Sleeper Prospect

Heads22

I classify a sleeper as somebody who doesn't appear on most Top 10-15 lists.

With that in mind, I'd list Clayton Richard and John Shelby.

Richard is a big groundballing lefty that has an abnormally high hit rate, but the ability to keep the ball in the park.

Shelby is a toolsy 2B out of UofK who hasn't played above Rookie ball.

I'd agree on Shelby, I'm gonna watch him closely this coming season. Those that have seen him from around here which I have spoken to, which there are a few, really like this kid. I'm hoping he can emerge this season as our 2B of the future and am optimistic he could move to high-A this year.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)
Pedro Lopez for some reason comes to my mind when I think about this. He's been a great career hitter in the minors, and he's only 22.

I don't agree one bit on that. The reason Lopez is so limited as a prospect is that he doesn't project to be that good of a hitter at the MLB level.

In fact he's one of the best defensive guys we have in the minors yet he's held back by a weak stick IMO.

I've got a few;

1 - Jose Zazueta - 19 year old Mexican pitcher who pitched fairly well down at Rookie Ball. He may repeat there, or we could maybe see him in Kanny, if I was going to pick a pitcher who was going to be our next Dan Cortes, it'd be him.

2 - Salvardo Sanchez - Yeah he's been in the system for a little while and not really done much, but I'm hoping he's at least starting to get a better grasp on things such as plate discipline and making contact. So he's a guy I could certainly see having better numbers than last year.

3 - Richard Brooks. Same as Sanchez but a more high profile pitcher. Struggled at Kanny last season, and will probably repeat I'd guess, and if he does, he should be a lot better than he was last season.

4 - Ray Liotta. Has fallen off the map big time. Kind of like the Meyer (who was part of the Hudson package) scenario. But he's a guy who I think can get back to where he was at the start of last season in terms of his standing within the organization.

And sorry Ace, no Matt Neurighner (I know I didn't spell that right) this season as my sleeper. :P

Idonno if he qualifies as a sleeper but im really looking forward to seeing what Lucas Harrel can bring to the table in double A this season. Ive seen him pitch once and I really like him as a prospect so hoping he can have a great season.

Also 2 guys ill definitely be watching are Carter and Gomes.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
I don't agree one bit on that. The reason Lopez is so limited as a prospect is that he doesn't project to be that good of a hitter at the MLB level.

In fact he's one of the best defensive guys we have in the minors yet he's held back by a weak stick IMO.

Lopez's Stats

He has some respectable hitting numbers in there. Outside of 2005, where he was pushed to Charlotte to start the year, he's been decent. Age is an important factor here as well. He was one of the younger players in Bham in 05 and Charlotte in 06. His 06 numbers in Bham were actually good and he held his own in Charlotte. If he develops a bit more, which is almost par for the course at his age, he would be a solid utility guy in his career. He is known for his glove as you mentioned, can play 3 positions (2B, SS, and for some reason I think he's played some 3B in the minors though I could be wrong), and brings good speed to the table. If he could draw walks at a decent rate he'd be ready now, but he is going to have to hit .280+ at the big league level to be respectable and I don't think he's capable of that.

As for sleepers I'll have to look up some names to refresh my memory before I make a selection.

Sleeper: Carlos Vasquez

Rebound player (formerly hailed as a top 10): Robert Valido

Older prospect to have some impact with parent club soon: Casey Rogowski (lefty back-up OF/1B) to take place of Gload...

Mackowiak will be traded (Fields is ready for 3B call-up if Crede gets hurt, Sox loaded with corner outfield prospects to back-up Dye and Pods in Sweeney/Anderson loser and Owens) if Rogo has a good spring.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lopez's Stats

He has some respectable hitting numbers in there. Outside of 2005, where he was pushed to Charlotte to start the year, he's been decent. Age is an important factor here as well. He was one of the younger players in Bham in 05 and Charlotte in 06. His 06 numbers in Bham were actually good and he held his own in Charlotte. If he develops a bit more, which is almost par for the course at his age, he would be a solid utility guy in his career. He is known for his glove as you mentioned, can play 3 positions (2B, SS, and for some reason I think he's played some 3B in the minors though I could be wrong), and brings good speed to the table. If he could draw walks at a decent rate he'd be ready now, but he is going to have to hit .280+ at the big league level to be respectable and I don't think he's capable of that.

As for sleepers I'll have to look up some names to refresh my memory before I make a selection.

What the...I was looking at Lopez stats on another site and it gave me different stats, like a .300 hitter in the minors. Well looking at those stats, they are about average. And IMO he really isn't that bad at taking a walk, although he does sport a .324 OBP.

I like Justin Cassel. He didn't get a shot as a starter until later in the season, but did very well at Great Falls and got a shot at Winston-Salem before the year was out. Give him a full season as a starter and watch him develop a ton this year.

I also like Maurice Gartrell, but I don't know much about him. Kind of just a hunch.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 06:16 AM)
I like Justin Cassel. He didn't get a shot as a starter until later in the season, but did very well at Great Falls and got a shot at Winston-Salem before the year was out. Give him a full season as a starter and watch him develop a ton this year.

I also like Maurice Gartrell, but I don't know much about him. Kind of just a hunch.

I was just about to say the same, I think he has a lot of potential and will become a real prospect after this upcoming season is over.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Edwards LHP 19 low A 4-4 3.90ERA 67IP 60H 6HR 22BB 43SO 1.22WHIP - The small lefty doesn't have electric stuff, but he knows how to pitch and get the most out of his ability.

De Los Santos RHP 21 low A 4-2 2.54ERA 63.2IP 35H 2HR 28BB 74SO .99WHIP - I don't think anyone has mentioned him, but I know a lot of people like him as a sleeper. His fastball is consistently in the low 90's and hits the mid 90's on occasion.

Hernandez C 21 low A .293/4/27 16BB/18SO .852OPS - He once was considered a top prospect, but has really fallen off. It appears that he is finally putting together a solid full season of pro ball. I like his plate discipline and I think that will help him as he advances.

Schnurstein 1B 22 high A .304/16/43 26BB/53SO .994OPS - I think he is worth mentioning because he isn't a top prospect. The true test will be when he is promoted to AA. Not only is Birmingham a great pitchers park, but a lot of prospect struggle with the jump from A ball to AA.

Two guys who are currently hurt worth keeping an eye on are Getz and Cassell. Two guys that the Sox drafted who I think can be considered sleepers in Gallegher and Miranda.