out a lot on the basepaths, and a guy with really horrible baserunning instincts, I have seen him not get an extra base numerous times, while guys with half his "speed" take an extra base easily, not to mention his defensive shortcomings, lead off, let alone play regularly. If Pods is leading off for the White Sox in 2007, 2007 will be dissapointing for White Sox fans.

I agree with everything except the last part. Pods has little effect on their winning if the team pitches. But he is bad at everything. Just have to look at Mackowiac to see a guy with half the speed but twice the base running smarts.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)

As Williams said though, did you want to give a player a ridiculous free agent contract who hasn't done much more than Podsednik or keep him for one more season ??

I'll take Podsednik for 1 year, 2.8 million over some 5 year/50 million we saw for a Gary Matthews.

And yes, if there is an upgrade available for Pods in LF, I'm all for it, but I just don't want to overpay for a guy.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Guess we disagree on Pods - I never said he gave a glowing review of either, in fact, I have said now 3 times that Williams says Pods had a down year - that's not glowing. I just believe, based on Kenny's comments, that he's more down on Anderson than Podsednik. Wiliams, as you mentioned, indicated, that he could be looking for other possibilites still for CF.

Agreed, but would have moved both if he could have. At the least, KW seems very comfortable with what he has.

I also find it funny that after a long interview, the only sound the Score played of it in their update was that KW wanted Rowand but couldn't get him.

KW mentioned that Sisco went straight from A ball to the bigs due to the rule 5 draft and that hurt his development. KW also said that the White Sox have spotted something that was tipping his pitches and it should be easily fixed.(almost missed that due to North rambling) He also felt that even though there may not be big names, he thinks the bullpen will be one of the best in the league next year.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
Agreed, but would have moved both if he could have. At the least, KW seems very comfortable with what he has.

I really thought he's comfortable with the future of our pitching, but he was very disappointed in how the market exploded this offseason, and how that impacted his plans to upgrade the outfield.

A new poster here,Hello everyone.If we find a decent 5th starter I think we have a good chance to make the playoffs.I do believe our SP will rebound from last year.

But if Beurles goes out and rights his ship,KW made me believe that he is gone.I was hoping to keep him and Garland around for a while to help these young arms.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
I really thought he's comfortable with the future of our pitching, but he was very disappointed in how the market exploded this offseason, and how that impacted his plans to upgrade the outfield.

It's the prices that make him comfortable with what he has, and yes, I think he would have upgraded if the prices weren't ridiculous. He kept talking about flexibility and not having a giant contract keep him from competing down the line. If there's a move to make to upgrade the outfield, he will do it.

He seems really happy and proud with what he has done with the pitching. Basically he's trying to create a rotation that plays in that park, which is good to hear.