UPDATE: Uribe now certain he'll play

chisox2334

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how many times have I been shot down with it so far???

The search function is down (:angry:) but I recall you supporting Steve Finley over Podsednik for 2007 and as a defensive metric you used FLD%.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe Christian Guzman could be had. Throw a decent starter (Broadway/Phillips) out there and get something else decent on top of him. Assuming Guzman is trying to be a MLB player again. s***, Gilluen will demand Alex Gonzalez.

Broadway for Cristian Guzman?

That is absurdly stupid.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
The search function is down (:angry:) but I recall you supporting Steve Finley over Podsednik for 2007 and as a defensive metric you used FLD%.

Broadway for Cristian Guzman?

That is absurdly stupid.

Hence my stating that we would get something more on top of Guzman. If Uribe is out we are not dealing from a position of strength and every GM knows that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
First of all, f*** s*** cock balls son of a b****, there goes the defense

Secondly, the mass of Soxtalk would be completely pissed about Cintron at SS come, oh, April 18th.

Third, don't strike up any trade rumors about big name players, because at this point, the value of these players will completely destroy what KW has built up (meaning probable packages of Crede, Gio, and Danks for ARod and Tejada).

And finally...Podsednik for Carillo and Blanks beau? If we're getting that much for garbage, why don't we just take Greene from them and keep Crede? And horrid platoon of Sledge and Cruz? Sledge has never really been a good player, but every season Cruz has been in the big leagues, he's had a respectable season. As an 8 hitter, he's worth hanging on to at like $650K or whatever ridiculously cheap salary he's at.

I'm surprised they don't C*** out cock. Hm... learn something new everyday.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hence my stating that we would get something more on top of Guzman. If Uribe is out we are not dealing from a position of strength and every GM knows that.

Having Guzman on the team hurts us. Giving up ANYTHING to get him is just like picking at a scab.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
f-off.

point being, uribe isnt as great of a defensive SS as you think and Cintron isnt as poor. Offensively Cintron is far superior to Uribe.

im not saying that fielding % is the only gauge of defensive skills, however from a fielding % comparison they are equivilent.

Also from a fielding percentage comparison, they are as good as Ozzie Smith. Its a horrible way of analyzing defensive players. Its not that hard to understand.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are going to have to get some infield insurance, however.

The Cubs seemed to sour on Ronny Cedeno-any thoughts?

Behind Cristian Guzman he's the most worthless piece of s*** in the MLB.

Doesn't walk, strikesout a buttload, doesn't hit for average, can't make great plays, and can't make routine plays.

Did you bother to check his numbers to see how bad of a player he actually is before posting this? :huh:

For crying out loud, Juan, get your ass out of that s*** hole you call "mi paiz." You're sitting on a pile of good old American greenbacks. Buy off this banana farmer sitting behind the bench, hook yourself up with a swinging condo in Miami and let's play some ball. Aye chingara!

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(dwalteroo @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
I'm not an attorney, but this seems like a judge making it known that he's in charge. I don't think this would last unless there were really something to the case, in which instance Uribe would perhaps be in custody or out on bail and not allowed to leave the country anyways (assuming that's how it works down there).

I am an attorney. And my conclusion is that Juan Uribe is still fat.

Well if you're looking to trade for a replacement on the cheap, it's pretty slim pickings;

Clint Barmes

Juan Castro

Jack Wilson

Angel Berroa

So good luck to KW on this one.

I rate Cintron higher than most, so I don't think it's "THE SKY IS FALLING" if he has to play most days.

'm just wondering if you ever saw Alex Cintron play when he was with the Diamondbacks?

No I didn't.

I just think we need to dump Juan. He looks fat and he's apparently in trouble with the authorities.

Who needs him?

Alex had a pretty good year last year I thought.

I would suspect we'll be reading something in the Trib soon about how Uribe

will be allowed to play for us this year.

That item seems kind of weird.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
Barmes would be a good bat, how's his D?

IIRC, his defense his actually very good at SS, but last season he really crashed back to earth and hit only about .220.

They just re-signed Jamey Carroll to a 2 year deal though, and have Quintella and Tuzlowski (something like that) ready in the minors.

