Jim Parque attempting a comeback

maggsmaggs

aahh yes..every once in awhile we hear a name from that 2000 AL Central Champion 'kids can play' team. That was a fun season..hell i've been a Sox fan my whole life but that season got me addicted to White Sox baseball. And i've been addicted ever since. I hope Parque can find a team and move his way up back to the majors...

• 4 weeks later...
Parque, who last pitched in the majors in 2003, has been living in Seattle. He moved there because he liked the city and had a brother in the area. He established a baseball academy that has turned into a profitable business.

The school, Big League Edge, employs 30 instructors who work with about 400 advanced players per week. He was there one day last July when he discovered his arm finally had recovered from the shoulder problems that first surfaced while he was winning 13 games for Jerry Manuel's division-winning White Sox in 2000.

Parque was standing on the mound when a junior-college prospect stung him with an attempt at a joke.

"Oh, there's the has-been!" the kid called out.

Parque invited him to try hitting against him. The first pitch he threw, perhaps with a little anger flashing through him, was an 82-m.p.h. fastball that blew past the startled hitter over the middle of the plate.

"I hadn't thrown anything that hard in two years," Parque said. "I didn't really know what to think."

Parque was throwing barely in the low-80s when he started Game 1 of the playoff series against Seattle in 2000. He eventually had surgery to repair his labrum and from 2001 to 2003 held together to work only 72 innings. He migrated from the White Sox to Tampa Bay and got out of baseball when he failed to land a job with Arizona in the spring of 2004.

"To put it bluntly, my shoulder, after the surgery, just never came back," Parque told the Seattle Times. "It was garbage. Some days it would rain and there would be pain. Even on a good day, it was just a dull ache."

Parque said he believes he tried to rush his comeback from surgery. He said the shoulder capsule that shrank during the operation needed years to stretch back out again.

After that first fastball last July, Parque began playing catch regularly and was encouraged sufficiently to start working out seriously. He steadily gained velocity, climbing into the 85-88 m.p.h. range, he said. He tried out for a handful of teams and Seattle offered him a minor-league deal.

"It's win-win for everyone," said Parque, who just turned 32. "I didn't leave baseball because I was too old or tired. I left because I got hurt. This was the first time I felt like my arm was back to normal."

Parque is a huge long shot to win a job in spring training. The Mariners seem fairly set with Jeff Weaver, Felix Hernandez, Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista, Horacio Ramirez and Jake Woods, but Washburn and Ramirez have health questions of their own.

If he can pitch well enough to start in the Triple-A rotation, Parque could surface early. His contract includes a clause that will allow him to go elsewhere if he is still in the minors after May.

He can't wait to face hitters again.

"I still have the competitive desire and the know-how," he said. "That part never left me."

• 3 weeks later...

From RotoWorld:

Jim Parque began his comeback bid with two scoreless innings Sunday against the Giants.

He allowed three hits, but all of them were singles, and he struck out three while walking none. Parque is a long shot to make the Mariners out of spring training, but it's believed he's willing to head to Triple-A for the beginning of the year.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Mar 9, 2007 -> 06:55 AM)
The Royals beat Jim up yesterday.

IP 1 H3 R3 ER3 BB1 K0 Non Roster invite Billy Butler took him long.

So after 2 outings:

ERA9.00 IP3 H6 R6 ER6 HR1 HB1 BB1 K3

Wouldn't his stat like be...

ERA9.00 IP3 H6 R3 ER3 HR1 HB1 BB1 K3

He gawn.

From RotoWorld:

Mariners reassigned LHP Jim Parque, RHP Carlos Alvarado, RHP Jesse Foppert, RHP Juan Sandoval, C Luis Oliveros and 3B Matt Tuiasosopo to minor league camp; optioned LHP Travis Blackley and LHP Ryan Rowland-Smith to Triple-A Tacoma.

Parque surrendered nine runs in 3 2/3 innings to spoil his comeback bid this spring. Maybe he'll get a look if he can turn in a couple of strong months in Triple-A.

And the White Sox helped!