Soxtalk Community Prediction: AJ Pierzynski

Heads22

Ozzie, who likes to rest most of his guys regularly (except PK), will start Hall most of the time against LHP. But, if Haeger makes the club and one C or the other is better at handling him, that will throw a wrench in the works. Either way, AJ will get fewer plate appearances, and benefit from that.

.295/12/65, with the usual solid defense and an improvement in pitch-calling. Plus a couple tussles.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
Ozzie, who likes to rest most of his guys regularly (except PK), will start Hall most of the time against LHP. But, if Haeger makes the club and one C or the other is better at handling him, that will throw a wrench in the works. Either way, AJ will get fewer plate appearances, and benefit from that.

.295/12/65, with the usual solid defense and an improvement in pitch-calling. Plus a couple tussles.

Some players need the regular ABs. What makes you believe the rest will help? Plus, I'm not certain resting him that much is good for the pitching staff.

I seem to be the only one that thinking AJ on the bench for a bunch of games is not a plus for the team.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
Some players need the regular ABs. What makes you believe the rest will help? Plus, I'm not certain resting him that much is good for the pitching staff.

I seem to be the only one that thinking AJ on the bench for a bunch of games is not a plus for the team.

ahem

I want AJ behind the dish for 125 -135 games.

AJ is a catcher, he is no longer what I would call young, and he is a big guy. All of that contributes to significant wear and tear. I'd be happy with him sitting for 30 games a year.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 01:53 PM)
AJ is a catcher, he is no longer what I would call young, and he is a big guy. All of that contributes to significant wear and tear. I'd be happy with him sitting for 30 games a year.

That's what he has done for most of his career. Last year was his busiest, but he has usually caught around 130. Maybe that's why I'm confused about the talk about him sitting more. He sat 22 last year. I thought these sitting comments meant dropping down to 100-110 from the 130 he has average since becoming a starter.

AJ getting regular Ab's vs LHP seemed to hurt him even vs RHP. Not to mention he isnt getting any younger, and Hall is more of a catcher than ANY backup we have had in a long time. Together they could hit .300+ in a slight platoon, which is a huge plus for us.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)

In terms of the pitching staff, some of that depends on Hall's performance...but I don't think I'm the only one who remembers that AJ seemed much less popular with the Staff in 06 than in 05. I mean, if nothing else, they traded for Sandy Alomar Jr., who became Mark Buehrle's personal catcher in the 2nd half of the year. Isn't that at least to some extent a criticism of AJ's pitch calling with Buehrle?

In terms of the pitching staff, some of that depends on Hall's performance...but I don't think I'm the only one who remembers that AJ seemed much less popular with the Staff in 06 than in 05. I mean, if nothing else, they traded for Sandy Alomar Jr., who became Mark Buehrle's personal catcher in the 2nd half of the year. Isn't that at least to some extent a criticism of AJ's pitch calling with Buehrle?

Good point, and possibly could be true. But looking at Mark's second half performance, I'm guessing it wasn't AJ's fault. It could have been Mark scapegoating and the team looking for a quick fix. And I am not criticizing Hall in any case and think this is one position we have clear it improved our situation from last year.

A lot of people are assuming AJ will sit against most lefties, but in that radio interview, didn't KW say that Hall is an option at DH if/when Thome needed a break? That would put both catchers in the starting line up. Is there any chance that Stewart may be on the big league team? What if Haeger were to win the 5th starter spot?

I don't think Oz is dumb enough to piss off A.J. by cutting his at bats too many.

Like AJ said in that one quote, our division is full of lefties and he doesn't want

his at bats sliced by a significant margin.

I do tire of seeing lefty starters mow down the Sox, though.