So if you could get him for a prospect, it could be worth looking at, and hoping he can rebound with the bat.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 01:24 AM)
No I didn't.

I just think we need to dump Juan. He looks fat and he's apparently in trouble with the authorities.

Who needs him?

Alex had a pretty good year last year I thought.

I would suspect we'll be reading something in the Trib soon about how Uribe

will be allowed to play for us this year.

That item seems kind of weird.

Well I have watched quite a bit of Alex Cintron over the years and I can say with great certainty that the only things Cintron does better than Uribe are base running, contact (not by much) and cardio. Uribe kicks the s*** out of Alex in power and defensive prowess especially, 2 of the most important characteristics of a shortstop. Cintron just doesn't have the tools you look for in a starting shortstop IMO.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Well I have watched quite a bit of Alex Cintron over the years and I can say with great certainty that the only things Cintron does better than Uribe are base running, contact (not by much) and cardio. Uribe kicks the s*** out of Alex in power and defensive prowess especially, 2 of the most important characteristics of a shortstop. Cintron just doesn't have the tools you look for in a starting shortstop IMO.

The only thing Cintron has over Uribe in my mind is defense.

I'd take Cintron's ability to hit for a better average and get on base at a better rate than for Uribe's ability to hit about 20HR's, when he's only going to get on base at a sub .300 rate.

If Alex was given the chance to play everyday, I think he could put up numbers to what he did in his best season for the D-Backs.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 02:50 AM)
The only thing Cintron has over Uribe in my mind is defense.

I'd take Cintron's ability to hit for a better average and get on base at a better rate than for Uribe's ability to hit about 20HR's, when he's only going to get on base at a sub .300 rate.

If Alex was given the chance to play everyday, I think he could put up numbers to what he did in his best season for the D-Backs.

Since when is getting on base one of Alex Cintron's strong points?

And here's another possible option, Luis Gonzalez;

With no room for the right-handed hitter on their bench, the Rockies are discussing Luis Gonzalez with the Yomiuri Giants of Japan.

Gonzalez belongs in the majors, not in Japan, and would be worthy of the Kevin Millar treatment if the Rockies decide to put him on waivers. The 27-year-old is a .283/.321/.427 hitter in 875 at-bats as a major leaguer and is capable of handling three infield positions and both outfield corners. If there's room for David Newhan on a major league 40-man roster, there's room for Gonzalez.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
Since when is getting on base one of Alex Cintron's strong points?

I actually thought it was better than it was, but the numbers don't lie.

Still I mean in my mind .285/.310/.392 looks better than .235/.257/.441.

And I think both are certainly capable of raising their OBP's, Cintron's best is a .359 in 03 for the D-Backs, while Uribe's is .327 in 04 for the White Sox.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 02:59 AM)
And here's another possible option, Luis Gonzalez;

I actually thought it was better than it was, but the numbers don't lie.

Still I mean in my mind .285/.310/.392 looks better than .235/.257/.441.

And I think both are certainly capable of raising their OBP's, Cintron's best is a .359 in 03 for the D-Backs, while Uribe's is .327 in 04 for the White Sox.

Ok if we're going to look at things this way. Cintron's .359 OBP came in a season which he hit .317 meaning his high OBP was directly related to his near .320 BA which is something he's never even come close to duplicating as a matter of fact the highest he ever hit in the minors was .322 as a 23 year old in AAA he never came close to that at any other point in his big league career.

Anyway, when debating between Cintron and Uribe I find it pretty ridiculous to bring plate discipline or OBP into the argument seeing as they both suck at drawing walks and are free swingers by nature. I don't think anyone really knows who Juan Uribe is, whether he's the .833 OPS player he was in '04 or the .698 he put up last season is the true Juan but 2 things are for certain he's still one of the best defensive players in the game at an incredibly crucial defensive position and he's shown good power on a consistent basis.

Alex on the other hand is a good bat, he seems to be a pretty good contact guy with limited power and limited speed. He doesn't have the defensive skills you're looking for out of your SS but he is a decent baserunner. In other words he's a very good bat to have off the bench but from what he's shown at the major league level I'd much rather have him at around 300 ABs per season kicking ass for me in a pinch hitting role than picking up 600 ABs as my starting SS.