Mark Buehrle on the Score

spataro51

MB was on white sox weekly and he surprised me a little by saying and quote "YOU CAN PUT IT ON RECORD RIGHT NOW THAT I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT IF THE CARDINALS AND WHITE SOX CAME TO ME WITH THE SAME CONTRACT I WOULD SIGN WITH THE WHITE SOX BECAUSE MY HEART AND SOUL IS WITH THE WHITE SOX.. AND I ALWAYS WANT TO BE A WHITE SOX." Well lets hope something can get done here to keep him on the sox.... i was under the impression before the interview that he was intending on testing free agency, but now i am starting to think otherwise. KW lets give him a fare deal.... heck we saved alot of money this offseason allready. I believe this team has a few leaders on this team. Konerko being a leader for the offense, AJ being a leader for heck everyone and of course MB is a leader for the pitchers. He is watching every single pitch that is thrown in every game, along with supporting and helping everyone else on the team. OH and who can forget a FAN FAVORITE! Who else will go sliding on the tarp during rain delays or grab the microphone to address 40,000 fans at a game!

Edited by spataro51

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got out of the car, heard an interesting interview with Mark Buehrle.

It was a lot of BS about offseason hunting, and then the question was raised about his wearing a Cardinals hat at the World Series.

Mark stated that he's never been shy about the fact that he's a Cardinals fan. He was raised that way, he always will be that way, BUT he said he wanted to go on record that if he were offered the same contract by the Cardinals and the White Sox he would "100% sign with Chicago." Chicago is where his heart is, and where he wants to stay.

Just thought you would all like to hear that.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
Just got out of the car, heard an interesting interview with Mark Buehrle.

It was a lot of BS about offseason hunting, and then the question was raised about his wearing a Cardinals hat at the World Series.

Mark stated that he's never been shy about the fact that he's a Cardinals fan. He was raised that way, he always will be that way, BUT he said he wanted to go on record that if he were offered the same contract by the Cardinals and the White Sox he would "100% sign with Chicago." Chicago is where his heart is, and where he wants to stay.

Just thought you would all like to hear that.

I do like hearing that. :)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Fine Mark...then do 1 more thing if you like the Fans in Chicago so much. Tell us how much it would take right now for you to sign an extension. Let us judge whether or not you're asking something reasonable.

What do you consider reasonable, with the current going prices of pitchers on the market?

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 10:10 AM)
What do you consider reasonable, with the current going prices of pitchers on the market?

Honestly, I don't know, but I want to know if it would take Zito-money for him to sign.

Hell, I'd consider the yearly cost of Zito if the contract was quite a bit shorter than 7 years.

If i was KW, I will take the same approach with MB as he did with Konerko, make him deliver that season, and honor him if he does, or if he falters again then offer him a fair contract (which would still be bloated by this market), of course there is the risk of him signing elsewhere, but signing him now is a risk that we could get stuck with a huge contract and a player who lost the ability to get guys out. I would wait and sign him later

My prediction: Buehrle won't be back.

I think it's obvious that the White Sox have no intention of giving ANY pitcher a four or five year deal at 12-15 per season.

Especially guys who have thrown as many innings as Buehrle.

We saw it in the past when they let McDowell, Fernandez and Alvarez go.

We saw it this year when they traded Garcia and tried to trade Garland to Houston.

They're going to keep doing it, by trying to collect enough healthy young arms, hoping that one or two of the guys come through.

They've pretty much said they think the market overvalues pitchers.

We're going young.

get ready for it.

What would you expect him to say, especially on a Chicago radio station? It would be interesting if he truely felt that way when the Cardinals were actually permitted to give him an offer, ie he's not under contract with the White Sox. This is a non story. Did they mention any off season conditioning? Supposedly he and Ozzie believed he wasn't in very good shape last season. I still wonder why at times he wears that sleeve thing on his elbow.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
We're going young.

get ready for it.

I'm plenty ready for it, I just don't like the idea of going young by losing Mark Buehrle for draft pick compensation alone when he should be worth significantly more than that in a trade.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
I'm plenty ready for it, I just don't like the idea of going young by losing Mark Buehrle for draft pick compensation alone when he should be worth significantly more than that in a trade.

I'm sure he's been shopped. His second half and contract status must hurt his value. If the Sox keep him and he returns to form and they win a WS, having him 1 season would more than make up for the difference between a couple of draft picks, and some attractive trade package.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
What would you expect him to say, especially on a Chicago radio station? It would be interesting if he truely felt that way when the Cardinals were actually permitted to give him an offer, ie he's not under contract with the White Sox. This is a non story. Did they mention any off season conditioning? Supposedly he and Ozzie believed he wasn't in very good shape last season. I still wonder why at times he wears that sleeve thing on his elbow.

