Damn, Marketing Got Me, Maybe :-)

Texsox

Sitting here annoyed at my HP Pavilion laptop that has been a great performing tank of a laptop for years. But the second battery just died, I see a small crack in the hinge, the speaker out is getting touchy, and the hard drive is stuffed full. So I decided I should start thinking about researching a new laptop. Jump to my email and . . .

Boom, the great cosmos marketers from Dell dropped a email into my box and 5 minutes later I bought a Inspiron E1705. Dual Core 1.733, 120G SATA, 17" display. DVD burner. I've never owned a Dell laptop, and I heard this sucker is huge with that 17" display and all. Not exactly a slick portable, but I will be using it a lot as a desktop replacement and believe the extra weight will be worth it.

Now the loooong wait for Dell to ship on the 15th.

Sooo cool, the skins http://dell.skinit.com/devices//dell_inspi...p;deviceId=1185

Next Tuesday is Steve Jobs keynote at Macworld, or when Steve announces all the new cool hardware and software. You could of gotten a new macbook. :bang Actualy, I have my eye on a new dual quad core mac pro for my work desktop which is what I think he is going to announce. Maybe I could hold out for the 8 core boxes that will come out.

For a PC the Dells are pretty good laptops. You will like it.

Edited by southsideirish71

I was just trying to remember all my laptops and for certain I've had a HP, Sony, Toshiba, and IBM (briefly, stolen on day 2 from my tech support guys). I think I've had a Dell, but maybe not.

I like the looks of a Mac, but can't get past the price/performance and after my son's iPod disasters, I swore I'd never spend a dime for one of their products.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
I have 4 Dells. 2 latitude d600's 1 optiplex gx300 and I just got a brand new latitude d620 with a core duo 2ghz with 1 gig of mem and 80 gig HD.

Love all of them

The only annoyance I had with my HP was the power connector would become upplugged really easily. How well does the Dell "stick"?

I understand these can get a little hot, but since it will be spending most of the time on a desk, I'm not too worried.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
The only annoyance I had with my HP was the power connector would become upplugged really easily. How well does the Dell "stick"?

I understand these can get a little hot, but since it will be spending most of the time on a desk, I'm not too worried.

The power cord seems to stay in fine with my new model, that was somewhat of a worry with ONE of my older laptops. They do get somewhat hot, but the fan does a good job of cooling it. Also I have a docking station that keep the unit about an inch off of my desk, which helps it as well.

The only thing I ALWAYS worry about with Dells is that the harddrives for some reason like to fail on you in the first few months. I have had this happen twice with the same Laptop, and its easily fixed. I would say back up your stuff quickly at first. All in all, I love my dells.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
The power cord seems to stay in fine with my new model, that was somewhat of a worry with ONE of my older laptops. They do get somewhat hot, but the fan does a good job of cooling it. Also I have a docking station that keep the unit about an inch off of my desk, which helps it as well.

The only thing I ALWAYS worry about with Dells is that the harddrives for some reason like to fail on you in the first few months. I have had this happen twice with the same Laptop, and its easily fixed. I would say back up your stuff quickly at first. All in all, I love my dells.

I read the hard drives may be a problem, and I thought it may be linked with the heat. I better pick up an external as well, thanks for the tip.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
I read the hard drives may be a problem, and I thought it may be linked with the heat. I better pick up an external as well, thanks for the tip.

I have heard things like that, and I had it happen to one of my computers and I hated it, but once it was replaced it was all good. My last two have been fine. And my new latitude with the core duo screams, it kicks serious ass in WoW

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 03:17 PM)
Next Tuesday is Steve Jobs keynote at Macworld, or when Steve announces all the new cool hardware and software. You could of gotten a new macbook. :bang Actualy, I have my eye on a new dual quad core mac pro for my work desktop which is what I think he is going to announce. Maybe I could hold out for the 8 core boxes that will come out.

For a PC the Dells are pretty good laptops. You will like it.

I'm about to submit a work purchase order for a new 17" dual core MacBook Pro (not enough budget for a new desktop machine). Do you know if Jobs is announcing new laptops this round?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
I'm about to submit a work purchase order for a new 17" dual core MacBook Pro (not enough budget for a new desktop machine). Do you know if Jobs is announcing new laptops this round?

That's one way to get around the restriction on buying computers.

Crap, I just discovered my collection of vintage computer cases are obsolete. None of my bags will hold this thing. I'm looking at the Targus XL backpack.

I also see they eliminated the PCMCIA slot. I like the six USB ports. I won't need a hub. Bluetooth should eliminate the USB connection for my phone, PDA, and mouse.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 07:20 AM)
Crap, I just discovered my collection of vintage computer cases are obsolete. None of my bags will hold this thing. I'm looking at the Targus XL backpack.

I also see they eliminated the PCMCIA slot. I like the six USB ports. I won't need a hub. Bluetooth should eliminate the USB connection for my phone, PDA, and mouse.

I'll pipe up here on the bag...

If you want a backpack type bag, I got one a while back that is just about the coolest pack ever (of the non-camping variety). Check out bags with the brand name Swiss Gear. I don't know what model this is, but can hold even large laptops, has every kind of pocket you need, comfy straps, useful compartments, and can hold a butt-load of stuff. Plus its tough as hell.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
I'll pipe up here on the bag...

If you want a backpack type bag, I got one a while back that is just about the coolest pack ever (of the non-camping variety). Check out bags with the brand name Swiss Gear. I don't know what model this is, but can hold even large laptops, has every kind of pocket you need, comfy straps, useful compartments, and can hold a butt-load of stuff. Plus its tough as hell.

I saw the synergy bag and it does look great, but near as I can tell it will only accomodate up to a 15.4" display. Their website sucks for tech specs.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)

I would hold off until after the keynote. You never know how many "AND"s Job will have this time. They just bumped the macbook up to a core duo 2. I