Our Offseason

pale_hose

So what the hell is going on with our team? We're losing some starting pitching, and now maybe even our short stop?! Is anyone else worried, or confused? Or we all should just cool our jets and wait to see how our boys perform in spring training. We know our bullpen is probably one of, if not the best, in the AL. I'm actually not too awfully worried about our starting pitching. Only the 5th spot. But, hopefully we'll find a way to put someone quality in there. Our lineup is going to be among the best again, because I feel Pods and Anderson will have better years. Right now, Im a little worried, but not too bad. What do you guys think?

IMO, its all about the starting pitching, and knowing that is heartening to me. At this point the only real change from last year's regular rotation is the loss of Garcia. Looking at his performance last year, I consider it addition by subtraction if the new 5th is anywhere near half decent. Beyond that, none of the other 4 are coming off career years, with MB's down year and Count's injury-hampered year likely to turn around in 2007. All in all then, I am not ecstatic but I am comfortably optimistic.

SFF

QUOTE(pale_hose @ Jan 5, 2007 -> 11:52 PM)
So what the hell is going on with our team? We're losing some starting pitching, and now maybe even our short stop?! Is anyone else worried, or confused? Or we all should just cool our jets and wait to see how our boys perform in spring training. We know our bullpen is probably one of, if not the best, in the AL. I'm actually not too awfully worried about our starting pitching. Only the 5th spot. But, hopefully we'll find a way to put someone quality in there. Our lineup is going to be among the best again, because I feel Pods and Anderson will have better years. Right now, Im a little worried, but not too bad. What do you guys think?

no sweat- were gonna win the world series, im confident in this.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 8, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
And hopefully, at no point between now and 5 years from now will our rotation be anything less than "Good" to "Very Good".

Next season we will have the best rotation in the Central and at least a top five staff in the majors. Couple that with all of our offense returning we are in great shape. Our bullpen is a lot deeper and has a chance to be very good. We traded a middle relieved and a starter for 4 potential starters so in my estimation we have had a really good offseason

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Next season we will have the best rotation in the Central and at least a top five staff in the majors. Couple that with all of our offense returning we are in great shape. Our bullpen is a lot deeper and has a chance to be very good. We traded a middle relieved and a starter for 4 potential starters so in my estimation we have had a really good offseason

I'd take the Tigers starting rotation over the Sox, and I'd put our rotation on par with that of the Indians.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 04:25 PM)
I'd take the Tigers starting rotation over the Sox, and I'd put our rotation on par with that of the Indians.

Agree on the Tigers...not on the Indians. They would have to show that they can hack it for a full season first. And it's not fair anyway, Sabathia can be counted as two...maybe two-and-a-half starters.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
Dumbing it down

Sabathia>Buehrle

Contreras>Westbrook

Garland>Lee(close IMO)

Vazquez>Byrd

Sowers>Floyd

Now that doesn't mean a damn thing, and I'm not really sure why I just wasted 3 min doing that, but thats the way I see it.

The thing is with the Indians, they don't have a lot of good young pitching in the minors which is unlike us.

They've only really got Adam Miller, who's had arm problems, unless I'm just forgetting anyone else.

I really like Sowers and consider him a mini Buehrle though.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
Dumbing it down

Sabathia>Buehrle

Contreras>Westbrook

Garland>Lee(close IMO)

Vazquez>Byrd

Sowers>Floyd

Now that doesn't mean a damn thing, and I'm not really sure why I just wasted 3 min doing that, but thats the way I see it.

I know it's heresy, but I think the Indians have a better starting staff than the Sox. Last year CLE had a better overall ERA (4.41 to 4.61), with Westbrook having a better ERA than Contreras, Lee better than Garland, and Vazquez and Byrd almost even (4.84 to 4.88). Granted, the Jake is easier to pitch at than the Cell and I don't know what the park-adjusted stats are. Still CLE's key pitchers are young and likely to improve, and they can expect Sowers and Sabathia to pitch more innings this year. I know that it'e easy to say Sabathia will get hurt and Sowers is just a rookie, but I think objectively it's at least arguable who has the better pitching. I'm not real excited by the idea of Floyd, Sisco, and Logan being on the Sox. I have very little confidence in any of those guys, although Logan at least performed OK in AAA last season.

The AL Central simply looks loaded in 2007.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
The thing is with the Indians, they don't have a lot of good young pitching in the minors which is unlike us.

They've only really got Adam Miller, who's had arm problems, unless I'm just forgetting anyone else.

I really like Sowers and consider him a mini Buehrle though.

At the risk of sounding like a Wahoo fan -- and really I'm anything but; I've viscerally disliked them since the the bat-corking Belle, Lofton, Alomars teams and it galls me everytime the Sox sign one of their retreads -- their minor laegue pithcing is fairly strong. Sickels gives them two A- prospects in Miller and Lofgren and 3 B- prospects. He gives the Sox 6 pitching prospects in the B+/B/B- range (Danks B+, Gonzalez B, Haeger, Broadway, McCulloch, Masset B-). It's just one guy's rankings, but the systems are pretty comparable for pitching I think.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jan 9, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
I know it's heresy, but I think the Indians have a better starting staff than the Sox. Last year CLE had a better overall ERA (4.41 to 4.61), with Westbrook having a better ERA than Contreras, Lee better than Garland, and Vazquez and Byrd almost even (4.84 to 4.88). Granted, the Jake is easier to pitch at than the Cell and I don't know what the park-adjusted stats are. Still CLE's key pitchers are young and likely to improve, and they can expect Sowers and Sabathia to pitch more innings this year. I know that it'e easy to say Sabathia will get hurt and Sowers is just a rookie, but I think objectively it's at least arguable who has the better pitching. I'm not real excited by the idea of Floyd, Sisco, and Logan being on the Sox. I have very little confidence in any of those guys, although Logan at least performed OK in AAA last season.

The AL Central simply looks loaded in 2007.

ERA+ is a park adjusted stat so it's often a good tool for comparing players. below average

Player (age): ERA+ | WHIP

Contreras (53): 109 | 1.27

Westbrook (29): 107 | 1.43

Garland (27): 103 | 1.36

Lee (28): 102 | 1.41

Vazquez (30): 96 | 1.30

Byrd (36): 92 | 1.50