He makes the Sox look the bad guys at this point in time though. Pretty smart if you ask me.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
He makes the Sox look the bad guys at this point in time though. Pretty smart if you ask me.

exactly right.

agent inspired talk.

Maggs didn't want to leave. He left.

Ventura didn't want to leave. He left.

they all say they don't want to leave.

Paulie stayed -- and took a few less bucks.

He's the very well paid exception -- not the rule.

So he said if it came down to the Cardianals and Sox offering the same contract he'd pick this Sox? Talk about spin, I never expected the guy to sign with the Cardinals anyway, I expect him to sign with the highest bidder on the open market which in all likely hood would not be the Sox or Cards.

If he came on and said he'd be willing to accept a contract similar to what the other starters on the team got then yeah this might be news but nothing has changed between yesterday and today. KW has already tried to re-sign him and failed, no one has to be the bad guy in a situation like this but both sides will be making statements trying to push the blame on the other guy. I'm willing to accept the fact that Mark is looking to cash in big time for his 'prime years' contract and that the asking price is just too much for the Sox. I don't see a need to blame either side.

But if the Cardinals offered me $0.000001 more, hello St. Louis :P

People all love their employers and believe they will stay forever, but like in every line of work, people switch companies. Frank Thomas took less, a couple of times, and was later discarded. Fisk was released without a farewell. I'll cheer for whomever is in the uniform. If Mark got a better deal tomorrow and left, it would not change what he did in Chicago and I would always enjoy those games he pitched and wish him luck. No hard feelings, it's just the business side of the game.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)

People all love their employers and believe they will stay forever, but like in every line of work, people switch companies. Frank Thomas took less, a couple of times, and was later discarded. Fisk was released without a farewell. I'll cheer for whomever is in the uniform. If Mark got a better deal tomorrow and left, it would not change what he did in Chicago and I would always enjoy those games he pitched and wish him luck. No hard feelings, it's just the business side of the game.

exactly right.

the only thing that concerns me is that it often seems like Sox players leave with more bitterness and anger than you see with other teams.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
So he said if it came down to the Cardianals and Sox offering the same contract he'd pick this Sox? Talk about spin, I never expected the guy to sign with the Cardinals anyway, I expect him to sign with the highest bidder on the open market which in all likely hood would not be the Sox or Cards.

If he came on and said he'd be willing to accept a contract similar to what the other starters on the team got then yeah this might be news but nothing has changed between yesterday and today. KW has already tried to re-sign him and failed, no one has to be the bad guy in a situation like this but both sides will be making statements trying to push the blame on the other guy. I'm willing to accept the fact that Mark is looking to cash in big time for his 'prime years' contract and that the asking price is just too much for the Sox. I don't see a need to blame either side.

+1

Here's the problem.

He's not going to take less than $14 to $15 million a season for at least 4 seasons, and the White Sox probably won't offer anything more than a 3 year contract in the $11-$12 million range.

Someone's going to have to bend here, and I have a hard time thinking it's Buerhle's, given the free agent market, and what some team will likely offer.

On top of that, considering that the White Sox are probably not going to offer the same contract that some team will on the free agent market, it's easy for Buerhle to say that all things being equal, the White Sox are his choice.

Edited by spiderman

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 06:31 PM)

We won't lose him for a draft pick. He will be traded before that happens. I would like to see MB stay, but I don't see it happening with the way the free agent market went absolutely nuts. The Sox won't pay and instead will look to trade him for prospects.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
We won't lose him for a draft pick. He will be traded before that happens. I would like to see MB stay, but I don't see it happening with the way the free agent market went absolutely nuts. The Sox won't pay and instead will look to trade him for prospects.

I don't think he'll be traded in-season unless the White Sox aren't contenders.

Williams likes the pitching staff, and he feels confident enough in the offense to have not touched it so he obvioulsy feels this team will be AL contenders next season. If that holds true, we're not trading Buerhle for prospects in August.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
I don't think he'll be traded in-season unless the White Sox aren't contenders.

Williams likes the pitching staff, and he feels confident enough in the offense to have not touched it so he obvioulsy feels this team will be AL contenders next season. If that holds true, we're not trading Buerhle for prospects in August.

If we're in contention, I agree. KW will want to go for it. However, it will be interesting if MB is doing well, keeping trade value high, and we see Danks, Sisco, and Gio lighting it up in AAA.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
If we're in contention, I agree. KW will want to go for it. However, it will be interesting if MB is doing well, keeping trade value high, and we see Danks, Sisco, and Gio lighting it up in AAA.

If we're in contention, I'm assuming Buerhle's part of it - KW is not going take that sort of chance just to get a few more prospects when, as you say, Danks, Sisco (he'll probably be in the pen), and Gio are already lighting things up in AAA.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 6, 2007 -> 01:14 PM)

lol that's true, sure he may want to stay in Chicago but he'd be willing to go to St. Louis aswell.