First Ballot Performance by Sox players

StatManDu

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just noticed that you left Albert Belle off the Hall of Fame first ballot list.

Thanks for checking in. I didn't include every former Sox player -- just the ones who I thought were significant, memorable or had a legitimate chance at the Hall. It was a subjective list. Belle received 7.7 percent of the vote Tuesday -- his first time -- and gets to say on because he received at least 5 percent.

QUOTE(StatManDu @ Jan 10, 2007 -> 09:17 AM)
Thanks for checking in. I didn't include every former Sox player -- just the ones who I thought were significant, memorable or had a legitimate chance at the Hall. It was a subjective list. Belle received 7.7 percent of the vote Tuesday -- his first time -- and gets to say on because he received at least 5 percent.

For some reason I really liked Albert Belle. I mean the press hated him. He was surly to the point of beligerence. He got caught with a corked bat . Yet he really seemed to play hard and he put up monster numbers the few years he was with the Sox. I think I just liked him because everyone else disliked him. He played with an attitude. He reminds me of AJ in that way only to a higher degree, where he crossed the line from being a mere pest to having his sanity questioned.

His career was shortened by injuries and I haven't checked his lifetime stats but I think he deserved more votes then he got. It wouldn't be the first time the press held a grudge.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
For some reason I really liked Albert Belle. I mean the press hated him. He was surly to the point of beligerence. He got caught with a corked bat . Yet he really seemed to play hard and he put up monster numbers the few years he was with the Sox. I think I just liked him because everyone else disliked him. He played with an attitude. He reminds me of AJ in that way only to a higher degree, where he crossed the line from being a mere pest to having his sanity questioned.

His career was shortened by injuries and I haven't checked his lifetime stats but I think he deserved more votes then he got. It wouldn't be the first time the press held a grudge.

381 home runs, 1726 career hits, 1239 RBI. .295 career BA, 933 OPS.

If he put up those numbers in the late 70's, he might have a reasonable shot. But by comparison with the juiced ball/steroid era of the 90's, he just doesn't measure up.

5 time All-star. 3 times top 3 in MVP voting. 5 time top 10 in MVP voting. In strike season became 1st major leaguer ever to hit 50 HR's and 50 doubles. In 2nd season with the Sox he hit .328, 49 HR's, 48 doubles , 152 RBI's, 399 total bases in what was arguably one of the best seasons ever by a White Sox. Everything you mentioned was done in only 12 seasons before an degenerative arthritic hip forced him to retire.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jan 11, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
It think Tim Raines may get in the hall maybe not on the first ballot. As for Robin Ventura, he was one of my favorites but doubt if it is HOF caliber.

I agree with the execption of one word ... doubt ... Robin is not Hall material.